Pages

Friday, March 20, 2020

Saturday 9- Complete Symphonies (2019)

               http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com/






This week we're classing up the joint with a well-received box-set by the Danish Chamber Orchestra. You can listen to the orchestra here.

1) Beethoven is one of classical music's best known composers. Do you often listen to classical music?  I used to listen to a station on the radio that had classical music, but that station is gone.  I do not get to listen to it often, but I love it.

2) Though a musical genius, Beethoven never learned to multiply or divide. When faced with a simple arithmetic problem, do you do it in your head? Or do you rely on the calculator in your phone or on your computer?  usually in my head.

3) Beethoven bathed often, which was considered "quirky" for a man of his time. (Understandable, since you had the heat the water, haul it to the tub, and then empty the tub bucket by bucket when you were done.) Do you bathe in the morning or in the evening? morning

4) Adam Fischer conducts the Danish Chamber Orchestra for this 5-disc set. He began his musical career young, when he sang in the children's choir of Budapest's National Opera House. Have you ever sung in a choir or chorus?  yes, all through school, then college and church choir also.  I am not in anything anymore though.

 
5) Mr. Fischer was awarded the Gold Medal of Arts from the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. Tell us about a prize or award you have received. (Yes, that ribbon you earned for penmanship in second grade counts.)  nothing is really coming to mind.  I did win a first place ribbon in jump rope during field day in 5th grade or so.  Oh gosh, I have lots of awards for singing too. I forgot those. BTW, I am not a good singer.  I have a good voice for harmonizing...I am an alto.



6) The Danish Chamber Orchestra is beloved in Demark. When, in 2014, the Danish Broadcasting Company announced it would no longer fund the Orchestra, citizens began a crowdfunding campaign and raised more than $1,000,000 to keep the music playing. Have you ever contributed to a crowdfunding platform, like GoFundMe, Kickstarter or FundRazr?  I have a couple of times.

7) The Orchestra's "home" is the Royal Danish Conservatory of Music in Copenhagen. Where were you when you last heard music played live?  Maybe when we were at the theater seeing Les Misérables.


8) In 2019, when this boxed set was released, China became the first nation to land a spacecraft on the far side of the moon. Are you fascinated by stories about space?  I think I am most of the time.

9) Random question: Tell us about your week. These are extraordinary times, and it might feel good to share.  Well, this was my Spring Break from school.  We literally went from early in the week that we were planning to return to school next Monday to we are closed until April 6th.  It has been very busy on the school front with everyone getting ready to pack serve meals to the kids (drive-thru grab and go) and prepare for possible longer shutdowns and online learning.  The county library sent out a message that they would be closing, so Josh and I went and stocked up on books.  I rescheduled a doctor's appointment (routine). This is all so weird.  Everything is happening so fast.  I am in Missouri, so the numbers aren't super high here yet, but I also feel like there are not enough tests to accurately show who is sick.  I have been cleaning my house.  Karl is still working (commercial construction) for now. 



18 comments:

  1. I used to be an alto too. Now, for some reason, my vocal range is about 3 notes. I can't sing any more, which makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harmonizing is difficult! I think that's a cool talent you have there.

    My doctor cancelled my routine check up, too, but it has me upset. My previous doctor moved and I've never met this one, so right now I don't have a doctor. Not good timing! The doctor's office *assured* me that if anything goes wrong this month, I can still call on them. Fingers crossed nothing goes wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an alto, too. We always sang harmony ...until one day, in junior high, we got to sing a song by the Carpenters. Karen Carpenter was an alto, too, so we altos got the melody and the sopranos had to learn about harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an alto and can harmonize as well...and then there are times I can sing Soprano as well...anyways...I think we are all in a new normal now...whatever that might be. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I love your background here. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are doing a good job of adjusting to the new normal. Most everyone I know is using the time to do all those "fun" jobs at home that they've been putting off. We're defrosting our freezer on Monday. Woohoo! Ha! I enjoyed your answers, Lori, and I love your little yellow chickies. Too cute! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am doing those fun jobs too. I usually wait until summer to do my deep cleaning, but it is happening now.

      Delete
  7. I don't listen to classical music, but guess I should because
    one of my brothers gives classical concerts on his piano.
    I take my shower at night.
    I was spelling bee champ in the 6th grade, went onto compete
    on the radio and spelled the word "odor" wrong. I spelled it
    "oder". I have never forgotten how to correctly spell it since.
    Have a great Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get my books from the library online and download them to my Kindle and now they have audiobooks and movies that you can download

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teaching is crazy right now, isn't it? We're out until April 27th (at the earliest) and we're distance learning until then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new blog dress!! so cute!!!! Man, am I glad I'm not teaching now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Extraordinary times, indeed! I love your up-beat attitude, Lori! The score from Les Miz is one of my favorite CD's … I can only imagine (envy) how cool to hear it performed in person!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are indeed strange times. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sang alto too... now, probably a bass! LOL I enjoyed your answers and love your cheery background!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lori, I was just thinking about when we went through 911 and how all the graphic artist had graphics we could use to show how we all cared and where in prayer. Will you be getting paid while you are off? The teachers here are but I don't think they knew it was going to be longer than 2 weeks. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school has told us we would get paid and the days will be forgiven, so we will not need to make them up and no standardized testing...which is great for everyone. I am not sure past the 2 weeks for the school paying us...that is all we are set to be out for now. I look for that to change though.

      Delete
    2. Our school will be out for at least 3 weeks. After that we will see what happens.

      Delete
  15. I would highly recommend Le_ meridian funding services to any person in need financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to customers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Le meridian funding service is best way to get an easy loan,here is there email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or talk to Mr Benjamin On WhatsApp Via_+1-989-394-3740 Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.