America, The Beautiful
Saturday 9: America, the Beautiful (1987)
Unfamiliar with Barbra Streisand's recording of this tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.
1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? I live in a little tiny town. There is nothing here to my knowledge, but there is a battle ground in a bigger city near me.
2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them. My Uncle Gary (my dad's brother) was in Vietnam and my Grandpa was in WWII. I think I have shared about both of them here at my blog. My Uncle Gary died in Vietnam, so I will share his picture.
3) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet? no, the weather has been crazy. We have been in the 50's this week with rain during the day. It has felt cold.
4) What's your favorite picnic food? When I was little my mom always made fried chicken. I liked that a lot. We usually have burgers and hot dogs now.
5) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room? The heat has been on, it is not currently running, but it will be on tonight.
6) Lyricist Katharine L. Bates said she was inspired to write "America, the Beautiful" after a trip to Pike's Peak. What's the most beautiful spot in America that you have ever visited? I actually cried when I saw the Smoky Mountains. They are beautiful. Otherwise, probably the ocean.
7) Though we're talking summer this morning, Santa is going to get a shoutout. Before "America, the Beautiful" was published, Katharine L. Bates wrote a poem called, "Goody Santa Claus on a Sleigh" which is remembered for introducing Santa's wife, Mrs. Claus. Share a fond memory of the 2021 holiday season. I want to say covid was acting up pretty bad around Christmas. I do not think my mom came up for Christmas because if it. I guess it is just looking at Christmas lights places we would go. We had a Thanksgiving/Christmas mix get together with Karl's family at the restaurant Josh worked at and that was fun. That was the last time I was there before they closed recently. Josh is still loving his new job at Silver Dollar City. He even told them he would work full time. I am so happy for him.
8) This week's featured artist, Barbra Streisand, sang "America, the Beautiful" during a benefit concert. She admitted to James Corden that she suffers from stage fright and before she performs, she prays, "Let go, let God." What's something that scares you, but that you do anyway? I have to do things all of the time as a teacher that make me a bit nervous. The latest was pre-K graduation. I hope I am less nervous next year. It really wasn't a big deal. I do this stuff to myself. I am writing this Thursday night...tomorrow is my last day of school. I am so ready to READ!
9) Question for a weekend when many of us will sleep in: Are you a morning person? no, when my alarm does not go off, I sleep in. I am happy to have a break from it this summer!
The last day of school was a good one. We had our groundbreaking ceremony. I am in the gray shirt and sunglasses and the three kids looking at the camera are from my class. I am going to miss those kids so much. So excited for the next chapter for these kids with our new building. My husband will be working on it too, so I will know about the progress.