Pages

Friday, August 4, 2023

Saturday 9- Linda

 



Linda

Our theme for August is "girls' names."
 
Linda (1946)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Buddy Clark sings that when he can't sleep he doesn't count sheep, he enumerates Linda's charms. Did you sleep well last night?  I have not been sleeping well for the last week or so. I think it is just too hot.  We are close to 100º and high humidity.

2) In addition to singing with big bands, Buddy sang commercial jingles live on radio programs and was the voice of Carnation Milk. Can you think of a jingle that's stayed in your head?  The thing with me is a jingle from my childhood or any other time really can pop out of my mouth at any minute.  I get theme songs stuck in my head all of the time.  Thank-Goodness for St. Joseph's is going through my head right now.  Wasn't that aspirin?  I don't even know if they make that anymore.  This is the stuff I deal with all of the time.  I bet everyone does. 

3) For "Linda," Buddy Clark performed with bandleader Ray Noble. Ray was classically trained at London's Royal Academy of Music, but much preferred big band music to that of Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin. When did you last listen to classical music?  It has been a year or so.  Josh found a classical station and we were listening to it.  I love classical music.
 
4) Composer Jack Lawrence named this song after a particular little girl, the daughter of his lawyer, Lee Eastman. Without looking it up, do you know what became of Lee Eastman's daughter Linda?  no

5) According to the Social Security Administration Linda was long one of the most popular names for American baby girls. It was #2 in the 1940s and 1950s (second only to Mary). By the 1960s it slipped to #7 and by the 1970s it fell to #68. Are there many Lindas in your life?  My mom's cousin is named Linda.  She visited my mom in April or so.

6) 1946, the year this record was released, is regarded as the first year of the Baby Boom, which lasted until 1964. Are you a Boomer, a Gen-Xer, a Gen-Yer, or a Milllennial?  Generation X

7) In the summer of '46, hats were a standard part of any woman's outfit. Hats for day, hats for evening, hats for rainy days ... The 1946 Sears Spring-Summer catalog devoted nine pages to women's hats. Do you own many hats? If yes, for what occasions do you wear them?  I have several hats.  I mostly wear them to baseball games and hat days at school.  I also have some Christmas hats I wear at Christmas and Halloween ones too for Halloween.  Pre-K thing.

8) Also in 1946, the Mensa Society was created. The only qualification to join was an IQ in the top 98th percentile. Do you know your IQ?  I do know my IQ, I am not in the Mensa Society.  Hahahaha

9) Random question: Tell us something you admire about your best friend.  I have a friend that never says a bad thing about anyone.  I think she is absolutely awesome.

I have been MIA, end of June my mom got a BAD UTI.  She was out of her mind.  She had to stay in the hospital for a week.  Then she went to a rehab facility around the 4th of July and they sent her home the 5th.  She was still out of her mind, so she was staying with us at our house.  I was able to take her home last Wednesday, but I am still going to set up her medications for her and take her grocery shopping.  I think her doctor appointments are done for a bit.  She is doing so much better though.

ALSO-  Happy birthday to Josh!  He had his birthday yesterday August 4th.  This picture was taken in June right before my mom got sick.  We went to St. Louis and did some fun stuff.  This was taken outside the art museum.




9 comments:

  1. Welcome back! So sorry to hear about your mom and glad she's on the mend. Josh has a great face. (Hi, Josh!)
    #2: I think I remember that jingle. "St. Joseph asp-ir-in for child-er-in."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they still make St. Joseph’s aspirin but now it’s marketed as a low dose aspirin for cardiac patients

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lori, I'm so glad your mom is getting better--that is scary! Happy birthday to Josh! I'm also Gen-X and it fits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your young Josh is a handsome young man!! Happy birthday!! So sorry your mom was so sick and is still getting better. Those UTIs can be so awful. I always enjoy my visits here, Lori!! Nice to 'see' you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your mom is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad your mom is better. UTIs are not fun and they can do a lot of strange things to people, especially if they're not treated properly. I'm glad she has you to take care of her. And happy birthday to Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a song I knew but listened to it and liked it, good to hear your mum is getting better a UTI can make some really sick

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather is dreadful where you are. Along our coast we are over the worst weather which happened in winter and spring.
    Your son is so handsome! Happy Belated birthday to you, Josh!
    So glad to hear your mom is on the mend. Straight cranberry juice is what I drink every time that little devil illness starts to kick me around. My sister-in-law told me to do that. Tastes rather tart but it does the trick for me. Glad she is better.
    My hubby takes St. Joseph's baby aspirin as a preventative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to Joshua! Glad to hear your mom is doing better! It has been hot here too and it is hard to sleep at night. We have air, but don't run it too cold because the bill will be outrageous! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.