Pages

Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial Day Poem

I wanted to share this poem my Uncle Gary wrote when he was in Vietnam.  He also died there, so today on Memorial Day, I remember him.  He was my dad's youngest brother.
Here is a picture of him.  It is the only one I have of him as an adult.  I have one of him with my dad when he was a little boy and I do not have his military picture.  I never met my Uncle Gary.  He died the same year I was born.


Vietnam

Here I am in Vietnam

So many miles from home

But though I am so far away

I know I’m not alone.



As I was nearing Vietnam

I almost shed a tear

As I bowed my head in heartfelt prayer

Dear Lord, remove my fear



And when the plane landed

It was plain for me to see

That here in this dense jungle land

I would have no luxury



This war is mean, and this war is cruel

And many men must die

Yet there seems to be no answer

To our single question Why?



There are no boys in Vietnam

So onward we must go

For all the units fight bravely on

To conquer Viet foe



The people here in Vietnam

In this small community

They know the real meaning

Of the words real poverty



To stop the Communists

Is the reason we must try

For in it lies the answer

To our simple question Why?



And back home I miss you all

And if there is something you want to do

Say a prayer that this war will end

And I’ll soon be home with you.

                             …Gary Lee Burkett

7 comments:

  1. Oh my Lori, I cried reading your hero uncle's poem. Sad sorrow yet pride in his words. God bless your family for producing such a hero who in poetry made us see how and what those men went through. It's a shame today's youth don't realize their freedoms are because of men like your uncle and men and women in my family went through for us. Thank you dear Lori for sharing this. Have a blessed day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears in Alabama. Having come of age during the VietNam war, this is still intensely personal. Thank you for honoring your uncle in this manner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful tribute to your uncle.
    God Bless the men and women who died for our freedoms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. What better to post on this day. Thank you for blessing us with your Uncle's words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so beautiful and sad. I'm so sorry he lost his life in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful, yet sad poem. A great post to honor your uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Lori! What a beautiful poem. I am saying a prayer for your Uncle and also thanking him for sacrificing his life for our freedom! Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.