Pages

Friday, February 7, 2020

Saturday 9- Two Divided by Love

http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com/

 



Two Divided by Love (1971) Unfamiliar with this week's song? You can hear it here.

1) Sam's teacher told her she'd use math every day. What's the last math problem you solved? (Did you add to/subtract from the balance of your checkbook ... use division to figure out how much you'd save with 25% off that sweater ...)  Today I was figuring some percentages.

2) The lyrics tell us that if you take away the rain from a flower, the flower just won't grow. Do you have any indoor houseplants? Could they use a drink of water this morning?  I do not have any indoor plants at this time.

3) This week's artists, The Grass Roots, are introduced in this video by country music superstar Kenny Rogers. Who is your favorite country music singer? Garth Brooks


4) The two unmarried members of the group -- guitarist Warren Entner and drummer Ricky Coonce -- competed for a lady's affection on a 1968 episode of The Dating Game. Neither of them won! She chose Bachelor #1. Anyway, have you ever appeared on a game show? Do you know anyone who has?  I have not appeared on a gameshow, but one of my co-workers was on The Price is Right.  She got to play and I think she won a car possibly.  I can't remember.  It had to be a long time ago.

5) The Grass Roots were originally called The 13th Floor. They chose this cheeky name because many high rises do not have a 13th floor since 13 is considered an unlucky number, and they were thumbing their noses at superstition. Are you superstitious?  I am when it comes to sports, but not really anything else.
 
6) At the time of his death in 2011, group leader Rob Grill was still playing music, touring with a reconfigured Grass Roots. His widow Nancy referred to him as "one lucky son of a gun" because he'd been able to support himself as a musician, doing what he loved for 45 years. In what ways do you consider yourself fortunate?  I get to do what I love to do also...teach kids.


7) In 1971, the year this song was released, Walt Disney World opened in Florida. The Epcot Center was added in 1982. Have you ever visited this, or any, Disney theme park?  I have visited Disney World two times which included all of their parks in Florida.  That was quite a workout.


8) Fresh chicken was just 43¢/lb. in 1971. Do you prefer the breast or drumstick?  I am a child, I like the drumstick because it is easy.

9) Random question: Do you work well under pressure?  I think I work better under pressure.  It seems to make you focus better.


13 comments:

  1. It's go to be wonderful to love the job you have. I'm glad you like it so much. I am not sure what pressure does for me.. I answered the question but, I wasn't really sure. Havent worked that way for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be like me. I can have a tendency to dilly-dally about getting things done, but when the pressure is on I can focus and get it done in record time and it's done pretty darn well, too.
    Enjoy your Saturday, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a sub for a year around the turn of the century. I went to the same school (Since they really liked me - who'da thunk?) instead of the phone stuff. They'd tell me which class. I'd read the teacher's plan and follow it if it were fair. Some teachers just dump what they hate at a sub. I learned to ignore the jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been told; Do what you love and it won't be a job. (something like that)---anyways--have a great Saturday, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on Garth. And on deadlines. A due date does indeed sharpen my focus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also am a Garth fan. I loved country in the 90s when it was having its renaissance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel so terrible because I can never remember how to figure percentages. When I wrote for the newspaper this would always be a problem, and I'd have to call my editor and ask him to figure it out for me. I used to have a formula written down somewhere for it, but since I no longer write for the paper I don't worry about it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of Jeopardy, I watch it just about every night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a teacher, you do understand pressure... I ran on adrenalin a long time.. It took its toll!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun questions and I enjoyed your answers! Garth Brooks is a good one, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw Garth Brooks on Tricia Yearwood's food net work show this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to watch The Price is Right every morning until Bob Barker left. It never seemed to be the same after that. I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.