Pages

Friday, June 21, 2024

Saturday 9: I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive

 



I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive


Saturday 9: I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive (1952)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Hank Williams sings that his fishing pole is broke and the creek is full of sand. OK, so he can't spend his Saturday fishing. What are your Saturday plans?  I don't really have plans, so I will probably read a little.  Karl is taking my car to have tint put on my windows, so I am excited about that.

2) He regrets how shabby his shoes are. Do you shop for shoes online, or do you prefer going to the store and trying them on?  I prefer to try them on unless it is tennis shoes, I buy the same brand every time and I know the size.  I would and have ordered those online.

3) This was the last Hank Williams song to be released during his lifetime. Though he was only 29 when he died, he left an enduring mark on American music and is considered one of country music's greatest singer/songwriters. Who is your favorite country music performer?  I don't really listen to country music, so I will go back to when I did and say Garth Brooks.

4) Elvis was a big fan and his favorite Hank Williams song was "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." What's your favorite Elvis song?  Oh gosh.  My mom was one of those crazy Elvis fans and so growing up hearing his music, I really like a lot of it.  I will say though that when I listen to him sing How Great Thou Art...it makes me cry.  His voice is so beautiful and the song is so powerful.  I enjoy Hound Dog a lot.  I really enjoy his voice.

5) Johnny Cash was a big Hank Williams fan, too. He performed Hank's gospel song, "I Saw the Light" often in concert and during his guest starring role in a 1974 episode of Columbo. Did you watch Columbo, or do you stream it or catch it in reruns?  no

6) Hank was a prolific songwriter, composing songs on his guitar and then printing the lyrics by hand on notepaper. He never learned to read music. Can you read music?  not really, I can follow along and know music notes and rests, but as far as knowing what the note sounds like...no.  I taught myself to play piano music from choir (from memory) when I was young, but I haven't played in years.

7) When he was a teen, Hank sang and played his guitar on the sidewalk in front of a local radio station, making a little money and hoping to be discovered. His plan worked and he was occasionally invited in to play with the radio station's house band. Were you a hard-working teen?  I was!  I started working when I was 15...not babysitting...I did that too for a year or so.  I have been working ever since.  I loved working and had fun with my friends.

8) Hank suffered from a congenital spinal condition and began self-medicating with alcohol during his teen years. He was warned against this early on by country superstar Ray Acuff, but Hank was unable to deal with the pain without liquor. Can you recall wise advice you wish you'd taken, but didn't?  When my dad had Alzheimer's and was still living, he told me I needed to lose some weight, that it was easier to lose when you did not have so much to lose.  I did work out all of the time trying to lose weight, but I couldn't lose weight.  After he died, I decided to go to the doctor and I had/have thyroid problems and I was going into perimenopause.  I have struggled ever since.  I do wish I could have lost weight.  I guess I wish I wouldn't have given up.

9) Random question: What's your favorite Mexican food?  burritos




8 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, I didn't know your dad had Alzheimer's. So did my mom. I hope your mom is doing well. I like your siggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain regarding your weight.. I hope you do not have to wait until your 70's to lose.l. like me. I used to do weight watchers and it was a dredge. but now since last year I ahve lost 50 pounds on WW and it is so much easier . You use an app on your phone and track what you eat using the phone info about foods and it is jsut a great way to lose. Now it is so cheap, too. Check it out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori--I hope you're enjoying your summer break! I've been doing a lot of reading. I gave myself the rest of June "off" before I work on curriculum in July. Summer goes by so fast! Loved your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, don’t give up about losing weight. I lost 75 pounds, gained it back, lost that same 75 pounds, gained it back. This t8me I’ve lost 100 pounds and I’m determined to keep it off. It’s hard work but worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new background! Did you find a new place? I was so sad when Cutest Blog went away. I enjoyed your answers and wish you a good weekend, Lori!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #8...I was just talking about this type of thing with my daughter, her husband and their friends when we were in the pool today...about the need to do what you want to do when you are younger because one day you won't be able to do it. It seems like everything gets harder as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like burritos too, but my favorite is chile rellenos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.