Pages

Friday, March 6, 2020

Saturday9- Bye, Bye Blackbird

http://samanthasaturday9.blogspot.com/


Saturday 9: Bye, Bye Blackbird (1957)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this song, Julie London complains about all the "hard luck stories" people are handing her. Did you more recently listen to someone else's problems, or share your own?  Yesterday a friend at work shared with me about a problem and I listened to her.  I was happy to be available to listen.  I do not share my problems very often.  I share more on here...especially about Josh.

2) She promises to arrive "late tonight." What time do you think is too late to drop in on someone?  9 PM, that is when I go to bed.  I don't like it when people call after that time either because I always think something is really wrong.

3) Julie's nickname was "The Liberty Girl" because she was Liberty Records' first successful artist. The second was singer-songwriter David Seville, who had a couple novelty hits as "The Chipmunks." There were three singing chipmunks. Without looking it up, can you name them?  Alvin, Simon, Theodore.  My mom had this 45 and I listened to it all of the time as a kid.  There was also an Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon I watched.

4) Julie's love of music was shared by her mother.When Julie was a little girl, mother and daughter would listen to Billie Holiday records together. What recordings did you enjoy when you were very young?  The one above, Elvis, Cotton Fields, Okie from Muskogee...I had a pile of them.  I pretended I was a DJ as I played them on the record player.  My mom and dad were both from Muskogee, OK....just a fun fact.  I am sure that was a really fun song  for the people there.  I spent many summers and holidays in Muskogee with my Grandparents.  Josh loves Muskogee too.  It isn't even close to the town it used to be, but I am sure they still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse. ;)

5) She began modeling when she 17. Julie was working as an elevator operator when a talent agent saw her and decided she would photograph well. With the advent of push-button elevators, elevator operator is a job that doesn't exist anymore. Can you think of another job that was once common but now is rare (or non-existent)?  The first thing I thought of is the gas station attendant that pumps your gas and washed your windows.  I went to a place a few years back that had one of them, but it scared me to death.  Once I knew he was safe, I was fine, but I hadn't ran into one of them since I was a kid and they were pumping my mom's gas.

6) Julie recorded more than 30 albums and was named "most popular female vocalist" by Billboard magazine in 1956. If you could see any entertainer -- male or female -- in concert, who would you choose?  My concert days are over.  I went a lot as a teen, but I am just not into that scene anymore.  I think Garth Brooks or Bruno Mars would do a great concert, but given the opportunity I would probably not go.

7) She appeared in Westerns on both TV and in the movies. Have you ever dreamed of being a cowboy/cowgirl? no

8) For six seasons, Julie played Dixie McCall R.N. on the show Emergency! The series was about Los Angeles paramedics and firefighters. Do you often hear sirens in your neighborhood?  no, but when we do my dogs howl, so I know something is up.  I live in the country, so we do not hear sirens often.

9) Random question: You're pulled over for speeding. Do you think you'd have an easier time talking your way out of it if the officer was a man ... or a woman? 
I doubt I would try to talk myself out of it.  I would be more shocked that I even got pulled over.  I don't think it would matter if it were a man or woman.


11 comments:

  1. Our answers to #1 and #2 are so similar! People know more about me from the blog than from what I share in real life, and 9:00 is my "magic time," too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another who reveals more on the blog than I do in real life. It tickles me that you are the product of two Okies from Muskogee! I'm not in bed, but I don't like when people call after 9:00, either. That's my down time. I enjoyed getting to know more about you today. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you here as well.. I do not like that phone to ring after 9.. I'm sad that this question brought back a terrible memory for me.. back at home in the 1969. It was a couple days before Christmas I had been working at the 5 and dime and it had been a hard day... Mom and dad and I were all very tired so we went ot bed around 10 that night , after midnight our door bell rang. Dad got up and went to the door and it was a good friend and guy who worked with dad.. But we could tell he was in in a bad state.. he was argumentive and just wanted to come it and talk with dad. Dad wasn't in a mood to have company and he denied him to come in saying we were all aslep. To call him in the morning and they'd go out for coffee or something.. Finally, Eddie left and we were all rather relieved when he was gone.. Then the next morning we heard he had gone to a bar and gotten drunk and later committed suicide. It was a horrible moment in our lives... I don't think dad ever really got over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sad. You just never really know what people are going through.

      Delete
  4. Ohhhhhhh my husbands family especially his brothers call after 9...drive me nuts. But hey, I am not going to complain, the brothers are close.

    I enjoyed your answers, smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. We agreed on a lot of our answers. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a good listener is a wonderful gift, Lori. I used to loathe Okie from Muskogee, but now? I'm right there, singing along. (*smile*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've had too many late night phone calls that are news of tragedies. My heart always jumps when the phone rings late at night...and I HATE it if it's a robo call.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I like the music of Bruno Mars! I think with the Covid19 virus going around, I will forgo concerts and crowds for now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally forgot about full service gas stations! Good one, Lori! I enjoyed your answers today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would highly recommend Le_ meridian funding services to any person in need financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to customers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Le meridian funding service is best way to get an easy loan,here is there email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or talk to Mr Benjamin On WhatsApp Via_+1-989-394-3740 Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.