Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? no, I live in the country, but there are some about 20 miles away more in the city.
2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents? no
3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend? I will not be traveling at all.
4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? fried chicken
5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? Oh yes! Our A/C has been on a couple of weeks.
6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA? not that I can think of.
7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen. Ten Things I Hate About You (1999)...I am guessing you guys have seen all of the movies I have seen. hahahaha
8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction? nope
9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now? General Chicken
Happy Memorial Day Weekend!