Pages

Friday, August 11, 2023

Saturday 9: Diana

 




Diana

Saturday 9: Diana (1957)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Legend has it that Paul Anka wrote this song about his favorite babysitter. In your younger days, did you make a little extra money as a sitter?  I did.  I watched a boy and girl.  We are still family friends.

2) Paul sings he doesn't care what "they" say about his love for an older girl. Have you ever had a romantic relationship that your friends or family didn't approve of?  Yes, I dated this guy in college that my friends hated and my mom loved.  I was actually scared of him.  I was afraid to break up with him, but I finally did.  My mom was mad and my friends were very happy.  They knew more what was going on (he hit me).   My mom had no clue, I told her later.

3) Paul was once a choirboy, singing with the St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral choir in Ontario. Have you ever performed with your church choir?  Yes, I was in our church choir for a while before Josh was born.  It was a big choir.

4) When Paul was 15, he left Ontario to find fame and fortune in New York. He had $100 in his pocket, a gift from his uncle. Tell us about someone in your life who who believed in you and encouraged you.  My dad.  He always believed in me.  He always told me to do the best I could do and that is all people can ask of me.  I try always to do that.

5) Paul seldom gets credit for one of his most familiar compositions: the theme to The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Since Johnny retired in 1992, The Tonight Show has been hosted by Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, and Jimmy Fallon. Which of these Tonight Show hosts is your favorite?  I preferred Johnny.  I watched all of them when they were on.  I don't think I really have a favorite of those.

6) In 1978, Paul Anka hired Las Vegas' first female bartender for his restaurant, Jubilation. Where did you most recently dine out?  We had Chinese last night at a place called China House.

7) In 1957, when "Diana" was a hit, Wham-O began producing Frisbees. The toy was a massive success, even outselling the hula hoop. Do you enjoy tossing a Frisbee?  Not really.  

8) Also in 1957, the book Peyton Place was made into a blockbuster film. Book lovers often say that, no matter what, the movie is never as good as the book. Do you think that's true?  I do.  I always remember quiet thoughts from a person in the book that often get left out of movies and it loses it's meaning.  I also have my own idea from the authors words how things should "look".

9) Random question: This Saturday, the treat's on Sam. Will you have buttered popcorn, caramel corn or cheese popcorn?  Right now as I type this I feel like buttered popcorn please. ♥

I worked in my classroom yesterday.  We are still combined with the two preschool classes.  Hopefully we will be in our new building soon.  Hopefully just a couple of months.  This week coming up we start training and meetings at school and have Open House on Thursday.  I am excited to meet my kids and families!


9 comments:

  1. #2: I'm so sorry you had a boyfriend like that. #6: I haven't had Chinese food in forever! Now you make me want to order it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so true that we "see" the words and descriptions in our own way. I am sorry he did that to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We both put our dads for #4. I sure miss my dad and I know you miss yours. Good luck with your new kids and schoolyear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I'm sure that boyfriend was pretty scary. I'm glad you got away from the relationship without anything worse happening! I can't believe it's already back to school time, with some having already gone back this week. The summer has flown by and now that I'm working full time I don't feel like I even got to enjoy it. Praying you have a great year with the kiddos and that you get your classroom soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lori, your dating experience was scary!

    I also worked in my classroom this week. We have our Freshman Orientation Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got away from the guy who hit you. Hope the school year continues to improve with the upcoming changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A song I have heard many times, having a boyfriend like that is terrible but at least you got away from him and didn't end up in a horrible long term relationship with him

    ReplyDelete
  8. School started back here in central Florida Thursday, smiles. Wishing you a happy school year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fun meme today! Your school much start later. Ours was back last week. It is weird seeing the buses on the road when I go to work. Good luck and I hope you get in the new building as expected!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.