Wednesday, December 30, 2020
Monday, December 28, 2020
Happy New Year!!
The Times Square ball first dropped on December 31, 1907. It is 12 feet in diameter and
1. Despite the weirdness of this past year, was it still a good year for you anyway or not?
2. How will you spend New Years Eve? We typically watch the ball drop on tv. My party
3. What do you do on New Year's Day? Is football part of the agenda? I usually take down
4. It's a Scottish tradition to kiss at midnight. Do you keep that tradition? Does everyone
May your new year be a bright and blessed one, free of trials and tribulations. All the very
Saturday, December 26, 2020
White Lights or Colored Lights? Colored
Blinking Lights or Still Lights? I love both, but in my house they are still.
When do you open your gifts? Christmas Day
Do you buy gifts for your pet? yes, they usually get toys, but this year they got new collars with
Be honest: What's the worst gift you've ever gotten? I love all gifts
Have you ever traveled for the holiday? just to family's homes.
Did you see Santa as a child? yes
Can you name all the reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen. Comet, Cupid, Donder and
Have you ever gone caroling? no
Do you drive around and look at the Christmas lights? yes
Have you ever left Santa cookies? of course
Have you ever had a white Christmas? yes, but it is very rare in Missouri...10% chance of snow
Have you ever made a gingerbread house from scratch? From a kit? neither...sad
Be honest: Do you think the season is too commercial? I love it...I just remember the reason.
Imagine you were going to create the quintessential holiday soundtrack -- which song(s) absolutely
What are your Christmas pet peeves? I am not sure. I love Christmas!
Friday, December 25, 2020
Saturday 9: Purple Snowflakes (2018)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) The lyrics ask where the snowflakes go. Sam can answer that: she shovels them! Do you shovel or use a snow blower? Or do you live in a warmer climate with no snow? We have both, I like to shovel and Karl uses the snow blower.
3) This song is from John Legend's first Christmas album, A Legendary Christmas. It was a massive hit. Did you add any new music to your holiday collection this year? no
4) John and his wife Chrissy Teigen go caroling with friends. Have you ever gone caroling through your neighborhood? no, but I would love it. We used to carol at school, we would sing Christmas carols in French, it was French class.
5) Chrissy's hobby is cooking. While she likes experimenting with new recipes, her young children prefer their familiar favorites, like mashed potatoes. She tosses a bay leaf into the water as the potatoes boil to add enhance the flavor. Do you have a dish that's considered your specialty? not really, I enjoy making lasagna and cheesy burritos the most though.
6) John prefers to unwind with a good book and loves comparing reading recommendations with friends. Did you discover any books in 2020 that you'd like to recommend to our Sat 9ers? Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell (thriller), One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus(Young Adult Fiction), The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes(Historical Fiction), The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides(thriller), Educated by Tara Westover(Memoir), Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (historical Fiction), Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (fiction) and Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (fiction). I have a couple on my list that I think will be good Anxious People by Fredrik Backman (fiction) and The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (historical fiction) and The Midnight Library by Matt Haig (fiction).
7) This song was written by Motown powerhouse Marvin Gaye. Who is your favorite Motown artist? Maybe Michael Jackson or Lionel Richie
8) In 1972, Marvin wrote another Christmas song, "I Want to Come Home for Christmas." He dedicated it to the troops then serving in Vietnam. Do you know anyone who is protecting us this holiday season? Tell us about him or her. Whether they are in the armed forces, the police or fire department, or the ER, we want to say thank you! My niece is an RN working in the hospital in Springfield...she is typically in labor and delivery, but lately has been in the covid unit. It is getting bad and they are having to move staff around. Here she is in her work outfit.
9) Random question: You go into the kitchen to make your perfect sandwich. What fixings do you need? Lately my favorite sandwich is tuna, so tuna, bread, a boiled egg and mayo. Now that is what I want to eat.
Thursday, December 24, 2020
I am going to start cooking today for Christmas dinner and cleaning up the house. We are planning to have some snacks tonight...meatballs and crackers...but we ordered pizza last night and they messed up our order, so we have some leftover pizza to eat too because they let us keep the messed up order as well as the order we made. Anyway, we are having my mom over for Christmas, so it will be myself, Karl, Josh and my mom. I got the presents wrapped finally! I am ready. Merry Christmas!
Tuesday, December 22, 2020
I have a pile here to read that I have picked up for the holiday break. I believe this one will be next for me though. The Girl from Widow Hills. It is another thriller off the Goodreads best thrillers of 2020 list.
My car is in the shop. I got stranded at the library last night and had it towed. I tried to have it jumped, but that wasn't it. Maybe the starter? I guess I will find out in time. Wednesday I will be reading and doing laundry. Have a great day!
Monday, December 21, 2020
Thank you for joining in for Tuesday 4, begun by Toni Taddeo and kept in her memory.
Christmas is fast approaching for millions of people...
1. Do you have a favorite Christmas carol and if so is there a particular version you
2.Do you have a special dinner for the holidays? What foods are included? We have ham,
3.Holiday movies ... which do you like to watch? It's a Wonderful Life
4. What traditions do you continue to keep year after year for the holidays? Tree goes up right
Saturday, December 19, 2020
Do you send out Christmas cards and if so how many do you send? I do, not as many anymore. I
Be honest: holiday newsletters. Love ‘em or hate ‘em? hate 'em, you see a lot of this stuff on
Be honest: photo cards. Love ‘em or hate ‘em? I love them. We never do them, but I love
How soon do you start shopping? Usually right around Thanksgiving.
Real or fake tree? We have a fake tree, but I got a real wreath this year and it is in the house
When do you put up your tree? The day after Thanksgiving. The outside lights go up before that.
When do you take down your tree? January 1. Then I clean house really good and get ready to go
Describe your typical tree (size, decorations, type) My tree is about 6' I guess with all kinds of
What do you top your tree with? an angel
Do you put Christmas lights outside your house? yes
Is there a wreath hanging on your door? yes
Do you hang up stockings? little ones for the dogs.
Your favorite Christmas Movie(s) It's a Wonderful Life, but have you guys seen Last Christmas?
Favorite Christmas Song(s) Oh Holy Night, Mary Did You Know, White Christmas
Be honest: If I hear this/these Christmas songs again I will throw up All I want for Christmas is You.
Give or Receive? Give!
Eggnog or Mulled Cider? Egg nog, but I like both.
Ham or Turkey? We have both at Christmas, but I would prefer to just have turkey at
Friday, December 18, 2020
Saturday 9: Happy Holidays! (from the archives)
1. As you can see, Sam loved giving her annual wish list to Santa. Yet some children are reluctant to climb into Jolly Old St. Nick's lap. Did you enjoy the tradition or were you shy? Or did you by pass it altogether -- either because you wrote him a letter or because your family didn't celebrate Christmas? I was pretty shy. My parents took me a few times, but I mostly wrote letters.
2. Are you currently on the Naughty or Nice list? How did you get there? Nice. I am just a nice person.
3. Did you ship any gifts to friends and family this year? If so, which one traveled the farthest? no
4. Did you buy yourself a gift this year? I always do. I got a new dryer and lots of goodies from bath and body as well as some lotions from Victoria's Secret, some make-up that was half off at Ulta and new gloves and scarf to go with my new coat.
5. What's your favorite holiday-themed movie? Have you seen it yet this year? Last year I watched Meet Me in St. Louis for the first time. I have seen it this year. Love it. I also love It's A Wonderful Life...haven't seen that one yet.
6. Thinking of movies, Christmas is lucrative for Hollywood. Have you ever gone to a movie theater on Christmas Day? no, I did that on Thanksgiving once, but not Christmas.
7. Have you ever suffered an embarrassing moment at the company Christmas party? I do not typically attend parties.
8. What's your favorite beverage in cold weather? hot chocolate
9. Share a memory from last Christmas. We took my mom and went to see The Nutcracker.
Saturday, December 12, 2020
3. Other trips canceled none, we do not go anywhere.
4. Last trip out of town before isolation. St. Louis to see a baseball game
6. Last Meal sitting in a restaurant before Isolation. I do not remember
7. How many books have you read? 71
8. First event you didn’t attend due to virus. The first canceled event was a woman's
9. Date and event of last over 200-person event. January 25th, 2020- Les Miserables
10. Last live music event. Les Miserables
11. Things you are eating more of since isolation. salad, only because I eat those at work.
12. Things you are eating less of since isolation. nothing really.
13. What restaurants have you gotten take-out meals from? Tequila's (Mexican),
14. Have you found yourself bored in isolation? not at all, I can entertain myself by reading,
15. Have you gained or lost weight? nope and I worked out when I was home.
16. Do you drink alcohol? no
18. What entertainments have you explored? MO Books to go...when the libraries closed
19. Gotten into anything new? Audiobooks, I had never listened to one before the pandemic.
20. Have you done crosswords? Board bames? Jigsaw puzzles? not really...just with the kids
21. Have you cleaned out some cabinet, drawer, closet, etc. thoroughly? yes!
22. Are you spending about the same amount of money? Maybe a little more since I am buying
23. Done Zoom, Facetime, etc. meetups? Zoom meetings
24. Had a social occasion with a small group of people you consider safe? Thanksgiving
25. Did you vote? In Person? On Election Day? I voted in person on election day. Everyone was
Friday, December 11, 2020
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Madonna refers to Santa as "baby," "honey" and "cutie." What's the most recent endearment someone called you? Sweet Heart, by one of my co-workers. I am no better, I call people Sweet Pea.
2) At the top of her list are a fur coat, a new convertible and a yacht. If you could receive any of those luxury items, which would you choose? A new convertible
3) She would like to decorate her tree with ornaments from Tiffany's. Do you have a favorite holiday ornament or decoration? My ornaments are all special to me in some way. I have handmade ornaments my Granie made... ornaments from online friends and real life friends and also from the kiddos over the years. I try to tell the story of each ornament each year. Here is a picture of my Hallmark Corgi ornament. I got this one for my corgi Mandy.
4) "Santa Baby" was written in 1953, before electronic payments. While her wish list includes blank checks, a 2017 survey revealed that 51% of consumers felt check writing was "a pain." Who received the last check your wrote? Who most recently gave you a check? I cannot remember the last check I wrote, but probably paying a bill. My mom probably wrote me a check for a gift or something.
5) Madonna has been a successful singer for decades, and 1985's "Into the Groove" is her top-seller. What's your favorite Madonna song? I like Material Girl, and Vogue. I liked Madonna a lot when I was younger, but not so much anymore.
6) Madonna was born in Bay City, MI, and traveled to New York City to find fame and fortune. When she first arrived, she supported herself by working at Dunkin' Donuts. What's your standard DD order? I am never able to go to Dunkin' Donuts or any other donut place for that matter.
7) The only Christmas card Sam has received so far this year is from her dentist. Have you received many cards this year? I have only received one also from a friend at school. Don't get me started on how no one sends Christmas cards anymore. I think it is sad.
8) Will you wrap many presents? Or do you prefer to use gift bags? I will wrap as many as I can. I like people to get to open a gift wrapped present, but I hate wrapping them.
9) Madonna recorded "Santa Baby" to benefit The Special Olympics. Here's your chance to plug a cause or organization that's near and dear to you. Convoy of Hope is a local organization that helps out people during natural disasters. You will see them after hurricanes and tornadoes. They go all over the world taking food and water to those that need it.