Animal Crackers in My Soup
Saturday 9: Animal Crackers in My Soup (1935)Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.
1) Do you eat soup all year round, or do you consider it a seasonal dish? Seasonal, we eat soup in the winter.
2) Gazpacho is a popular cold soup. Made with water-rich tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, it's considered a good choice for hot weather because it's hydrating. What are your favorite summertime foods? This summer it was ice cream. It is still hot here, close to 100. I am over it.
3) This week, Shirley Temple sings of the delights of having crackers in her soup. How often do you add crackers to your soup: always, sometimes, never? Always
4) "Animal Crackers in My Soup" was the big musical number in the 1935 movie Curly Top. Shirley played Elizabeth, who helps her older sister find love with a handsome millionaire. Have you ever played matchmaker? If yes, were your efforts successful? I do not play matchmaker. I never have.
5) Gertrude Temple, Shirley's mother, was her daughter's onset hairstylist, creating the famous "curly top" with pin curls. What's your hair care regimen? I wash and condition my hair, then I have gel and other curl products to get the frizz out and hold it. I dry it and style it. Then I use Moroccan oil to do more taming of the frizz.
6) Bartenders are still called upon to create the non-alcoholic Shirley Temple, made with ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, and grenadine. What's the most recent alcoholic beverage you drank? It was at my friend's baby shower. One of her other friends had her shower at a winery and there was punch and there was punch with wine. I had the punch with wine. I was stressed out from driving there and the wine chilled me out. It was just a little bit. I do not drink really at all. That was about 8 years ago.
7) In 1935, when this song was popular, Amelia Earhart flew from Honolulu to Oakland, California. Are you a nervous flyer? I have never flown. We always drive.
8) Also in 1935, The Hoover Dam was dedicated. Today it's a popular tourist attraction, with more than 7 million visitors each year. Have you ever been to Las Vegas? No and we never go anywhere, so that would not be a destination I would want to go to.
9) Random question: You get a spur-of-the-moment invitation to a meal with your best friend. Could you go wearing what you have on right now? no, I am getting ready for bed and I have on pajamas.
Funny story about this song. Before covid we took the preschoolers to visit a nursing home around Valentine's Day. The kids go in and color and sing to the residents. There was a ldy there that was singing this song over and over and one of our students was trying to sing with her. It was cute.
My first week of school went pretty good. I have some really sweet kids. I always feel relieved once we get started and I get to know the kids. You never know what you are getting and that class I had 2 years ago gave me PTSD. I did not want to teach anymore. I was afraid it would be more of the same...I had several kids eloping (running off out of the room) and that makes me nervous. I had one that would poop his pants every day and this would all happen during naptime. They would crawl under tables and just act crazy. Administration wouldn't help. That class is in 1st grade now and I have lunch with both teachers that had this one student and he is getting worse. The teacher said she doesn't know how she will be able to teach this year. It is sad. He is the sweetest little boy too. I think he has ADHD, so hopefully he learns to function with it. He comes to see me every morning and gives me a great big hug. The kids that gave me the hardest time that year are the ones that always have a hug for me. I do love them, but they are hard students.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.