Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This is from the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Have you seen it? I am not good at remembering movies, but I do not think I have seen it.
2) The lyrics tell us that, when love goes wrong, "a match won't light." When did you most recently light a match? I can't remember. I do not have matches anymore. We have those long BBQ lighters. I use them to light my candles.
3) The duet is performed at a French sidewalk cafe, where Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe are (literally) sharing a cup of coffee. With whom did you most recently have coffee? I do not drink coffee, so that has never happened. I have only met up with a friend once for drinks and that was hot cocoa at a bookstore probably 20 years ago. It is more common for me to get together with my friends for full on lunch.
4) The tune was written by prolific composer Hoagy Carmichael. He was influenced by his mother, who earned extra money for the family playing piano during silent movies. Who in your life influenced your career choices? My dad...he was a teacher and so I took that path also.
5) Jane and Marilyn shared something beyond movie stardom. They were both married to Hall of Famers. Marilyn Monroe was married to Joe DiMaggio, who was inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame in 1955. Jane was married to quarterback Bob Waterfield, inducted into the football Hall of Fame in 1965. Which sport would you rather watch: baseball or football? I love both, I mean Kansas City just won the Superbowl and that was awesome for me. I would love to be watching the St. Louis Cardinals right now, but so far no. Thanks Covid-19.
6) Jane and Bob Waterfield were high school sweethearts at Van Nuys High. The Southern California school was used as a set for the 1982 movie, Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Tell us something about your high school. We have a really beautiful football stadium. We were able to purchase a turf from a college team that was getting a new surface.
7) Marilyn and Joe DiMaggio met on a blind date at a Hollywood restaurant called Villa Nova. Have you ever arranged a blind date? If so, did the couple hit it off and end up dating? I have been on a blind date and we dated for a year before we broke up, but I have never set anyone else up.
8) In 1953, when Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was released, a tornado did severe damage to Waco, TX. Tell us about a major weather event that you endured (tornado, hurricane, flood, blizzard, heat wave, etc.). We have a lot of tornadoes here, but I am going to go with the ice storm we had probably ten years ago now, it was devastating. It killed trees and brought down power lines. The city north of us lost power for a week or so and it was winter of course. They had to go get showers at YMCA. It was awful. I imagine those with no wood heat had to get motels. We have also had tornados flatten complete cities in Missouri...Joplin was one that was recent and my nephew was living there at the time. They are all fine. They moved back here though. Tornadoes are worse, but I have been spared so far by them. Thank-GOD! The ice storm however is still causing limbs to fall from my trees.
9) Random question: You see a filthy puddle. Floating on top are cigarette butts, a leaf, and a $1 bill. Would you bend over and rescue the dollar? It depends. If this is somewhere by my house where I know no one is going to find it, I would grab it, but if I am in the city, I probably leave it for someone who needs it.