1. First things first, did you have a good year? I think overall it was fine. We had a lot of loss, I lost an Aunt and an Uncle as well as my heart dog, but Josh is doing a little better with his depression and we are pretty healthy.
2. If you traveled, where did you go? We took a couple of day trips to Arkansas just to get away and have some fun.
3. Which fashion trends did you love? I will say the jumpsuits. I even got one for my nephew's wedding. So cute and comfortable.
4. Which fashion trends did you hate? Many of the bad trends do not make it to Missouri.
5. What was your favorite article of clothing this year? I am always in jeans and a t-shirt or sweats.
6. What song sums up this year for you? Hold on Tight- ELO
7. What was your favorite movie of the year? We never go see movies and looking over the movies of 2019, the only one I saw was Captain Marvel. We are so far behind. We just rent them.
8. Did an actor/actress catch your attention for the first time this year? no, I do not pay enough attention. Movies do not really stick with me like books.
9. Favorite new TV show? The Neighborhood
10. Did you make any big permanent changes this year? I started doing all over color on my hair. I am getting so gray! I was just doing highlights until Thanksgiving.
11. What was one nice thing you did for yourself? Giving myself time to relax and read!
12. Did you develop a new obsession? Reading!
13. Did you vote? yes
14. Did you move? no
15. Did you get a job? not a new job, I have a job.
16. Did you get a pet? I still have two dogs, no new pets.
17. Do you regret not doing anything? no, not really
18. Do you regret doing something? no
19. Have you done anything that scared you? probably, but nothing is coming to mind. The stuff with Josh can be scary sometimes.
20. Did anyone/thing make you so mad it stayed with you for days? yes, but not this year, it was many years ago.
21. Did you lose anyone close to you? I lost my Aunt Mildred and my Uncle Alan this year as well as my dog Mandy. Then online we all lost Toni and Marge.
22. Who was important to you this year but wasn’t important last year? My group of friends has not changed and I cannot think of anyone that has entered my life and filled an important role unless you count online friends...I did meet Linda this year (Blogging).
23. Who wasn’t as important to you this year as they were last year? My friends are all important to me.
24. If you could have a do over on one thing you did, would you take it? Not anything from 2019, but I would have taken Josh to the doctor earlier for his depression.
25. What was the best moment of the year for you? Maybe when Josh started volunteering at the library.
26. What was the worst? When Mandy died.
27. What are you most proud of accomplishing? Doing everything that I have been given to do...it seems like too much sometimes, but I can do it.
28. What have you learned about yourself this year that you didn’t know in the years prior? I am strong and I can handle a lot.
29. What do you wish for others for the coming year? Happiness, peace, love and good health.
30. What do you wish for yourself? same
Our last Saturday 9 of 2019. Thank you for another great year, everyone!
1) Look back on 2019 and share a happy moment. My nephew Dalton got married. I love his new wife (Aubri), so that is definitely a happy moment.
2) As 2019 ends, are you making any New Year's resolutions for 2020? keep reading books
3) Tell us about an obstacle or challenge you faced in 2019. Mandy passing away was pretty hard on all of us and is still bothering Josh. Christmas was hard for him.
4) Is it "cold as ice" outside where you are today? Goodness no, we have been having close to 70 degree weather.
5) Foreigner is this week's featured artist. The band formed in New York City. If you were to travel to New York City, what would you be sure to see? Statue of Liberty, One World Trade Center, Central Park. 6) The band went by the name Trigger. They changed it because their prospective record label was already auditioning a different group named Trigger. They settled on Foreigner because half the members were foreign -- from England. If you received a free, round-trip airline ticket to any foreign country, where would you go? I would love to go so many places...maybe Italy, France or London.
7) In 1977, when this song was popular, Star Wars was breaking all box office records. The Spy Who Loved Me, a James Bond movie, was also a 1977 hit. Which film series do you prefer: Star Wars or James Bond? Do not throw things at me, but I do not like either of these. I have seen more Star Wars movies though. My husband loves them both.
8) In 1977, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak incorporated Apple. Are you answering these 9 questions on an Apple product (PC, laptop, pad or phone)? no. Josh has the Apple technology, but Karl and I just have regular stuff. I did get a new laptop (touchscreen) for Christmas. It is a Dell. My phone is a Galaxy.
9) Random question: What was the last thing you thought of as you dozed off last night? I was probably thinking about my book. I finished Necessary Lies and have moved on to The Woman in the Window. It is so good!
I am so excited to be on Christmas Break, because that means I can read books again! I am currently reading Necessary Lies. It is historical fiction. It is set in North Carolina in 1960 and it is about how Eugenics or sterilization affected so many people there and the story is about a family is happened to. It is such a good book and I have heard the other book I have checked out is very good as well. I made some blueberry muffins this morning, just because we are all home and I am thinking I will make the dogs some homemade dog treats. I have not done that in a while. I got a new laptop and it is touch screen! I love it. I thought my other computer was doing fine, but my word, it is so slow compared to this one. I am enjoying that. Here is a picture of my books. Let me know if you have read them!
1. As you can see, Sam loved giving her annual wish list to Santa. Yet
some children are reluctant to climb into Jolly Old St. Nick's lap. Did
you enjoy the tradition or were you shy? Or did you by pass it
altogether -- either because you wrote him a letter or because your
family didn't celebrate Christmas? I enjoyed Santa, but I was also shy, I do not remember getting to see Santa very often, but it may be because we lived so far away from where a Santa was. I do remember writing letters when I was old enough. 2. Are you currently on the Naughty or Nice list? How did you get there? Nice! I am always on the nice list because I am a good girl.
3. Did you ship any gifts to friends and family this year? If so, which one traveled the farthest? I did not ship anything. Everything will be given in person. 4. Did you buy yourself a gift this year? yes, of course!My husband and I do not really exchange gifts because we spend most of our money on Josh and my mom....so we each get something for ourselves. 5. What's your favorite holiday-themed movie? Have you seen it yet this year? It's A Wonderful Life...and yes, I watched it last weekend. 6. Thinking of movies, Christmas is lucrative for Hollywood. Have you ever gone to a movie theater on Christmas Day? I went once with my cousin when I was younger and then Karl, Josh and I tried to go several years ago, but it was too busy. There were people everywhere. 7. Have you ever suffered an embarrassing moment at the company Christmas party? no 8. What's your favorite beverage in cold weather? hot chocolate 9. Share a memory from last Christmas. Last Christmas we went to Nutcracker. We took my mom with us. This year in January we are taking her to see Les Miserables. She has never seen a musical, so I hope she likes it.
1) The lyrics mention "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." Do you often eat chestnuts? Never, I have never even seen them before. Is this a real thing?
2) There's a reference to Jack Frost, too. Does cold weather help you get into the holiday spirit? Yes, it does for sure. When it is warm, it just does not seem like Christmas for me.
Nat sings that turkey helps to make the season bright. We just had it
last month for Thanksgiving. Do you enjoy turkey all year around? Or do
you consider it primarily a holiday dish? Primarily a holiday dish, but we will have it again about one or two times (full turkey dinner) in the year.
This song was published as "The Christmas Song," but people often refer
to it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" or "Merry Christmas to
You." When you think of this song, which title comes to mind? Merry Christmas to
Nat King Cole had a big hit in the 1950s with "Mona Lisa." The ballad
compares an enigmatic woman to the da Vinci painting, which hangs in the
Louvre. The Mona Lisa has been called the most instantly identifiable
painting in the world. Can you think of another famous painting that you
recognize on sight? (Extra points if you include a picture!) Water Lilies by Claude Monet used to be a favorite of mine.
6) Best remembered today as a singer, Cole was also an accomplished composer and jazz pianist. Do you like jazz? just a little, it is not my favorite.
Christmas card Sam has received so far this year is from her dentist.
She never sees Dr. Douglas socially. In fact, she hasn't seen him since
her annual check-up last March. Have you received many cards this year? I have only received one so far also from a former student.
8) When did/will you start holiday shopping this year: Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving/Black Friday, Halloween? Earlier than that? I buy Bath and Body stuff for my co-workers, so I buy it a little along all year when it is on sale. The rest of the family we bought during Thanksgiving/Black Friday. I just have a couple more gifts to buy.
9) This time
of year is big for charitable fundraising. Here's your chance to plug a cause
or organization that's near and dear to you. We usually donate to Victory Mission, they serve the homeless food and help them with shelter, etc. We also donate to Convoy of Hope which helps during disasters such as hurricanes and tornadoes, etc. Then we also donate to St. Jude.
1) This song is about doing what it takes to win. What's the most recent competition you won? (Yes, online solitaire counts.) I do not remember. I won $1000 on the radio one time though for recognizing a song and being a certain number caller.
The lyrics tell us to "go ahead and put your bets on me." Do you often
play games of chance -- like the office football pool, or slot machines,
or the lottery? nope
The video includes footage of young people competing in The Special
Olympics. What's your favorite sport to watch? Is it the same sport you
most enjoying playing? I do not really play sports, but I love to watch baseball and football.
4) This week's featured artist, Carrie Underwood, first came to America's attention when she won on American Idol. Prior to competing on that show, she'd never been on an airplane. How old were you when you took your first flight? I have never been on an airplane. I am not afraid to, we do not travel much and when we do we usually drive. 5) Carrie loves horror and her favorite author is Stephen King. What book are you currently reading? I am not reading anything right now.
Carrie's duet partner on "The Champion" is rapper Ludacris. In addition
to making music, he acts and has appeared in one Sam's favorite shows, Law & Order: SVU. What's your favorite "cop show?" 24..hee, hee. I do not really watch a cop show right now. I used to watch The Rookie, but we do not watch anymore.. How about Magnum P.I.? Does he count? I watch that.
7) Ludacris is a distant cousin of comedian Richard Pryor. Have you studied your family's genealogy? some
Soccer was a big deal in 2018, the year this song was released.
According to Google, "FIFA World Cup" was the news story that generated
the most internet searches. What's the last thing you "googled?" I have been hunting for mittens, I have been googling a lot of stores lately looking for mittens. We are doing a mitten exchange at work.
Random question: You're battling the flu. The doctor advises you to
stay in bed a full five days. As you begin feeling better (around Day
3), do you continue to follow doctor's orders? Or do you get up and
start moving before you're supposed to? I am probably up for a while, but I still probably try to go back to bed. I try to do what I am told.
1. What do you think of discounts and sales?: I love them, but I really watch products because sometimes they are not really marked down much if at all. It also amazes me how much products are marked up.
2. What's the biggest bargain you've found?: Nothing is really coming to mind, but probably something that was on clearance.
3. What do you think of shopping days like Black Friday?: Some of those deals are good, you have to watch them. I went out in person once and I will never go again. The people act crazy!
4. What are the good and bad things about shopping malls and shopping online?: I shop mostly online because it is less stress for me and quicker. You of course take the chance of someone taking your purchases that come in the mail. I haven't yet, but I know it is a big problem. I like the actual stores for clothes and shoes. I like to try things on. I can get my make-up (Ulta) and bath and body online.
1. Right now I'm filling out my Sunday Stealing_. 2. Fidgeting is my well known quirk. 3. Are you happy? 4. Wash hands first, then eat! 5. That's why people get sick. 6. 24is one of my favorite tv shows ever! 7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to _Kansas City Chiefs Game, tomorrow my plans include going back to work. 8. If I could go anywhere on a road trip, I'd go to Orange Beach, Alabama. 9. Cruelty is something I don't understand. 10. Thanksgiving makes me think of family 11. Reading is the best way to relax! 12. It looks like Autumn in Missouri. 13. Fruit is one of my favorite healthy snacks. 14. The smell of home cooking makes me think of my Granny. 15. When I am feeling lazy I watch tv or read. 16. When I look to the left, I see my Christmas tree. 17. The Living room and kitchen are the room(s) that have the best view in my home. 18. Nothing was done dirt cheap! 19. Voting is a responsibility that all qualified citizens must share. 20. If you have any comments feel free to share it with me.
From our archives. 1)
Black is this week's signature color because Friday was
"Black Friday," the day when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to
the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains? I am writing this on Thursday evening, so far I have only bought some things from Ulta....mascara and hair gel...they were 50% off though. 2)
Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes.
Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game? both 3)
At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam's homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because
she's so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty
taste.) What was particularly delicious at your Thanksgiving table? all of it, but the hot rolls are always wonderful. 4)
Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's,
Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of
those stores, which would you choose? Maybe Macy's? I need a new coat...any ideas where to look? I need a big heavy winter coat, not a jacket. 5) This week's song, "Baby's in Black," is about a girl who wears black because she's in mourning. Do you find that the color you're wearing reflects your mood? not really. It is how I feel about myself in the outfit. 6) The woman who inspired this song, Astrid Kirchherr, has been friends with Paul McCartney since he and hisbandmates (John Lennon, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best) met her in Hamburg back in 1960. Tell us what you believe are the components of a strong, lasting friendship. honest, trustworthy, kind and maybe similar beliefs. 7) In the early days of the Beatles, Paul McCartney and John Lennon began writing a play but abandoned it. Do you have a novel, painting, play, song or poem that you're going to finish "someday?" no, I am a person who has to finish. I used to write poetry and short stories, but not anymore. My son Josh has several things in the works...he likes to write. 8) When he was 16, George Harrison dreamed of moving to Canada, Australia or Malta. In just a few years, he would visit all those places with Beatles and eventually decided
there was no place like home and stayed in England (though he did also
maintain a home in Hawaii). Have you ever thought about moving to
another country? If so, where? My husband does commercial construction and there are chances for him to be able to travel to work. Many years ago there was a chance to go to Italy, but the location after Italy was Siberia. I was very interested in Italy, but not the cold of Siberia. He was not interested at all. I think I would miss home too much anyway. 9) Random question: Finish this sentence -- If you want me to give you "yes" for an answer, the best time to approach me is...maybe early in the day before I am tired and I "think" I would have the energy to do something.
1. What is your favorite Thanksgiving show/animated show?: Charlie Brown Thanksgiving....I love everything Charlie Brown. We do A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving at the preschool...so we watch the show and we eat the things that Snoopy makes...jelly beans, pretzels, pop corn and instead of toast we ask for melba toast or wheat thins. It is fun. The kids love it!
2. What is there about Thanksgiving you like the best: I love how it is so busy. You get to be with family, the Macy's Thanksgiving parade is on, the dog show, football, planning for Black Friday. It is a fun day.
3. Favorite Thanksgiving/holiday song?: Sticking with Thanksgiving I will say Turkey in the Straw!
4. If you have an all holiday music radio station when do you start listening to it?: I don't really just listen to Christmas music all of the time, but if I did I would wait until after Thanksgiving. I normally just turn it over to Christmas music now and then throughout the holiday.
This lyrics use weather as metaphor for romance. Here at Saturday 9,
we're more literal. How do the skies look where you are this morning? The skies are cloudy and it is raining.
According to Merriam-Webster, "enough is enough" is what you say when
you want something to stop because you "can no longer accept or deal
with it." When did you recently say -- out loud or to yourself --
"enough is enough." It was probably to one of the kids at school when they were talking really loud. 3)
Grammy winner Luther Vandross began his career as a background singer
and performed on "No More Tears." Tell us about one of your early jobs. One of my favorite jobs was being a cashier at a grocery store. I did that in college and I was always such good friends with everyone I worked with and over the years I worked at a couple of different stores...one back home and one where my college was. We always had so much fun. I am still friends with many of them on facebook.
Both Donna Summer and Barbra Streisand made slight changes to their
first names. Summer was christened "LaDonna," while Streisand's parents
spelled her name the more conventional "Barbara." When she was in high
school, meme mistress Samantha Winters went from "Sammy" to "Sam." Did
you ever make a similar change to your first name? no
Hair was higher maintenance in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
Streisand and Summer are both sporting styles that would require
chemical treatment, like a perm or relaxer. Today's looks are less
rigidly styled and tend to be smoother or slightly messy. How often do
you change your look? not very often
In 1979, it seems every kid was asking Santa for Star Wars toys. Some
things don't change, since the Star Wars franchise remains popular with
children and toymakers after more than 40 years. What book or toy did
you love as a child that remains popular today? Barbie 7) Thinking of things that endure ... In 1979, the #1 show in the ratings was 60 Minutes.
It's still on, every Sunday night, and in the summer of 2019 it came in
at #4 in the Nielsen ratings. What's the most recent show you watched?
Was it news, sports or entertainment? entertainment
In 1979, the price for a dozen eggs averaged 85¢. Today, it's about
twice that. Are you more likely to use eggs to prepare a main course
(like an omelette or Eggs Benedict) or as part of a recipe (anything
from a cake to a meatloaf)? We use eggs for both.
1. Favorite Holiday Of Yours?: Christmas is hands down my favorite. It is like magic for me and I am that person that in July is celebrating Christmas in July and watching Christmas Hallmark movies. Such a great time of the year. You can imagine how I feel when it is over. :(
2. Favorite Holiday Character In A Movie?: George Bailey: It's A Wonderful Life
3. Favorite Holiday Dish Or Dessert To Make?: I like to make the deviled eggs and hot rolls.
4. Favorite Holiday Weather You Wish For?: Ok, so as much as I love snow....I never wish for it on Christmas or Thanksgiving because I know people are trying to get to their loved ones including me. I remember one year it snowed so much we were stuck at home and it was the worst Christmas ever. I guess I remember doing more with family when it was nice out.
1) What is your favorite TV show (currently)? New Amsterdam (drama) and The Neighborhood (comedy)
2) Would you like to be a child again? no
3) Has anyone ever told you that school times were the best period of his/her life? Would you say that to someone? Why? I have heard many people say that and my college years were so much fun, but I cannot say they were the best times of my life because I have experienced marriage and my son since then and teaching.
4) How's the weather? It is in the 60's here in Missouri
5) Do you like camping? not really
6) Do you believe in paranormal phenomena? no
7) If you would create a holiday, what would it be called and how would we celebrate it? When would this holiday be? I am not sure
8) What word(s) do you dislike? Can you tell why? expletives, I just do not want to hear them.
9) What color do you dislike? What do you associate with it? I do not dislike any colors.
10) Do you believe in otherworldly creatures, eg. ghosts, etc? no
Pick two of your favourite fictional characters. Where are they from
(what movie, book, etc?) and why are they your favourite? Sookie from the Fannie Flagg books. I just really relate to her. She is a mess and so energetic. That is the only one I can think of right now, I am in a hurry.
you could change anything or add anything to your body would you? (this
can be interpreted however, but, think, would you like to have fins or
extra hands?) I just would like to be thin again.
13) What are some family traditions you have/had growing up? Do you still continue them, if yes, why, if no, why not? We always opened Christmas gifts on Christmas Eve night and Santa gifts on Christmas morning. I think it had more to do with schedules, but I continued that with my son when he was little. We open Christmas gifts on Christmas Day now with my mom.
14) What do you think of tattoos? Do you have any? I do not like them for myself, but they can be nice.
15) What is the most disgusting habit some people have? smoking or excessive cussing, drinking or really any bad lifestyle.
16) If you could bring back one TV show that was cancelled, which would it be? 24 with Keifer Sutherland
17) What was the most unsettling film you have ever seen? not sure
18) What book has impacted you the most? I really related to The All Girl's Filling Station by Fannie Flagg. Loved that book.
19) You're on Death Row and get one final meal: What is that meal and why do you choose it? fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and coconut cream pie.
20) What is the first profession you remember wanting to become as a child? Medical Technologist...I wanted to do research and find cures. It was my major for a year. I am good at science, but not math.