Pages

Friday, August 30, 2019

Saturday 9- Money for Nothing

http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com/






Money for Nothing (1985)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) Sweatbands are prominent in this very 1980s video. What's the last thing you wore on your head?  I had a small clip pulling up some hair to keep it out of my eyes.

2) The lyrics are from the point of view of a man who delivers and installs appliances. What's the biggest purchase you've made lately? Was it big in size or expense?  We had to get a new washing machine back in the summer.

3) The delivery man of the song imagines the worst thing that happens to a musician is a blister on his little finger or thumb. Do you have any minor aches or pains bedeviling you as you answer these questions?  not really, I am relaxing.  My back was pulled out the first week of school, but I am better now.

4) The term "dire straits" describes a troubling situation that's difficult to extricate oneself from. When's the last time you found yourself in dire straits?  It has been a long time.

5) There's a dinosaur called masiakasaurus knopfleri. It's a prehistoric, predatory lizard, and the paleontologists who discovered it were big Dire Straits fans, so they named it after lead singer/guitarist Mark Knopfler. Do you find dinosaurs fascinating, terrifying, or both?  I love dinosaurs, the preschoolers love to play with them and they are high interest for my kiddos.

6) Prior to his music career, Knopfler was a junior reporter, covering the entertainment beat for the Yorkshire Evening Post. Do you believe you would make a better musician or journalist?  I would not be very good at either. 

7) In 1985, when this song was popular, rib eye steak was $3.89/pound. Today it's more than twice that. Do you have any beef in your freezer right now?  Yes, my husband's family has cows and so we have our own beef from their farm.

8) In 1985, Michael Jordan won the NBA Rookie of the Year award after his first season with the Chicago Bulls. It was the beginning of a career that made him a hero and a household name. Who do you think today's young people look up to?   I do not know.  My son does not look up to the same types of people other young people look up to.

9) Random question: Friends take you to dinner for your birthday. The menu you're handed doesn't have any prices on it. Do you try to estimate the costs and choose what you guess is the least expensive entree? Or do you figure that since your friends want you to have a good time, you should order whatever you want?  I would definitely try to guess the least expensive entree, but I am not good at that.


10 comments:

  1. Glad your back is feeling better. That isn't fun at all.
    I am a dino fan as well. Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cannot help it if your son is smart. Maybe he is a chip off the old block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, us girls and our tres chic hair clips. At least it wasn't a day when I had to admit I still use scrunchies. lol
    I'm glad your back is feeling better. Back pain is the worst.
    Good for your son being his own person and not sharing the group-think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never stopped using scrunchies and I believe they are back in style, so I will have to buy a bunch to restock. They are easier to get out of our curly hair.

      Delete
  4. I have a feeling my next big purchase is a refrigerator, I had it since 1991.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you--beef from your family's farm. I'm jealous! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your son marches to his own drummer. That's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that your son is an individualist. My kids were too...those are the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a feeling you, too, would go for the least expensive. just like me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lori, Good for Shawn being his own kind of thinker! Enjoyed all your answers. Have a lovely day full of blessings dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.