Saturday 9: Mama Said (1961) Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This week's song is about a girl who remembers wise advice she received from her mother. Tell us about someone who advised you years ago and to this day you think, "They were right!" My dad. He always had simple advice, but oh so true. I can still hear him telling me things even though he is gone now.
2) She sings about hearing chapel bells. Can you hear church bells ringing from your home? unfortunately, no.
3) This week's featured artists are the Shirelles, a group formed in New Jersey in 1957. They are credited for beginning the girl group genre. Name another popular girl group. The Bangles
4) In 1961, when this song was popular, Jacqueline Kennedy appeared on the cover of Ladies Home Journal three times. Is there a printed magazine in your home right now? If so, who is on the cover? no magazines
5) This song was chosen in celebration of Mother's Day. More phone calls are made on Mother's Day than any other day of the year. Who was your last phone call from? my husband Karl
6) Salons see a bump in appointments around Mother's Day every year. Partly because moms want to look good for their day, but also because hair, spa and nail services are a popular Mother's Day gift. When did you most recently go to a salon, and was it for your hair, complexion, or nails? I went in March. I have another appointment as soon as school gets out. It was and will be for hair.
7) Similarly, restaurants experience a spike in reservations on Mother's Day. Where did you last dine out? Was a reservation required? Karl and I had our anniversary this week...May 10th. We ate at Applebee's, no reservation.
8) The most popular Mother's Day gift is still the greeting card. Where do you card shop: drugstore, bookstore, card shop, etc.? drugstore
9) Sam is celebrating Mother's Day with her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds? I am not picky at all about chocolate.