Saturday 9: Mom (2016)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Meghan Trainor's mom gets a vocal credit on this song ("featuring Kelli Trainor") because the audio of a mother/daughter phone call is included on the recording. Who is the last person you spoke to (not texted!) on the phone? My friend at the primary school Lori. She called me the other night.
2) The earliest version of this song was a poem co-written by Meghan and her brother as a gift to their mom. Do you enjoy writing/crafting/baking or [insert your skill here] gifts for people? buying. I am not good at making anything. I got my mom an outdoor plant for Mother's Day. I will plant it when I go visit her after school Friday. It will brighten up her house.
3) Meghan's mom ran Jewel of the Isle, a jewelry store in Nantucket, MA. Have you ever visited Massachusetts? If so, where have you gone? no, we always travel South.
4) Mother's Day is a big holiday for card shops. So are birthdays, weddings, and dozens of other special occasions. Hallmark sells greetings for everything from "Congratulations on Your New Job" to "Happy Retirement." Who received the most recent card you bought? I do not buy cards very often. I bet it was Lori though. I sent her a sympathy card when her husband passed away.
5) While Crazy Sam was growing up, her mother used to scold her for leaving dirty dishes in the sink. Sam admits it: as an adult she still puts off washing her dishes. Are you more like mother or daughter? Do you clean up after every meal, or do you let the dishes stack up? If I am cooking, I clean up as I go and I leave the kitchen clean. If I am snacking or having something easy and small, I tend to put my dish in the sink.
6) Mother's Day is for grandmothers, too. Sam grew up calling her grandmother "Grandgran." What did you call your grandmother? Granny
7) The German word for "mother" is "mutter." What other German words do you know? I never studied German, so not many...danke is thank-you though.
8) In the United Kingdom, Mothering Sunday is celebrated. It's on the fourth Sunday in Lent (March 14 this year) and in addition to flowers and cards, mothers are treated to Simnel cake. Are you going to indulge in any sweets this weekend? I will probably have a sweet snack, but not anything crazy.
9) To celebrate Mother's Day, Sam is giving away her mother's favorite: Hershey Bars! Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate with almonds? YES! I love them all. I will pick the one with almonds probably. I do love all of them though.