Monday, August 27, 2018
I do not even think I mentioned this with everything else going on, but Karl quit his job a couple of weeks ago. There was not going to be much work with the company he has been working for and so he decided it was time for a change. He got a new job...still doing commercial construction, but with a different company and he started on Thursday. He likes it so far. He feels like it will be a more stable position with fewer layoffs and maybe not being sent away from home so much. We are trying to both be here for Josh and the next job they were planning for him was far enough away that he would have to stay in a motel all week and only be home on weekends. This change will be much better for Josh.
I had my mammogram this week. I was so scared and I had always been told it would hurt. It did not hurt at all and everything was fine. The results were normal. I was happy about that. Thank-you God!
This week should be more calm. I only have that training on Friday and the other days will be just normal work days. I will keep you posted on Josh. Have a nice week!
Sunday, August 26, 2018
1. How has your life most benefited from the Internet? Whether it’s meeting people, cutting business overhead, finding rare collectibles, or simply sharing funny cat pictures, share how the web has made life easier. I am able to keep in touch with people I would otherwise not have any contact with and also meet new and exciting people from all over the world. I enjoy watching YouTube and learning make-up tricks and I also do a lot of research, I am always looking something up and learning something new. I love to shop online and look up recipes. I also get lesson plan ideas from Pinterest. So many things.
2. The getaway car is waiting outside – where is it taking you? Orange Beach, Alabama, that was my favorite vacation and I would love to go back.
3. Do you reply to comments on your blog? All of them? Or just the really interesting ones? Do you go back to check if the authors or the blogs you comment on reply to your comments? I do not usually comment back because I assume no one pays any attention. I have gone back in the past to see if there are follow up comments, but not often.
4. On average, how long does it take you to make an important decision? It depends, I do not rush into things, I pray about things carefully and then make a decision.
5. Do you gather a lot of information prior to making the decision, or do you go with your gut in the heat of the moment? uh...just answered that...I take my time.
6. What’s the most important thing you’ve learned recently? The latest thing I have researched was about a medication my son is taking. I was curious how long it could take to start helping him and what the side effects were.
7. What’s your hidden talent? Are you double-jointed? Can you sneeze the alphabet? Share your unique skill. If I have a unique skill, I must not think it is very unique because nothing is coming to mind.
8. Rate the level of intensity you have about wanting to know God – no desire, low priority, curious, great desire, high priority, desperate to learn more. Explain your answer. high priority. I want to know as much about God as I can. He is part of my life.
9. What’s one of your nicknames? How did you get that nickname? The kids at the preschool come up with all kinds of names for me...they do their best, they have speech problems, and they are just young, but I have been called Ray Ray and Becky...Becky is a joke...the teachers call me Becky. My dad called me Sapphire when I was young, it is my birthstone.
10. What do you have to have with you when you travel? Why? My phone I guess, I always want to have pictures to remember my time somewhere.
11. What do you think about reading books on an electronic reading device? Do you have an electronic reading device? Do you love it? Why? If you don’t love it, why not? I am old school and prefer holding a book in my hands, but I have read a book on a device. I did not love it. It kind of hurts my eyes, I just like holding a book and smelling the pages of a book...old school.
12. Do you prefer writing on paper or a keyboard? Why? I took classes a few years back and I would always write my papers out and then type them. I type now only if I am doing a paper. However, I do have a penpal, I do love to write letters and send them and I also like to write in my journal as well as blog online.
13. If the shoes make the man (or woman), what do your shoes say about you right now? (Assuming you’re wearing shoes. Although if you’re not, that certainly says something, too.) I am wearing tennis shoes, they are saying I want to be comfortable.
14. Describe your favorite pair of shoes. Saucony tennis shoes. I just like to be comfortable.
15. If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one ability or quality, what would it be? Be more articulate. I feel like I can write ok, but I try to talk too fast sometimes and stumble over my words. It makes me feel very insecure.
Saturday, August 25, 2018
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.
In fond remembrance of The Queen of Soul (1942-2018).
1) As befits one of America's premiere artists, Aretha Franklin sang at three Presidential inaugurations. The first was Jimmy Carter's in 1977, when she sang "God Bless America." What's your favorite patriotic song? "The Star Spangled Banner"...there is just something comforting about that song to me.
2) The daughter of a Baptist minister, Aretha grew up with church music. She told Rolling Stone one of her favorite songs was the hymn, "Victory Is Mine." What's your favorite religious song? "How Great Thou Art", it makes me cry every time I hear it. The Elvis version specifically makes me cry.
3) She welled up a bit when President George H. W. Bush presented her with the nation's highest civilian award, the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005. When is the last time you shed a tear? I cry at silly times, so probably during a movie or something, I can't remember. I also cry when I am mad, but I haven't been that mad in a while.
4) In 1980, the Queen of Soul sang for the Queen of England in a Command Performance at The Royal Albert Hall. Have you ever been to London? no, but I would love to go!
5) Since Aretha had many honorary degrees, it would have been appropriate to refer to her as Dr. Franklin. Who is the last person you referred to by his or her title (Officer, Father, Sgt., Dr., etc.)? probably my chiropractor, he was the most recent doctor I saw and I saw a lot over the summer. I try to get them out of the way, so I do not have to take off work.
6) In this week's song, Aretha tells her lover that it doesn't take a high IQ to understand what's going on in their relationship. Do you know your IQ? I actually do.
7) A sculpture of Aretha is on display at Madame Tussaud's in New York. Do you think wax museums are cool, or creepy? I have never been to a wax museum, but I would think cool.
8) Aretha and Motown legend Smokey Robinson were literally lifelong friends, since they were playground buddies in Detroit. Smokey is one of the only people who can claim to have seen The Queen of Soul with a bucket in a sandbox. If we went to the playground today, would you head for the swings, the slide or the jungle gym? Or, like Aretha, would you play in the sand? swings! I teach preschool and I still love the swings! They were always my favorite as a kid. I do not like to go high now though, it makes me dizzy.
9) Random question: Do you like pumpkin seeds? This is crazy, but I have only had them once, but yes...I do like them!
Monday, August 20, 2018
Josh was able to contact his doctor last week and his doctor decided to change his medication since it hasn't really been helping him much, I think I have mentioned it before...but because of our prescription insurance we have to get our prescriptions filled in St. Louis which is hours away. It comes in the mail. Anyway, all of that to say we still do not have his new medication, but I am expecting it early this week. I hope it helps him to feel better.
Josh did start counseling on Friday. He went back by himself and he hasn't really had much to say about it, but I hope it helps him. He will go every two weeks, but we have to wait until they could get him in their regular schedule to start sessions which is early October. I went to work after counseling and then after school I went to see my mom. We visited for several hours and then I came home.
This week I have my mammogram...which was the only thing I was not able to get in over the summer, so this should be the last thing for me. That is Thursday and then Friday some of my co-workers and I are going to some professional development training. It is almost 2 hours away. It will be a long day and we have to do it two Fridays in a row. It is curriculum training.
I hope the week goes good. Have a nice week!
Sunday, August 19, 2018
1: 3 Fears: snakes, mice and heights
2: 3 things I love: family, God, children
3: 4 turns on: kind, clean, godly, good heart
4: 4 turns off: smoking, drugs, drinking, foul language
5: My best friend: my mom
6: My favorite book: The Great Gatsby
7: My best first date: date to the theater to see Carousel
8: How tall am I: 5'4
9: What do I miss: I miss visiting with my dad and my Granie and Papa Oslin, they have passed away now.
10: What time were I born: 3:40PM
11: Favorite color: red
12: Do I have a crush: I am married, so my husband.
13: Favorite quote: *“If a child can't learn the way we teach, maybe we should teach the way
they learn.” - Ignacio Estrada *
14: Favorite place: Orange Beach, Alabama
15: Favorite food: Mexican
16: Do I use sarcasm: not that often
17: What am I listening to right now: the dryer
18: First thing I notice in new person: personality
19: Eye color: green
20: Hair color: brown
Saturday, August 18, 2018
Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: It's a Jungle Out There (Theme from Monk) (2003)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This week's song is the theme from the detective show that ran from 2002-2009. Were you a fan? Oh YES!!!! I LOVED this show and hated when it went off. I recently saw a rerun and it made me just as happy to see it as it did when it was on tv many years ago.
2) The song warns us about the air we breathe and the water we drink. Does your home have an air or water filter? no, I live in the country so the air is really clean and the town we live in has good water. It has been tested and it is good right out of the tap.
3) The lyrics say, "People say I'm crazy to worry all the time." Are you a worrier? Or do you just take things as they come? I worry about some things like my son, but overall I would say no I do not worry about things that do not matter.
4) TV's Adrian Monk is known for his outstanding deductive powers, an homage to Sherlock Holmes. Have you read any of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books featuring Sherlock Holmes? no
5) Monk was also known for fastidiousness and precision, an homage to Hercule Poirot. Have you read any of Agatha Christie's books featuring Poirot? no, I really wish I had. I love Agatha Christie
6) This song was written and performed by Grammy and Emmy winner Randy Newman. Do you have any trophies or plaques? no, not that I can think of.
7) Before winning an Oscar in 2001, Mr. Newman had the distinction of having the most nominations (15) without a win. Do you consider yourself a graceful loser? for sure! I do not mind losing at all.
8) In 2003, when this song was introduced, Lance Armstrong won his fifth Tour de France. Later, he was disgraced in a doping scandal. Can you think of a time when a hero disappointed you? Several years ago I got caught up in watching Mark McGwire hit home runs for the St. Louis Cardinals. He is actually probably why I am such a big fan, but a few years later everyone found out he and many other players were taking steroids. That was a little disappointing I guess, but maybe not a huge surprise?
9) Random question -- We're catering lunch. Should we put you down for a burger or a taco? burger
Monday, August 13, 2018
I am writing this on Sunday night, but I will schedule post on Monday. This was my last day before school...I start back on Monday. We have meetings including a motivational speaker in the morning and we will work in our classrooms in the afternoon. We have more training on Tuesday and the kids start on Wednesday.
I took Josh back to the doctor last week and the doctor said to cut his medication back to what it was before the increase. However, Josh says he is not feeling any better. He was saying his emotions are worse and he is having bad thoughts. We will contact the doctor again this week, he may just need to go ahead and make a medication change. Josh starts counseling this Friday the 17th.
I am going to try to get in the habit of doing my meme's on the weekend and then making a regular post to add on Monday morning like this every week. We will see if that happens, but that is my hope to keep you all updated. I do not post on facebook about Josh or anywhere else. I like to keep a record on here for myself as well to look back on and see what kinds of progress we are making.
I cannot believe how fast the summer went. I did enjoy watching Kelly and Ryan, Kathie Lee and Hoda and late at night James Corden...I think that is his name. He is from England...he is funny. I will miss those shows, I think everything else I can keep up with in the evening. I am a little sad this evening about going back to school, but I always am. I will be fine once I get started back.
I hope you all have a great week and I will post as soon as I can.
Sunday, August 12, 2018
1 - You’re in a tattoo parlor about to get inked. What are you getting done? Tattoos are not for me
2 - If you could be any character, from any literary work, who would you choose to be? I don't know
3 - You’re given $10,000…under one condition: you cannot keep the money for yourself. Who would you give it to? My son, he suffers with depression and anxiety and is not able to work right now...we are working on it. I would give it to him so he could have things.
4 - If you had to go back in time and change one thing, what would it be? I would have been nicer to two people in school, I was never mean, but for some reason on two occasions, I was mean to two people. I would not do that.
5 - If you had to delete one year of your life completely, which would it be? 2015, I left my old teaching job and it was very painful for a while. I had been there 10 years. I would not delete that year though, leaving has been a good thing.
6. You’re an Action Movie Hero. What’s your weapon of choice and the line you scream when defeating your arch enemy? lasers coming out of my hands to destroy things...don't mess with me.
7 - What is the first curse word that comes to mind? shit
8 - Would you rather be stranded on a desert island with someone you love for ten years or someone you hate for a month? Explain why. Love for 10 years. I can't stand to be with people I dislike for more than a few hours. If you are with someone you love, times goes by so fast.
9 - 5 things within touching distance: glasses, phone, lotion, remote control for tv, kleenex.
10 - What are you supposed to be doing right now? whatever I want, I am doing this and laundry.
11 - Currently wanting to see anyone? My family members that have passed away, my dad and Granie and Papa Oslin.
12 - Would you go against your moral code for money? depends what it was, probably not though.
13 - What’s more important to you: strength of the body or strength of the mind? mind, but both are important.
14 - How important you think education is? I thought it was very important for most of my life and I am a teacher, but my husband is a union laborer and makes way more money than I do and he did not go to college. I guess it depends on what you want to do.
15 - If you were the president, what would you do? that is one job, I do not want ever, but I would want to try to figure out some medical stuff, why so much autism? Do something about it. I work with kids with autism and I love them, but I hate to see them and their families suffer. Also, better insutrance for mental health, we are running into this problem with our son, insurance does not want to pay for mental helath care. That is not good.
Saturday, August 11, 2018
Saturday 9: The Nanny (1993)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This week's song is the theme from a sitcom that originally aired from 1993 to 1999. Were you a fan? I was! I loved that show and watched most of the episodes.
2) The song tells us that Fran once worked in a bridal shop. Have you ever worked in a retail setting? no, but I wouldn't mind it.
3) The kids in the Sheffield household appreciate their nanny's "joie de vivre," which is defined as "exuberant enjoyment of life." Are you feeling joie de vivre this morning? no, not really, I am feeling a little sad today because school is getting ready to start. I will be fine once it does though. I am like this every year at the end of the summer.
4) "The Nanny" is the colorful one, the one who wears red when everyone else wears tan. What color do you think you look best in? I am really trying to wear colors again, but I was stuck on black for a long time because I have gained a lot of weight. I like to wear back and I look good in browns or earth tones.
5) The TV show, The Nanny, was the brainchild of actress Fran Drescher. She got the idea while visiting her an old friend in London. Her friend's pre-teen daughter enjoyed having Fran as a confidante and shopping buddy. Do you enjoy shopping as a leisure activity? Or would you prefer to just dash into a store, grab what you need, and get out and go home? I am a grab and go person, my mom is a shop leisurely person. It drives me crazy.
6) The friend Fran was visiting in London was Twiggy, who was the world's most famous model in the 1960s. Name another famous model. Giselle
7) The Nanny: The Complete Series is available on DVD on Amazon. It consists of 19 discs and takes 55 hours to watch, start to finish. What TV show have you recently binge watched? I binge watched The Reverie this summer and it is good, but my latest binge was the new Agatha Christie mini series on Amazon Prime called Ordeal by Innocence. It was so good! It is 3 one hour shows.
8) The Nanny theme was sung by Liz Callaway. Her father, the late John Callway, was a long-time Chicago newscaster. Have you, or has a loved one, ever been on TV? Karl and I have both been on local tv singing in our church choir and I was once on the news when I took Josh to a reading time at the library. No one nationally though that I am aware of.
9) Random question -- Which of these adjectives comes closest to describing you: sexy, sophisticated or down-to-earth? down to earth for sure.
Tuesday, August 7, 2018
Josh is worried his medicine may be too strong, so I am taking him back to see his doctor tomorrow at 1:30PM. This is my last week off and it has been a crazy summer. I will let you guys know about the results of his visit before I go back to work. I will try really hard to pop in once school starts and let you all know how counseling is going for him and how he is doing.
1. Lounging by the Pool or Picnic by the Lake? Pool, I usually enjoy my own pool, but I haven't been able to have it out in a few years...maybe next summer...fingers crossed!
2. Shopping or Day at the Beach? I hate shopping, so day at the beach every time!
3. Favorite Restaurant or Barbecue Cookout? Oh I enjoy both! My favorite restaurant lately has been Chili's, they have everything.
4. Sports Game or Flea Market? St. Louis Cardinals baseball game. I rarely go to flea markets.
Thank-you to Toni for the Summer preferences! Want to play along? Click on the words Summer Preferences above or here is the link: http://treasuresbytoni.blogspot.com/
Sunday, August 5, 2018
1. First thing you wash in the shower? My hair
2. What colour is your favourite hoodie? black
3. Would you kiss the last person you kissed again? yes
4. Do you plan outfits? yes, the night before so I do not take so long in the morning.
5. How are you feeling RIGHT now? I feel good.
6. What’s the closest thing to you that's red? a candle
7. Tell me about the last dream you remember having? I was young and I was a princess...never dreamed I was a princess before. hahaha
8. Did you meet anybody new today? I just woke up, so no.
9. What are you craving right now? fettuccine, I have some leftover from dinner last night.
10. Do you floss? yes
11. What comes to mind when I say cabbage? cole slaw
12. Are you emotional? yes, too emotional...it is embarrassing
13. Have you ever counted to 1,000? not sure...probably not, that would take a while.
14. Do you bite into your ice cream or just lick it? I try to lick, but I end up biting.
15. Do you like your hair? I have learned to like it. It is naturally curly. I had to learning how to style it.
16. Do you like yourself? kind of
17. Would you go out to eat with George W. Bush? yes
18.What are you listening to right now? church
19. Are your parents strict? they were when I was young
20. Would you go sky diving? no
21. Do you like cottage cheese? no
22. Have you ever met a celebrity? yes
23. Do you rent movies often? define often, probably once a week
24. Is there anything sparkly in the room you're in? I don't see anything sparkly.
25. How many countries have you visited? just the U.S.
26. Have you made a prank phone call? yes, when I was in college we prank called a friend of ours every night for a couple of days using a crazy voice, then we used the voice in person with him to let him know it was us.
27. Ever been on a train? yes
28. Brown or white eggs? either
29.Do you have a cell-phone? yes
30. Do you use chap stick? I use blistex
Want to play? Click on the logo above!