Saturday 9: The Christmas Song (1961)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) The lyrics mention "chestnuts roasting on an open fire." Do you often eat chestnuts? Never, I have never even seen them before. Is this a real thing?
2) There's a reference to Jack Frost, too. Does cold weather help you get into the holiday spirit? Yes, it does for sure. When it is warm, it just does not seem like Christmas for me.
3) Nat sings that turkey helps to make the season bright. We just had it last month for Thanksgiving. Do you enjoy turkey all year around? Or do you consider it primarily a holiday dish? Primarily a holiday dish, but we will have it again about one or two times (full turkey dinner) in the year.
4) This song was published as "The Christmas Song," but people often refer to it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" or "Merry Christmas to You." When you think of this song, which title comes to mind? Merry Christmas to You
5) Nat King Cole had a big hit in the 1950s with "Mona Lisa." The ballad compares an enigmatic woman to the da Vinci painting, which hangs in the Louvre. The Mona Lisa has been called the most instantly identifiable painting in the world. Can you think of another famous painting that you recognize on sight? (Extra points if you include a picture!) Water Lilies by Claude Monet used to be a favorite of mine.
6) Best remembered today as a singer, Cole was also an accomplished composer and jazz pianist. Do you like jazz? just a little, it is not my favorite.
7) The only Christmas card Sam has received so far this year is from her dentist. She never sees Dr. Douglas socially. In fact, she hasn't seen him since her annual check-up last March. Have you received many cards this year? I have only received one so far also from a former student.
8) When did/will you start holiday shopping this year: Christmas Eve, Thanksgiving/Black Friday, Halloween? Earlier than that? I buy Bath and Body stuff for my co-workers, so I buy it a little along all year when it is on sale. The rest of the family we bought during Thanksgiving/Black Friday. I just have a couple more gifts to buy.
9) This time of year is big for charitable fundraising. Here's your chance to plug a cause or organization that's near and dear to you. We usually donate to Victory Mission, they serve the homeless food and help them with shelter, etc. We also donate to Convoy of Hope which helps during disasters such as hurricanes and tornadoes, etc. Then we also donate to St. Jude.