Pages

Friday, September 25, 2026

Saturday 9: Don't Take Your Love from Me

 



Don't Take Your Love from Me

 

Saturday 9: Don't Take Your Love from Me (1956)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Doris Day sings about what happens when you take a petal from a rose. When did you last get or give flowers as a gift?  Karl always takes me out to get flowers for our yard on Mother's Day.
 
2) This song is about a woman who fears losing her love. What's the most recent thing you lost? (Hopefully it's not as consequential as a great love. It could be as small or unimportant as the back of one of your pierced earrings.) I am always losing things.  I lost a pair of pajama pants, but I found them.  They had fallen off the bed (under the bed).
 
3) Doris was known as The All-American Girl Next Door. Who lives next door to you? We have one guy across the road from us and a church, but that is all.  He is a single guy...older, he has kids.  I haven't seen them in a while though.  He is nice.  The other neighbors are down the road.
 
4) As a young girl, Doris Day was passionate about dance. She recalled that concentrating on her lessons helped distract her from the pain and embarrassment of her parents' divorce. When you want to escape from what's troubling you, what do you do?  I watch tv, read, listen to music.  I try to keep my mind busy.  I used to take a nap.  If it is bad enough, I will take a nap.

5) The maitre d' at one of Doris' favorite restaurants wanted to ask her out. Knowing how she loved her dogs, he impressed her by handing her a bag of meat scraps and bones to take home. They began dating and, in 1976, he became her last husband. What's the best way to your heart?  Treat me good...like be nice and respectful.
 
6) Over her long career, Doris received Golden Globe and Grammy Awards and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She was also inducted into the Ohio Women's Hall of Fame, honored for being one of the most celebrated women to have been born there. Name a famous person born in your home state.  John Hamm was born in Missouri, but in the area I live in Brad Pitt was born here in the Springfield area.  I used to go to church with his brother and sister-in-law.  They are really good and nice people.
 
7) She was frank about her financial difficulties, yet some people are uncomfortable discussing money. Are you one of those people?  I guess I am.  I do not really talk about money or lack thereof with anyone except family.

8) In 1956, when Doris released this song, The Wizard of Oz was shown on network TV for the first time. What movie have you seen multiple times?  Grease, Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music and many others.

9) Random question: Would you rather have a chef or a chauffeur?  chef.  I do complain about driving and will always let Karl drive, but if I am being honest, I enjoy driving for the peace of it.  I would pick chef because I would love to have someone put me on a diet that tastes good and helps me lose weight and be healthy.  I think a chef could do that.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, I picked chef too! I like how you say down the road. I am in the city and houses are all next to each other. I have seen all those movies too but did not write them down. That's interesting about Brad Pitt. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2: I am forever losing my glasses between the mattress and the headboard! I don't know why I just don't look there first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're just 1 degree away from Brad Pitt. That's way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't always nap when something is on my mind, although I am a firm believer in the healing power of sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.