Pages

Friday, September 23, 2022

Saturday 9: This Night Won't Last Forever

 



This Night Won't Last Forever


Saturday 9: This Night Won't Last Forever (1979)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) This song begins with, "Everybody likes a celebration." Do you have any birthdays or anniversaries coming up on your calendar?  Not for a while.  My birthday was September 9th, but we do not have one now until November.
 
2) The lyrics tell us Michael Johnson is stuck at a party while his heart is breaking. He finds it awkward and painful to pretend there's nothing wrong. Are adept at "putting a good face on it?" Or is it easy for others to tell how you're feeling?  It depends.  I am pretty good at putting a good face on.  Josh hates that I do that all of the time.  Sometimes though I get in a bad mood and I don't even try to hide how I am feeling.  I don't like to talk about what is wrong, so I just act like everything is fine.

3) Michael feels like this is going to be a long night. Is there a part of your day when time tends to drag? Or when it flies?  The day starts really dragging about 2:00 in the afternoon when I am at school.
 
4) As bad as he feels right now, he's still hopeful about tomorrow. What are you looking forward to for Sunday?  Church and the KC Chiefs game.
 
5) When he was 13, Michael taught himself to play the guitar. He went on to take formal lessons and mastered classical guitar. What's something you would like learn more about/do better?  I always wished I could play piano.
 
6) For a time he performed with a trio known as Denver, Boise & Johnson. The Denver was John. Do you have a favorite John Denver song?  Take Me Home Country Roads and Annie's Song.
 
7) He retired to Minneapolis to be near his adult daughter. But he never stopped performing entirely. For years he delighted loyal local fans with an annual holiday concert on December 26 at Orchestra Hall. Is there a performer you've seen in concert more than once?  The Beach Boys, I have seen them twice.
 
8) In 1979, when this song was popular, the cable channel ESPN launched. What's the last sporting event that you watched?  I am watching a St. Louis Cardinals game right now on Apple TV as I type this...Albert Pujols just hit his 700th career homerun.  What a beautiful moment in baseball!  Great career.  This has been such a fun season to watch.



9) Random question: Do you play Wordle?  no, I played it once and it just didn't do anything for me.  I waste enough time as it is.


8 comments:

  1. I forgot that I've seen the Beach Boys a few times. I had a hard time choosing a John Denver song--I really loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #8 I'm lucky that there is another way home tomorrow than driving through Foxboro and by Gillette Stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't get into the wordle thing either! Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Wordle for me either and I wish I had stuck with piano lessons all those years ago! Have a blessed Sunday, Lori, and good luck to your team!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen the Beach Boys. I bet they are a great concert! I picked the same two John Denver songs. I agree, I don't need to waste more time with Wordle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you know as a Cub fan I am nearly genetically unable to root for the Cards. BUT I am sentimental about the game and I'm so glad Albert is doing all the swinging for St. Louis and not the Angels! What a beautiful show he's putting on. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are lucky to have seen the Beach Boys! I guess working with little kids would be tiring. I know that my youngest wants to do a lot of things. That is if he isn't playing a game on his electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Women are always "Swallowing" their "own Bitterness", as the Chinese put it. You saw the Beach Boys.. Whoot! I saw Janice Joplin and her band one year at a small, local concert. It was a small space so very cozy. Sorry to be so late to read the Saturday Nine this week Hope your week's been good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.