Pages

Friday, September 2, 2022

Saturday 9- Blue Collar Man

 



Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man (1978)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, we hear a job equated with security. Tell us something that gives you a sense of security.  Having enough money for groceries, gas, paying bills.  We are struggling.

2) Lead singer Tommy Shaw hopes someone will make him an offer he can't refuse. That's a reference to a famous movie quote. Without looking it up, can you name the film?  nope.  I am not a person that remembers movie quotes.  

3) Shaw recalls that this song was inspired by a friend of his, a blue collar worker who had been laid off and was frustrated by the process of job hunting. His friend wanted to work, not fill out forms and job applications and wait days for a response! Do you quickly become impatient?  not really

4) The name "Styx" wasn't the top choice of anyone in the band. As founding member Denis DeYoung recalled, "It was the only name none of us hated." Tell us about a recent compromise you made (which TV show to watch, toppings on your pizza, etc.).  Maybe a food choice.  I could eat Mexican all of the time and Josh doesn't love Mexican.  Nothing is really coming to mind.

5) Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. How many different employers have you had? 7- McDonald's, 2 grocery stores, 2 supported living places and 2 school districts.

6) The first Waffle House was opened on Labor Day, 1955. What's your preference: waffles or pancakes?  I like both but cannot eat them very often...too sweet.  It depends really on my mood which I pick.  When we stay at hotels, I always choose waffles, when we make them at home, it is pancakes.
 
7) Labor Day mattress sales are a big business. Experts tells us we can expect to spend $1,000 for a good-quality queen-sized mattress. Will you be buying a new one -- or perhaps making another big ticket purchase for your home -- before year end?  I hope not, but the way things are made now, who knows.  We just bought new furniture over the summer and we bought a bed a few years ago, so we are good there, but the washer and dryer make me nervous and they are pretty new also. :/

8) Will you be attending a Labor Day picnic or barbecue?  no, I am hoping to read.  Karl is a Union Laborer though.  We probably should.  I have been to a union Labor Day picnic before.  It is fun.

9) Labor Day is the unofficial start of fall. Have you had any pumpkin spice yet?  I do not really go out of my way for pumpkin spice, I think I would enjoy it, but we do not spend money on things like that.  I do spend money on mums and pumpkins for my yard though.


9 comments:

  1. I buy pumpkin coffee creamer. I don't buy the Starbucks because it is expensive and full of sugar. I love Mexican food too. My husband made homemade salsa today to take to out family summer gathering and pool party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your waffle/pancake order depends on whether or not you're cooking. Waffles are a lot more work, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mexican food too but lately all our Mexican restaurants are messing up so I am having to cook my own

    Have a great weekend 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your answer on the pancakes/waffles questions, is pretty much how I feel too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you are struggling. This inflation is crazy and then half the time the stores don't have what you want. I'm really hoping I get the library job I interviewed for this week so I can help out because I just don't see this getting better any time real soon. Enjoy your weekend. I hope you get to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #7 My washer just started leaking... I got my money worth through, I had it for 31 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We bought a GE dryer in 2019 and after going through several timers, we gave up and bought a Speed Queen - and then the door handle broke on that. Fortunately, my husband was able to fix it, because the appliance guy who came out couldn't and he never let us know if he was going to order a new door or what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, you and millions of others are struggling (as we are too)--sign of the times I guess. sigh. I love pancakes and waffles, so please don't make me choose, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep... I am in the ranks of those who are struggling too so understand. This was another fun Saturday 9 and I always enjoy your posts, Lori! Enjoy your reading time!! Sounds just right! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.