Saturday 9: This Night Won't Last Forever (1979)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song begins with, "Everybody likes a celebration." Do you have any birthdays or anniversaries coming up on your calendar? Not for a while. My birthday was September 9th, but we do not have one now until November.
2) The lyrics tell us Michael Johnson is stuck at a party while his heart is breaking. He finds it awkward and painful to pretend there's nothing wrong. Are adept at "putting a good face on it?" Or is it easy for others to tell how you're feeling? It depends. I am pretty good at putting a good face on. Josh hates that I do that all of the time. Sometimes though I get in a bad mood and I don't even try to hide how I am feeling. I don't like to talk about what is wrong, so I just act like everything is fine.
3) Michael feels like this is going to be a long night. Is there a part of your day when time tends to drag? Or when it flies? The day starts really dragging about 2:00 in the afternoon when I am at school.
4) As bad as he feels right now, he's still hopeful about tomorrow. What are you looking forward to for Sunday? Church and the KC Chiefs game.
5) When he was 13, Michael taught himself to play the guitar. He went on to take formal lessons and mastered classical guitar. What's something you would like learn more about/do better? I always wished I could play piano.
6) For a time he performed with a trio known as Denver, Boise & Johnson. The Denver was John. Do you have a favorite John Denver song? Take Me Home Country Roads and Annie's Song.
7) He retired to Minneapolis to be near his adult daughter. But he never stopped performing entirely. For years he delighted loyal local fans with an annual holiday concert on December 26 at Orchestra Hall. Is there a performer you've seen in concert more than once? The Beach Boys, I have seen them twice.
8) In 1979, when this song was popular, the cable channel ESPN launched. What's the last sporting event that you watched? I am watching a St. Louis Cardinals game right now on Apple TV as I type this...Albert Pujols just hit his 700th career homerun. What a beautiful moment in baseball! Great career. This has been such a fun season to watch.
9) Random question: Do you play Wordle? no, I played it once and it just didn't do anything for me. I waste enough time as it is.