Pages

Friday, August 9, 2024

Saturday 9: Annie's Song

 




Saturday 9: Annie's Song (1974)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) 50 years ago this month, we were all listening to John Denver rhapsodize about nature. He singles out walking in the rain as a particularly lovely experience. Do you enjoy walking in the rain?  Not really.  When we have had droughts in the past, I have been known to stand in the rain, but just a normal walk in the rain, no.

2) Denver wrote this song on a ski lift in Aspen. He clearly relished the ride, but ski lifts are problematic for those who suffer from acrophobia, or a fear of heights. Acrophobia plagues approximately 5% of Americans. Are you one of them?  Yes, I have a hard time with heights.

3) John Denver recalled that this song just came to him as he looked down on the beauty of nature. Can you recall a time when something you saw in nature touched your heart?  When we drove by the mountains on our way to Florida, I cried at the beauty of them.  I want to go stay in the mountains in a cabin and just stare at them.

4) Wildly successful here in The States, John Denver's popularity didn't extend to the United Kingdom. In fact, "Annie's Song" was his only major hit. But it was a big one. Denver's version reached #1 in 1974 and then in 1978 James Galway hit #1 on the UK charts with an instrumental version. Do you have a favorite instrumental recording?  The Entertainer by Scott Joplin.   It is played a lot at the theme park here, so I heard it as a kid and I have always loved it.



5) John Denver's first-ever guitar, a gift from his grandmother, was displayed at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. Have you visited a museum yet this summer? If not, do you have plans to?  I haven't.  Karl and Josh visited The National WWI Museum in Kansas City while I was in St. Louis for my teacher conference.  They loved it.

6) In addition to the guitar, Denver also played the violin (or "the fiddle," as he called it). If a genie appeared to magically enable you to play the instrument of your choice, which would you choose?  Piano

Let's look at the summer of 1974.

7) Elizabeth Berkeley was born. She's best known as Jesse on the Saturday morning teen sitcom, Saved by the Bell. What Saturday morning TV shows do you remember fondly?  Smurfs, Looney Tunes

8) Hall of Fame pitcher and Cardinal great Dizzy Dean died. How is your baseball team doing this summer?  The St. Louis Cardinals are 59-57...I sadly haven't watched much this summer.

9) The biggest summer movie was The Longest Yard starring Burt Reynolds. What's your favorite Burt Reynolds movie?  I love Burt Reynolds, I will say Smokey and the Bandit.

This week we start back with teacher meetings and Open House is Thursday.  The following week the kids start!  Here we go.  That was a fast summer.




6 comments:

  1. It's crazy to say this, but the Cards have just as much chance of making the playoffs as my Cubs right now. So don't give up!
    Smokey and the Bandit is the right answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the WWI memorial in KC when I was there in June. Good luck with your workshop days and open house. My workshop days are Monday-Wednesday with Freshman Orientation on Monday evening. We start with students Thursday. Summer really flew by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said Smokey & the Bandit as well. I really couldn't think of another movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our kids start back on Monday. It has been a short summer! I've always enjoyed Scott Joplin's music too! It's always good to visit with you here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NJ starts back after Labor Day in September. Smurf! I forgot them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.