Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Wednesday Medley- May Day

http://tdorsaneo.blogspot.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May Day

MAY DAY


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.  Ahhh... May Day!!  Happy May!  Did you celebrate this when you were a child by dancing around a Maypole or leaving flowers on someone's porch? Will you be celebrating a special occasion in May?  I do not recall celebrating May Day.  I read about it as an adult and wanted to take baskets to my neighbors, but I was worried they would think I was crazy for doing that.  We celebrate our wedding Anniversary on May 10...my nephew is also graduating high school that day this year.  Of course there is Mother's Day.  I am thinking of getting my mom some flowers to plant in her yard.  I always love gifts like that.
(There are so many other things being celebrated today that I
think we need to give them some attention, too!)

2.  National Mother Goose Day was founded in 1987.  Can you name a nursery rhyme that would fit your life as it was in 1987?  If you are a youngster and not yet born in 1987, you may pass, of course, but do you have a favorite nursery rhyme?  HERE is a list of nursery rhymes.  In 1987 I was in high school.  I am not sure what nursery rhyme would fit that.  I love nursery rhymes.  My dad sang me hush a bye baby when I was little.  I like to do ring around the rosie with the kids.  Such dark messages we teach the kids when doing nursery rhymes.

3.  National Chocolate Parfait Day is also honored on this day. Parfait means perfect in French. Tell us about a perfect day, in your mind, and would/could it end with a chocolate parfait?  A perfect day for me would be a day I am off work and it is sunny, but still a little bit cool...upper 60's or low 70's.  I would spend the day having fun with Josh and my mom and at the end of our day we would have chocolate parfait.

4.  National School Principal's Day was founded to celebrate these school administrators who support and guide quality teachers and staff to provide productive learning environments for our children.  Did you have a good Principal when you were in school? Do you remember his/her name?  I had a great Principal, his name is John Brown.  He and his family were my neighbors when I was little.  I am friends with all of them on facebook. :)  The Principal I work for is amazing too...her name is Mrs. Murray and I love her.  She is so great with the kids.

5. And perhaps the most important one is Silver Star Service Banner Day which honors the sacrifices of the combat wounded, ill, and dying service members from all branches of the military.  Do you have family members who have served this country in uniform? Tell us about them, if you will.  My Papa was a WWII Veteran, he passed away when Josh was 5 years old so about 15 years ago.  He was stationed in Germany and that is all he would ever say.  My Uncle Gary was killed in Vietnam.  I never met him.  He was my dad's brother.

6.  It's Hump Day! How is your week going so far?  We are having some rocky weather as I type this.  I stayed after school today to do some work and the county went tornado warned....so I had to stay for about an hour there in the tornado shelter.  I was glad to get home.  The crazy weather is still going on and they say it will all night (Tuesday). UGH!  The teachers and kids will be so tired tomorrow!
 

6 comments:

  1. I am not looking forward to tornado season... I can handle just about any storms... but tornado weather/season stresses me out! Have a great Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tornadoes are so much more scary than hurricanes. We know days in advance when a hurricane is coming but tornadoes just pop up, most times without warning. I'm glad you had a safe place to stay until the warning ended. Thanks for joining the Medley today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty neat, y'all having a tornado shelter at work. I'm guessing it's sizeable? Here, I thought going into May (that) tornado season was over and done.
    On the BRIGHT side! I love that you remember your dad singing to you when you were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the schools here have tornado shelters, it is basically an auditorium underground with cement walls. There was a tornado hit a school in Moore, Ok a few years ago, plus the twin tornadoes in Joplin that killed so many. After that, the schools have gotten grants to get tornado shelters. I would say tornado season is just beginning. It really doesn't matter here in Missouri, they happen at any time. There were so many last night, the weather people were on the air for several hours...at 8PM last night they mentioned they had been on the air 5 hours and they were on when I turned the tv off and went to bed. They are wonderful.

      Delete
  4. Never been in a tornado shelter my mom has, she was from Nebraska.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don’t get tornadoes around here. They sound scary.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.