Pages

Friday, August 5, 2022

Saturday 9- Big, Bad John

 



Big, Bad John

August will be devoted to story songs. Here's the first:
 
Big, Bad John (1961)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) 
This song tells the story of a stern, enigmatic miner. None of the other miners knew much about him. When people first meet you, do you think they see you more as mysterious or straightforward?  I feel like I am straightforward, but I really do not know how people see me.
 
2) During a serious accident, many of the miners panicked. But not John. Think of your family, friends and acquaintances. Who would be the most dependable in a crisis?  My in-laws are very dependable.  When my dad was alive, he was too.

3) His heroism allowed 20 miners to escape, but cost John his life. According to the lyrics, there's a marble slab on site of mine that honors him. Is there a memorial to a local hero in your town?  no

4) This song was written and performed by Jimmy Dean. He began composing it on a flight from New York to Nashville. How do you amuse yourself while traveling?  In the past it was by listening to the radio and visiting with my husband Karl, but now I might listen to an audiobook.

5) Jimmy Dean hosted a long-running variety show on CBS, which is best-remembered today for introducing Jim Henson's puppets -- especially Rowlf, a dog who sang and told jokes. While Rowlf didn't make it to Sesame Street, he was a recurring character on the Muppet Show. Are you a Muppet fan?  Yes, they were really popular when I was a kid.

6) Jimmy found success in business with The Jimmy Dean Sausage Company. He sold the company to Sara Lee in 1984 for $80 million. Today Jimmy Dean breakfast products are still popular in grocery stores all over the country. What's your favorite breakfast?  Eggs, bacon, toast and hashbrowns.

7) In 1961, when this song was popular, Vogue asked if fashion sense is inborn or if a woman could learn to be chic. What do you think? Do you think style is either something you have, or you don't?  I think people have an "eye" for what they like.  Maybe it isn't fashionable, but people need to be comfortable.

8) Also in 1961, Ernest Hemingway took his own life. Did you read Hemingway in English class? Can you recall any other novels you read for school?  I am not sure that I have read any Hemingway, but Josh is getting a book by Hemingway for his birthday which was the 4th.  He turned 24.  I read The Great Gatsby, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, The Grapes of Wrath, The Scarlett Letter and many others.
 
9) Random question: Think about the last "white lie" you told. Was it to make your own day easier or spare someone's feelings?  To spare someone's feelings.



7 comments:

  1. When I travel, I'm often the driver so I amuse myself keeping on the road! Or I listen to the radio or Cd player. My favorite though is to listen to audio books. If I'm not the driver, I love to just watch the scenery. I would have to say my favorite breakfast would be eggs, sausage and a biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your answer to #1 because I wonder how people see me, too. Also, I'd enjoy that breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure how people see me, either, to be honest. Good answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was dependable, too, until he got sick with lung cancer. After that, even when he was in remission, he changed and just wasn't likely to be there for me. Which book is Josh getting? I like some Hemingway, but mostly I like to read about HIM. He lived life in the fast lane and sure was a larger than life character. Comfortable. Yep, that's my fashion style these days. I enjoyed your answers, Lori. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wrong about Hemingway,but was Faulkner...Light in August.

      Delete
  5. On the 4 hour drive to the Cape I also listen to audiobooks. Sometimes in traffic I kind of miss parts of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.