Pages

Friday, August 2, 2024

Saturday 9: Ghostbusters

 




Saturday 9: Ghostbusters (1984)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

This month we're going to recall Summer Songs. These will all be records that topped the charts during August.

1) Number 1 on the charts in August 40 years ago, "Ghostbusters" was written quickly. The Ghostbusters producers originally approached Lindsay Buckingham to write the movie theme. Buckingham took a long time to say no the film's production date could not be changed. That left Ray Parker Jr. only a few days to come up with a song. Do you work well with a tight deadline?  I do.  A deadline actually gets me to get busy and work.  If I am able to procrastinate, I will.

2) Parker recalls he got his inspiration from a late night TV commercial that kept encouraging viewers to call, call, call. What's the most recent business that you phoned, and why were you calling?  My mom had a small car accident last week and I called the mechanic about getting her car fixed.  She is fine.

3) The music video (linked above) was directed by Ivan Reitman, who also directed the movie. It features a variety of celebs saying "Ghostbusters!" None of them were paid for this, they all did it as a favor to Reitman. Have you more recently done or received a favor?  Received!  Josh and I just came back from my classroom.  He helped me get the furniture in place and unpack my boxes.  It only took us an hour or so, but if I would have been by myself, it would have taken a lot longer.

4) In 2009, Ray Parker Jr. made the Ghostbusters theme available as a ring tone. What's your phone's ring tone?  It was one on the phone...Erik Satie Gymnopedie.  I used to have ring tones and text tones assigned to the people that contact me regularly so I would know who was calling or texting, but after a couple of phones, I got tired of putting those tones back on, so I just used what is on the phone now.

5) This song is so enduringly popular that a 2020 documentary about Parker is titled, "Who You Gonna Call?" If you were to write a memoir or authorize a documentary about your life, what would you call it?  I don't think about things like this.  I have no idea.  I read this question to Josh and he told me he already wrote his memoir.

6) Early in his career, Ray was in demand as a session musician. He played guitar on the records of some of the 70s most successful female singers, including Tina Turner, Chaka Khan, Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight and Diana Ross. Of those ladies, which is your favorite?  I love all of them, but I will say Tina Turner.

Let's look at the summer of 1984.

7) Released in June, the original Ghostbusters was a huge hit throughout the summer. Have you seen it? Did you see the sequel that was released this past spring?  I saw Ghostbusters when it came out, I was 14 years old, so kind of perfect for that age.  I never really thought the sequel would be as good as the original, so I didn't see it, but if I ever see it available to watch on streaming, I probably would.

8) Beverly Burns became the first female captain of a Boeing 747. She was a pilot for People Express Airways, an airline which later merged with Continental, and Continental then merged with United. Do you recall which airline you flew when you took your first flight?  I have never flown, we have always been able to drive where we are going.

9) Ronald Reagan joked about bombing Russia during a mic check for a radio interview. He was embarrassed when the comment was leaked and broadcast around the world. Have you recently felt embarrassed?  When we were in my classroom, several co-workers came in to say hi and I had on no make-up at all.  I know they don't care, but I always have on make up at school.

Tomorrow-August 4th is Josh's birthday!  He is turning 26.  Happy birthday, Josh! ♥




8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Josh! Good that he could help you set up your room. Do you start back on the 5th? My DIL and grands go back on the 5th. My older grands go back the 13th. Enjoy your last few days off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids start back on the 20th, but we have a lot of meetings before that. Working on your classroom is often on your own time.

      Delete
  2. For some reason, I stumble on the sequel to Ghostbusters on the AMC all the time. Happy Birthday to Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Josh.

    I’m with you on the cell phone ring tones, I used to have a different tone for each close contact. Now I just use whatever came with 5he phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to Josh! I used to have ringtones and notification tones for different people. Yep... get old after several new phones! LOL Happy weekend, Lori! I always enjoy my visits here with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never known how to assign ringtones. Nobody calls me anyhow, they text or message. My sisters and I Facetime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Josh! Hope the new school year goes great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Josh. So glad to hear your Mother is okay!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.