Pages

Friday, May 24, 2024

Saturday 9: God Bless America

 



God Bless America

Saturday 9: God Bless America

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?  Not that I am aware of.


2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our Presidents?  no


3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?  no plans to at this time.


4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?  fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans, rolls


5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?  oh yes.  We have been having severe weather (tornadoes) off and on for a few weeks.  It is very humid here and in the 80's.


6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA?  no

7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen.  Nothing is coming to mind.  I am not a huge movie person.  I have been streaming on Netflix the past several weeks.  I think you guys would enjoy everything I have been watching...Outlander, Sweet Magnolias, Ozark, Virgin River, Bridgerton.


8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction?  no


9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now?  Chinese food.

I remember my Uncle Gary on Memorial Day killed in Vietnam:




I have been so busy lately.  We just finished our school year, but before that I was doing some training for school and we were planning Pre-K graduation.  We also had a lot of events we were doing at school for the kids.  It was fun, but now I will hopefully be around a little more.  I have several books ready to go.  I do have a training in St. Louis for school in a few weeks, but it is during the week, so hopefully I can do memes.

I couldn't get my blogger to edit my graphic or the pink background, I am out of practice or something.  Have a nice weekend.




9 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, If I cope the words directly from the meme page, I get the pink background to. So, I copy it to a text file, then copy the text back to Blogger to get a white page. We have been hearing about the crazy weather in the mid-west. Enjoy your time off school and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had trouble with blogger today, too. I think they've made some changes. I do what Susan advises above to not get the pink background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #7 I’ve been watching Outlander on Amazon Prime but I got out of the habit between the long gap between season 5 and 6.
    #9 I’m not a fan of Chinese food if I have to order Chinese then I order spring rolls or shrimp egg roll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE "Outlander." I should go back and watch the last few episodes to prepare for the release of the new season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lori:
    I like Potato salad and baked beans too.
    My Dad got a purple heart from WWII and my older brother got it. He is deceased now and so is his second wife, so I guess we will never get our Dad's purple heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the end of another school year!! I know you will enjoy your time off!! Fun questions and I enjoyed your answers, Lori!! I'm sorry your family lost a loved one in Vietnam. God rest the souls of all who sacrificed their lives for our country. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad was a proud veteran of WW II. My sister has whatever he kept from his years of service. I guess my daughters will inherit it all eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your blog looks just fine. Wishing you a beautiful Sunday, Lori. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was also having difficulty with the pink background...

    Our last day of school is the 6th of June, which is the earliest it's ever been because of how we had remote days on snow days and don't have to make them up. I'll actually be in Kansas City the last week of school and will miss it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.