Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2026

Saturday 9: Blueberry Hill

 

Blueberry Hill


Saturday 9: Blueberry Hill (1956)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

This month Saturday 9 will be tasty, featuring songs with food in the title.

1) Fats Domino sings about a hill named for blueberries. According to the Old Farmers Almanac, blueberries can grow just about anywhere in North America, as long as they have plenty of direct sunlight. Do you have a garden? I do not have a garden.  I just have some flowers planted.  My soil is red clay and rocks with just a little dirt.  It is hard to plant things here.  I would need a raised garden.

2) Blueberries are low in calories and rich in fiber. Are they a regular part of your diet? no, and I love them.  I know how good they are for us.  I need to make them part of my diet.

3) They also have a high moisture content. Staying hydrated is important to human health. Do you drink the standard recommended 8 glasses of water every day?  I probably drink about 4 glasses a day.  It has been in the 100's this week, so I have really been drinking the ice water.

4) Fats originally had a big hit with "Blueberry Hill" in 1956, and then enjoyed the record's renewed popularity in the mid-70s, when "Blueberry Hill" was often referenced as Richie Cunningham's favorite song. Without looking it up, do you remember what show Richie Cunningham was on? (Extra non-existent Saturday 9 points if you can also name the actor who played Richie.)  It was Happy Days and Ron Howard.  I watched Happy Days all of the time when I would visit my grandparents.  I loved that show.  There were a few shows I watched at their house and never at my house.  Weird.

5) Born Antoine Domino, he took the name "Fats" not just because of his physique. Growing up, jazz pianist Fats Waller was one of his heroes. If you were to adopt the first name of someone you admire, what would we call you?  Lucille, I would probably go by Lucy, but my grandma.

6) Despite his warm and friendly stage persona, Fats was shy around strangers and hated giving interviews. Tell us about something you did only because it was part of your job, not because you enjoyed it.  Cafeteria duty.  I usually have to do breakfast duty, but I eat lunch when the kids eat lunch, so others watch them.

7) In 1956, when this record was topping the charts, the Olympics were held in Melbourne. Have you ever been to the land down under?  No, but I would love to visit.

8)  The star of the 1956 Olympics was Austrian Toni Sailer, who won all three gold medals in Alpine skiing. Do you prefer snow skiing, water skiing, or just watching other people ski?  Watching people ski.

9) Random question: Do you believe everyone has a jealous streak?  I think so.  Some may be worse than others, but I think everyone experiences it to some degree and for different reasons.


I start back to school this week.  It will be meetings all this week and Open House on Thursday.  My room is almost ready.  I have been down to the school several times to work on it.  It takes a long time to get it ready.  Then the kids will start the next week.  I hope it cools off some so we can get outside for recess.



3 comments:

  1. Happy new school year! I hope it goes well for you and you love your kiddos and stuff. I always loved my teachers, so I think teachers are special people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori, I think you are a great teacher, and I pray this new year will go well. I hope the heat dies down. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.