Pages

Friday, August 21, 2026

Saturday 9: Shoo Fly Pie (and Apple Pan Dowdy)

 



Shoo Fly Pie (and Apple Pan Dowdy)


Saturday 9: Shoo Fly Pie (and Apple Pan Dowdy) – 1946

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.

1) Shoo fly pie got its name from Shoo Fly the Boxing Mule. After the Civil War, the mule who could box was such a popular circus attraction that a molasses manufacturer started featuring him on their packaging. Since molasses is the key ingredient of this pie recipe, homemakers just began referring to it as "shoo fly pie." If we looked, would we find molasses in your kitchen?  no

2) Apple pan dowdy is another uniquely American recipe from the 19th century. It's like apple pie, except it only has a top crust, which is broken up. Apples are a good source of fiber, Vitamin C and antioxidants. Do you consider nutrition when choosing a dessert? Or are you just all about how it tastes?  Taste, but I am that person that will say ice cream is healthy for dairy and chocolate is good for anti-oxidants.  Just being silly, but I do not make them thinking about how they can be healthy.

3) The lyrics describe these two desserts as the ultimate comfort foods, able to make "the sun come out when the heavens are cloudy." Do you find that the foods you crave change with your mood?  Sometimes

4) Singer June Christy pleads with her mama to whip up this "wonderful stuff." Did your mother have a dish you often requested?  I like fried chicken and the works.

5) June was born in Springfield, Illinois' capital. Have you been to your state's capital city? I have been a few times.  I can be spontaneous for wanting to go on a day trip.  We got up one Saturday and I told Karl, let's take Josh to Lake of the Ozarks.  We went, but quickly became bored, so headed over to Jefferson City...the capital of Missouri.  It was Saturday, so everything was closed, but we looked at the statues and took a lot of pictures.  We ate some food and went home.  He was maybe in middle school here.  It was when he was still happy and willing to go and do things and take pictures.  Before his depression and anxiety.


6) June spent years singing with Stan Kenton's Orchestra. At one point, she gave 38 performances in 35 towns in 35 days. That's a busy schedule! Do you thrive on activity? Or do you find yourself rejuvenated by quiet time?  It depends on my mood.  I typically like the quiet as I get older, but I used to enjoy getting out and doing things.

7) In 1946, when this record was popular, bikinis were first seen in Paris fashion shows. How often have you worn your swimsuit this summer?  I haven't worn a swimsuit in a few years.

8) Also in 1946, Elias Tupper invented Tupperware, a plastic container with an airtight top that's great for preserving leftovers. Are there any leftovers in your refrigerator right now?  no, Karl ate the leftovers this evening.

9) Random question: Is there a day of the week that goes by faster than the others?  Saturday seems to fly by.

We had our meetings at school this week and had Open house and I met my kids.  They are cute and seem really sweet.  Nice families too.  First day of school is Tuesday.  Summer goes by so fast.  Here is a picture of our Pre-K team.  I am in the middle with the maroon sweater, brown hair and glasses.  We have some new teachers and I love them.  We have had so much fun so far.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.