Pages

Friday, May 17, 2019

Saturday 9- Secret Love

http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com/



Secret Love (1953)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.


Rest in peace, Doris Day (1922-2019)
 
1) In this song Doris admits she's spoken to the stars, "the way dreamers often do." Do you often daydream?  Oh my word!  All...The...Time!  I am often lost in my own thoughts.


2) What's the last secret you kept? (It doesn't have to be romantic.)  My co-worker told me something this week in confidence and I am not saying a word.

3) While "Secret Love" was one of Miss Day's best-selling records, and the song won an Oscar, she did not perform it at the Academy Awards Ceremony. She said she was just too nervous to sing it live before an international television audience and an auditorium full of entertainment professionals. When did you last suffer an attack of nerves?  Every time I see a doctor I have to do breathing to calm me down before the doctor comes in.  I am not sure what I think they are going to do to me, but I sure get myself worked up in my older age.

4) Doris' well-publicized attack of Oscar stage fright was unexpected because she began her career as a band singer, performing before live audiences every night. But she reportedly did develop more phobias over the years, including a fear of flying. Is there anything that scares you now, as an adult, that didn't frighten you as a child?  YES!  I feel like I did the same thing...developed fears as I grew older and possibly more attentive to things.  I was never afraid of heights when I was a kid and now I am.  I can go right up anything, but I get scared coming down. 
 
5) Doris Day made 39 movies between 1948 and 1968. She said one of her favorite things about filmmaking was working with costume designers on her wardrobe. Do you enjoy shopping for clothes?  not really.  I wish I had more money and time.  I might enjoy it then.

6) Doris confessed that when she had to lose weight for a role, she gave up ice cream. If we checked your freezer, would we find any ice cream?  yes.  I had to stop eating ice cream when I was having gall bladder problems a couple of years ago, but now that my gall bladder is out I can eat it fine and I even crave it in the summer.
 
7) In 1985 she hosted a cable show called Doris Day's Best Friends. She used the show as a platform to promote pet adoptions and animal welfare. Most of the guests were  celebrity friends who reportedly donated their salaries for appearing on the show to Doris' pet foundation. Did you more recently ask a friend for a favor, or perform a favor for a friend?  It goes both ways for us, but most recently I asked a friend for a favor.



8) For more than 20 years, Doris co-owned the Cypress Inn in Carmel, CA. The Inn expects to continue on without her, and maintain the pet-friendly policies she introduced. Have you ever traveled with your dog or cat?  I have not, but I do appreciate pet friendly places just in case.

9) Random question: What's the last thing you complained about?  The heat here...Hahahahaha, it isn't even that hot yet.  It was high 80's today.  I hate being sweaty.


I was so sad to hear about the passing of Doris Day.  My son Josh loves her.  I am sure he will want to show me some of her movies once I am done with school.  Do you have a favorite you would share that we could look for?  

http://gloriafiles.bravehost.com/

12 comments:

  1. Pillow Talk is a favorite of mine for Doris Day as well as Teacher's Pet, which is very good. Hope you get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really was a Doris Day fan, but my grandmother loved her! I was sad to hear of her passing and then the lost of Tim Conway soon after was a shock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Doris Day movie is Young at Heart, with Frank Sinatra. (And her name is Lori!)

    #3 -- Me, too! When I was younger, I felt good about taking care of myself by getting check ups. Now I'm worried about what the doctor might find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are opposite on the gallbladder thing. I have trouble with dairy products since I had mine out, but since I'm not a big ice cream eater it's all good.

    As for Doris Day movies, Pillow Talk was always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Young at Heart, (but with resentment against her jealous sister and Frank Sinatra). Young at Heart was actually a remake of another movie which was called (I think) Four Daughters, and the movie ended differently. I also enjoyed I'll See You in My Dreams and Love Me or Leave Me. Glad you can eat ice cream again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am soooo looking forward to the 80 degree weather!! Oh man, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't have my ice cream!! Made myself a big ole bowl of banana split last night as I worked on my post! Loved your answers! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you about that height issue and coming down.. SO I just use the elevator all the time now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a compulsive daydreamer as well! (Remember that Monkees song, Daydream Believer … I loved that.) Love that your son enjoys watching old movies with you. He sounds like a Very.Special young man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our spring weather has yet to really arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ice cream, one of the last big joys of life. I'd eat it every day if it were possible. I mean, not allowed. lol
    Day dreaming is good for anxiety if you just put it in your mind that you won't tolerate and daymares. yup. ;o) Have a lovely sunny weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are lot of foods I can't tolerate since I had my gallbladder removed, including apples. It is rather frustrating. That operation doesn't always work well for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed Doris Day's movies. So sorry she has passed away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.