Sunday, February 12, 2017

Gallbladder surgery

I know many of you know about my gallbladder surgery, but I did want to post about it so I would have something written down here at my blog.  I had been having attacks in my abdomen for the past year and a half or so that would last a couple of hours and then go away and I would be fine.  Then I might not have another one for months.  Karl told me he thought it was my gallbladder, but it passed and I did not want to see the doctor.  Well in early January I had another one and had to be home a couple of days, then had another one a few days later and I just felt really bad.  If I tried to eat I felt sick.  My co-worker (Wendy)...her son was going through the same thing and they had found a doctor.  She gave me the number, because I had called my regular doctor and they told me it would be a year before they could see me.  The surgeon my friend recommended was able to get me in the next week, I went in and talked to him on a Tuesday, they ran an ultrasound and found gallstones and surgery was scheduled for Thursday of the same week.  I took Thursday and Friday and then Monday through Wednesday off for the next week to recover.  I had a complication when they went in.  They got my gallbladder out fine, but there was a gallstone in the bile duct the size of the end of a thumb.  They had to bring in another surgeon to scope that and get the gallstone out and they put in a stent to make sure no other gallstones were in there that could get to my pancreas or liver.  The stent has caused a great deal of pain for me.  It has been two weeks since my surgery and I am eating fine now and I am able to take less Tylenol for pain.  The first day back to work was hard.  I went back to see the surgeon again last Tuesday and he said the pain I am feeling is normal for what I had done.  My tummy still has bruising.  He said everything was healing nicely though.  I see the second surgeon on March 20th about the stent.  I have to have it removed also.  That is during Spring Break, so I am hoping they can do the surgery that week.  I will keep you posted.
I am still reading my Bible and I have stopped drinking Pepsi.  The surgery made the thought of Pepsi make me sick.  I am trying hard to not go back down that road.  I was drinking way too much caffeine.  I feel less tired now actually. 
So much has been going on, but I wanted to post about my gallbladder surgery so I can remember it.  I hope everyone is doing well.  Happy February and Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lori,

    I do drink diet 7-up and things like that, once in awhile diet coke and a real coke on my birthday or christmas. LOL!
    I don't like water so I drink water with lemon and ginger. It is hard to change bad habits isn't it?
    Just keep in your mind that health is very important and that should help you change your habits. It is so hard though, I try to eat more fruit and veggies the last few years. That was a big change for me. I am sure it will keep me healthy and healthier than I was before.
    Enjoy your day. Hugs


Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.