Tuesday, July 26, 2022
Welcome to another Tuesday 4 by Toni Taddeo.
Let's talk about light, okay? You light up my life.. shine a light in the darkness, Miller Light. All kinds of light but how about at home?
1. Are you afraid of the dark? Is night or day your favorite time? I am not really afraid of the dark. I am careful if I am outside in the dark though. I enjoy the light of the day, but also the quiet of the night. I love them both.
2. Do you have night lights in your home? I do. I get up several times in the night, so I need to be able to see. I do have them in other parts of the house though too so I can see if I need to leave my room at night.
3. How low do you set your air conditioning? Do you adjust it through the day? My A/C is set on 73. I willº change it sometimes. It has been in the 100's for a bit, so I have turned it down to 72º in the morning to cool off the house.
4. Do you keep any outdoor or indoor lights on all night? We have our porch light on outside all of the time.
Friday, July 22, 2022
1) In this song, Rihanna sings that when she looks at her lover, she sees the light in his eyes. The internet is filled with makeup tips for making your eyes look brighter. Drugstores sell eye drops that promise to get the red out. Are you bright-eyed this morning? Yes, my eyes are great unless I am wearing the wrong eyeliner. I do not wear make-up in the summer unless I am going to see the doctor or hairdresser.
2) She likens him to a shooting star. Astronomers tell us that shooting stars aren't that rare at all. They occur when dust, asteroids or comets enter the earth's atmosphere, and are often visible on clear, pollution-free nights. Have you ever seen a shooting star? I have. They are so pretty.
3) In ancient Rome, shooting stars were considered good luck, especially for those going into battle, while some tribes in East Africa believed shooting stars were a harbinger of doom. Are you superstitious? no, not really. Just when it comes to sports. I might wear a certain shirt. I do that more with football than baseball.
9) Random question: Did either or both your parents go to college? My dad went to college to be a teacher and my mom went to business school.
Tuesday, July 19, 2022
Friday, July 15, 2022
Saturday 9: Brandy (1972)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
7) In 1972, when this song was popular, residents of South Dakota endured a catastrophic flood when Rapid Creek overflowed. Give us a little geography lesson: what body of water is nearest you? I talk a lot about Table Rock Lake that is in my hometown, but at my house now the closest body of water is the James River.
9) Random summertime question: Would you prefer to swim in a pool, a lake/river, or the ocean? Pool. Even when we went to the ocean, I spent a day at the pool, but I could see the ocean. I like to go boating on the lake and I enjoyed floating on the James River, but they have snakes and you have to be careful. I pick pool.
Friday, July 8, 2022
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
6) This week's group, The Association, was founded in Hawaii. Hawaii produces more pineapple than other state in the union. When did you most recently have pineapple? I think it was when school was going on. They serve us pineapple when we have Chinese food.
9) Random question: Who is the most recent person you made smile, and what did you do? It was probably Karl or Josh. I was probably telling some kind of story about going to the doctor the other day.
Tuesday, July 5, 2022
Happy Fourth of July and welcome once again to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4!
Let's talk about Independence Day.
1. In previous times every family read the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights on July 4 to keep in mind the huge price paid by a minority of patriots for freedom and liberty. What do you think about this tradition? I hope you will institute it and value it. It is so important. I think it is great. In fact, I think Linda had told me about this or she does it. Anyway, I had heard about it and did this one year. I think it is a great reminder of what these documents actually say. I think we should all be doing this.
2. Fresh made lemonade was a huge deal in the Midwest when Laura Ingalls Wilder was a young girl. It was a very special treat. Every family brought a dish to the town celebration. What foods and drinks will you have on this important day? We may grill out hotdogs and hamburgers, but Josh is working and Karl and I will need to stay home and be here with Meisha because she is scared of the fireworks.
3. Will you be watching fireworks.. a great American tradition on this day? They are deeply rooted in the American tradition. We will stay home and make sure Meisha is comfortable. She gets so scared. She will crawl into Karl's lap and her body shakes. She is a lab. We may watch fireworks on tv. Here she is resting on the couch.
4. Will your flag be out? Do you own one? Yes!
Quick 4th fact: Did you know that the term Commander in Chief cannot be used except in times of Congressionally declared war? A president has no authority over the military until then.
Friday, July 1, 2022
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
1) This song lists seven cities -- New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge and St. Louis -- that Linda just loves. How many have you visited? I have visited Chattanooga and St. Louis of those listed. We visited the Chattanooga Choo Choo in Chattanooga.
2) The lyrics refer to hamburgers sizzling on the grill. What toppings do you believe make a perfect burger? I like cheese, ketchup and mayonnaise on my burger. I also like cheese and chili, but I do not have that very often.
3) The original recording of this song by Chuck Berry has always been one of Linda Ronstadt's favorites, one she used to enjoy singing along with in the car. What's the most recent song you sang? Josh and I had to go to Springfield yesterday and Suspicious Minds by Elvis was on the radio. I sang along with that song.
4) Linda performed The National Anthem at Game 3 of the 1977 World Series. The New York Yankees won both that game and the series. How is your baseball team doing this season? The St. Louis Cardinals are in 2nd...1.5 games behind the Milwaukee Brewers as I am posting this. Yadi, Waino and Pujols. I am going to miss them when they retire. :(
Since this is our last Saturday 9 before Independence Day, let's ask some questions related to the holiday.
7) In high school, Sam was crazy about American history and got good grades. Science was her worst subject. In high school, where did you shine? In what subject were your grades not so hot? I was good at sciences, english, foreign languages and music classes. I was awful at math and history oh and P.E. I hated P.E.
8) The first 4th of July parade each year is held at 12:01 AM in Gatlinberg, TN. Will you attend a parade or fireworks to celebrate the 4th? I doubt it, just because as soon as the fireworks start going off here...our dog Meisha will be scared. I like to stay home with her when the fireworks are going off. Karl's sister always has a cookout and fireworks that we are invited to. Maybe Karl and Josh can go when Josh gets off work. I doubt that as Josh hates fireworks. Karl and I may go furniture shopping sometime this weekend, but that is about it. We will be flying our flag high and maybe watching fireworks on tv and possibly eating some hot dogs and hamburgers.
9) Americans love to celebrate our independence. In fact, there are more than 30 towns all across the US called Independence. There are two in MN alone (one outside Duluth, the other west of Minneapolis). Please google it and let us know: does your state have an Independence? I am not sure what this means. I am so embarrassed. Our state has an Independence, MO. It is close to Kansas City, MO.