Monday, June 17, 2019
1. Who is the last person you talked to last night? Josh. We watched Double Indemnity with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck. It was really good. Then we visited about it and other things before we went off to bed.
2. What is your weather like right now? Rainy....still.
3. Where did you spend this past weekend? We stayed home. Josh was not feeling well on Saturday.
4. What's for dinner tonight? Karl and I had burgers and fries. Josh had fruit instead of fries.
Saturday, June 15, 2019
Last beverage: Sprite
Last phone call: my husband
Last text message: My co-worker Lori
Last song you listened to: Gloria- Laura Branigan (St. Louis Blues)
Last time you cried: When the Blues won the Cup! (hockey)
HAVE YOU EVER:.
Been cheated on: maybe when I was dating when I was young...I don't really know.
Kissed someone & regretted it: yes
Lost someone special: definitely
Been depressed: yes a couple of times when I have lost loved ones.
Drunk hard liquor: in college
Lost glasses/contacts I lose my sunglasses all of the time.
Last time you saw your mother Tuesday
Have you ever talked to a person named Tom yes, I know several Tom's.
Most visited Webpages Facebook and my blog also Twitter lately
Will you be celebrating Fathers day? yes, for my husband, my dad passed away.
When did you first realize you were an adult? maybe when I had my son. I was pretty carefree before that.
Friday, June 14, 2019
1) This song is a duet by the father/daughter team, Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus. Is your family musically inclined? no
2) This song is about life lessons. Who has been a major influence on your life? My dad! He passed away 2 years ago this month. I did get to spend that one last Father's Day with him though. I miss him so much.
3) Miley's given name is "Destiny." Her nickname as a baby was "Smiley," which is where Miley came from. What's something that can always be depended upon to make you smile? My son Josh
4) Miley's father, country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, has 5 children in addition to Miley (6 in all). Are you the oldest, the middle or the youngest sibling? Or are you an only child? I am an only child.
5) Sam's own father often traveled for business, and always remembered to bring her the little complimentary soaps, shampoos or body lotion he got from the hotel. Tell us about an inexpensive but treasured souvenir from a trip you've taken. I pick up key rings and beach towels on my adventures. I do have shells from the beach too.
6) Back when Sam was in high school, it was her father who gave her driving lessons. Are you patient when teaching someone something new? Yes
7) Sam's father is easy to buy for: every year he wants a new pair of loafers, so every year for Father's Day she gives him a DSW gift card. Is there anyone on your gift list that you find it easy to buy for? My husband...he loves sports, so he loves anything having to do with his favorite teams.
8) For family barbecues, Sam's dad dons his "Kiss the Chef" apron and mans the Weber. What's the last thing you cooked on the grill? Hamburgers and hotdogs.
9) Sam's father satisfies his afternoon sugar craving with an almost endless stream of Butter Rum Lifesavers. When you crave a snack, do you usually reach for something sweet or salty? sweet...usually chocolate.
Wednesday, June 12, 2019
1. Tell us about a time you made someone's life beautiful or someone made YOUR life beautiful. Since this sort of just happened, I will talk about how the parents at the preschool made me feel so loved at the end of the school year with all of their kind words, gifts, sweet tea and candy. Their children make my life beautiful also. Currently though my son is making my life beautiful by sharing the movies he loves and books too. I just love spending time with him.
2. Will you take on the challenge and smile more often on June 15th? Why not start now!! Have you been blessed by a smile that changed your day? I have. It always makes me feel so much happier to be greeted with a smile. I always smile and tell people good morning or hello. It is so easy to do and free too! Just do it!
3. Terri is a cancer survivor. Cancer has touched most of us in one way or another. When did someone reach out to you with an act of kindness or when did you last perform a random act of kindness for someone? When my dad passed away from complications from Alzheimer's there were so many people that reached out to me to share stories about my dad and how he had touched their lives. My dad was a high school teacher. It really did make that awful time better to know how much everyone loved him. This picture is of he and I when I graduated college.
4. Terri admits that this turned out to be not what she thought it would be. Our country has come a long way in recognizing that people are people and our differences are what makes life beautiful, but we still have a long way to go, unfortunately. Your thoughts? I agree. I think this country has come a long way. I also believe that things do not change over night and we have to be patient. I think things will continue to get better.
5. Had to lighten it up a bit. Terri is a total klutz in the kitchen. Tell us about something klutzy that happened in your kitchen... by you or another! Can you laugh about it now? This is so embarrassing! I was frying some chicken and my stove burner was having some trouble, well the next thing I know...the burner is on FIRE! I grab my chicken off and get the fire put out. The burner was ruined...my chicken was not though, I turned on another burner and moved my chicken to another pan...the pan was ruined too...and finished cooking it and it was delicious. I mean...who starts a FIRE in their kitchen? I DO!!! Yes, I do laugh about it now. I laughed about it that night!
6. Share something about your week so far, if you would. Those of you who have been following my blog know last summer my son was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. They have had a really hard time finding the right medicine for him. It either doesn't help or the side effects are too much. Well, he seems to have a good combination right now AND...he started volunteering at the library this week. He has never worked...his anxiety is too bad. I thought, well what if you volunteer for a couple of days a week...then if he wanted to stop, it would not be a big deal. Well, so far so good. He is loving his volunteering at the library. He chose this because he thinks it will be slow paced and not bother his anxiety too much. I just want him to realize he CAN get out there and meet people and be ok. I will keep you posted.
Tuesday, June 11, 2019
1. Coming home from a night out you notice your garage door opened. What Would You Do? I would most likely be with Karl and Josh, so I would just follow them. It would be possible that Karl left the garage door open. If they were not with me, they would be in the house.
2. Getting ready to shop at the supermarket you realize you left your keys in the car. What Would You Do? I would have to take care of the key situation first. If Karl was close he could come with my spare key, if not I would have to call a locksmith. I probably would not go grocery shopping after all that either.
3. Coming home from work tired you forgot you have guests coming for dinner and nothing to serve them. What Would You Do? I would never forget something like that, but I would stop at the grocery store and buy some food to make. Hopefully I would not lock myself out of the car.
4. Your daughter calls you at work and says she missed the school bus and you have no car. What Would You Do? We have a lot of family around where we live, so my mom or mother-in-law could help and they did when Josh was in school.
Friday, June 7, 2019
Saturday 9: I'm Moving On (1965)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Chyvonne Scott sings that she's sick of her lover's "conniving." Tell us about a time you felt deceived. (It doesn't have to involve romance.) I try to put things like that out of my mind. I cannot think of one. It has happened though.
2) She realizes it's time to move on to another love. What's your favorite love song? Is it about a relationship that's running smoothly? Or is it like "I'm Moving On," about an unhappy love affair? I am having trouble thinking of one right now, I always had favorites when I was in high school, but I cannot remember the names of them. I like happy songs.
3) Though Chyvonne Scott enjoyed only limited success as a recording artist, she was very popular in New York clubs. When did you most recently listen to music performed live? We do not get to do this very often. I can't even remember!
4) In 2017, this song appeared on a Samsung commercial that poked fun at rival iPhone. Is your cell phone an Apple or Android? How did you choose your phone? We have Samsung Galaxy phones (android) and my husband went and picked them out many years ago, I wasn't even with him. I didn't care, I just wanted a smartphone. Our son has always had an iphone. He insists on having apple technology. When we upgrade we keep our Samsung's and he keeps his iphone.
5) Chyvonne is an unusual name. In 1965, when this song was first released, the most popular baby names in the US were Michael and Lisa. Do you have any Michaels or Lisas in your life? I have a couple of Michael's, but no Lisa's. There were so many when I was younger, it isn't like those people are not around anymore....I just do not see them anymore. Even my name (Lori) is not a common name anymore...BUT...there are several Lori's where I work and I just love that. It makes me sad that my name is not popular anymore.
6) Also in 1965, Winston Churchill died. In researching this week's Sat. 9, Sam discovered a Churchill quote that's new to her: "I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." Share something interesting that you recently learned. My son is trying to help me find books. I am wanting to read some easy, but really good fiction books and he is trying to help. I like books that are harder to read, but right now, I just want an easy quick read. If you know of any...drop the title and author in the comments! I will write them down and look for them. I really need to read more and I want to read more. I just pick the wrong books. It needs to capture my attention right away. Josh also shows me really great older movies.
7) In 1965, one of the most successful movies ever made, The Sound of Music, was released. Have you ever seen it? Yes, I love it.
8) Lava lamps were already popular in England and Brussels, but in 1965 they were introduced in the US. Do you think lava lamps are cool? I love them, I think they are super relaxing to watch.
9) Random question -- You have to buy something very personal that you find embarrassing. Would you rather pay cash for it, so your identity would be unknown but you'd have to face the cashier? Or order it online, where you could avoid looking anyone in the eye, but you have to share your name and address? I do not buy anything that embarrassing, so I guess I would buy it in person. It really does depend on the convenience though, if I am going to have to drive a while for something I will order it online.