Pages

Friday, August 12, 2022

Saturday 9- W-O-L-D


 

W-O-L-D

W.O.L.D. (1973)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) 
This song tells the story of a man who has made a career in radio.  How many professions have you worked in?  fast food, grocery stores, working with the mentally handicapped and education. 4.  I have worked in 4 professions.
 
2) He describes himself as "45 going on 15." This morning, do you feel older or younger than your years?  I always feel older in my body and younger in my head.  I am just a big kid.

3) He estimates that he's traveled thousands of miles, from town to city, as disc jockey at various stations. Have you ever relocated for a job?  no.

4) This song is written as though he's reached out to an ex. Is there someone from your past who is on your mind this morning?  I had Open House tonight (as I am writing this...so Friday night).  I have lots of kids of friends from high school in my class this year (they would be grandkids).  I guess I am thinking about them.  It is so nice to see people you haven't seen in years.  BTW...I teach pre-K, so lots of families bring in the Grandparents.  That is a fun thing about pre-K.  It is exciting and new and everyone wants to be there. :)

5) Tell us about a radio personality you grew up listening to.  When I was a kid everyone listened to Woody P. Snow on Rock 99.  He was awesome.  He left the area for a while and then he came back to a different station years later.  I imagine he is probably retired now.


6) This week's featured artist, Harry Chapin, was an Oscar nominee. Before he became a musician, he wrote and directed a documentary about boxing called Legendary Champions. When you sit down to watch a movie, would you prefer action, comedy, drama, fantasy, horror, mystery, romance, thriller or documentary?  I like to mix it up.  I enjoy most genres of movies.  It is almost what type of mood I am in and what catches my eye at the time.
 
7) Today Harry Chapin is fondly remembered for his philanthropy. He filled his calendar with benefit concerts that supported local food banks all around the country. How would you like to be remembered?  I would like to be one of those teachers' people talk about saying they made a difference in their child's life or helped them love school...something like that, but I think that is mostly reserved for high school teachers.  My dad is fondly remembered that way.  He came up at Open House.  Makes my heart so happy to listen to people talk about my dad.

8) In 1973, when this song was popular, one of the top-selling toys was a Curious George book packaged with a plush Curious George. Can you recall a favorite book from your childhood?  I was in the Dr. Seuss book club or something.  I have all of them and I read them at school during Dr. Seuss week.  My favorite as a kid was probably One Fish Two Fish.  Now it would be The Lorax.
 
9) Random question: Here's $100. What will you spend it on?  I would spend it on Josh.  He had his birthday last week (4th) and then got covid.  We did not get to celebrate much.  He ended up going out with one of his friends.  They went to see the movie "Elvis".  He loved it.  He wasn't all that sick, but I got him the antivirals and those helped.  We still need to celebrate.  I think he wants to go to Cheddar's.  Here is Josh and Cryssi on his birthday at the movie theater.  Cryssi gave him that silly hat.  He loves it.





13 comments:

  1. #4 My brother was 5 years older than me, all through school it was "Oh, Rick is your brother?" The worst was the French teacher it was always "Your brother..." I dropped out of that class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my senior students write a letter to an influential elementary/middle school teacher--and we talk about the impact they had. It makes the teachers' day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading about Josh's birthday, "his birthday (4th) I thought he was 4 until I read that he and a friend had gone to the Elvis movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry, his birthday was August 4th. He turned 24.

      Delete
  4. Wishing you the bet year yet! How fun to have such great connections with your parents this year! Sounds like a fun year coming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited. One of them asked me last night if I have ever had so many kids in a class where I knew their families already. I don't think I have. I hope it is a great year. :)

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a great school year, and that Josh is over his Covid. Lots of people have it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great picture of Josh!! I'm happy to hear his covid wasn't too serious. I enjoyed your post, Lori!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and all the best to you and your students in the coming year!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that picture of Josh! You're right, our answers are very similar, but then they usually are. Maybe it comes from being close in age (even though I am a few years older) CountryDew is about my age and we think alike on a lot of cultural things. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also feel like a kid. Please come on over and we can do something with each other's hair. K? Have a great week Lori..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lori, Zach looks so happy! My 4th grade teacher made a big impact in my life. She got me to enjoy reading. She really encouraged me. My 6th grade teacher did too and encouraged me to look ahead to college. I only remember one thing about my kinder teacher. She was kind. I know one teacher did not like my ADHD. If I had to go it all over again, I would have gone into teaching. So glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope he gets over covid quickly. I feel like a kid too. I guess I will never grow up. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.