Pages

Friday, May 20, 2022

Saturday 9: River of No Return

 



River of No Return

Saturday 9: River of No Return (1954)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Marilyn Monroe performed this song in the 1954 western, River of No Return. In the movie (and at the beginning of this clip) she wears jeans. The wardrobe mistress bought the jeans off the rack at JC Penney's. Yet because of their connection to Marilyn, they are valuable memorabilia. Designer Tommy Hilfiger bought them for a reported $75,000 and today they hang in the closet of Britney Spears. Do you ever shop at thrift stores or websites for second-hand or vintage clothes?  No, not really.  I did find a secondhand store near my house that had upscale clothes for a lesser price, but I think they closed.  I need to look into that.  I loved shopping there for myself and they had a different one next door for younger people and I liked getting Josh some clothes there.  Same thing, all designer clothing.

2) In this song, she sounds melancholy as she recalls a lover who has gone. We hope this morning you're feeling more chipper than Marilyn. In one word, describe your mood.  I am feeling anxious.  I am writing this on Thursday night and I have pre-K Graduation tomorrow night.  I just want it to be a really nice night for the families.

3) In real life, Marilyn's love life was sailing along. During the filming of this movie, her famous boyfriend, Joe DiMaggio, visited her on location in Canada and they were married by the time the movie was released. Joltin' Joe was of course one of baseball's greats. How is your baseball team doing this season?  The St. Louis Cardinals are in second in their division, so that is pretty good, but they just make me nervous.  I am enjoying watching Yadi, Wainwright and Pujols a lot though.

4) It was during her romance with Joe that Marilyn learned to cook. She enjoyed preparing Thanksgiving stuffing from scratch. Do you have a favorite recipe to share?  I do not really use many recipes.  The foods I make, I have made so often, that I do not follow a recipe.
 
5) Over her lifetime, Marilyn had 43 different addresses. She was always a renter until February 1962, when she bought her final home in Brentwood. If you're a renter, do you ever wish you owned? If you're an owner, do you ever think you'd be happier as a renter?  I rented when I was young and in college, but I am much happier as an owner.  
 
6) Marilyn tended to her famous alabaster complexion with Nivea, which is still available at drugstores today. What's the last thing you purchased at a drugstore? Was it medication? Food or snacks? Health and beauty? Something else?  It was medication
 
7) Her signature scent was Chanel No. 5. What fragrance do you wear most often?  I am not a fan of perfume.  The smell of it changes as soon as it hits my skin.  I wear Victoria's Secret Pure Seduction lotion.

8) The year Marilyn's recording was released, John Travolta was born. What's your favorite John Travolta movie?  John Travolta is not a favorite actor of mine, so I will just go with Grease.  I do love him in that movie.
 
9) Random question: What happened to your first car? (Sold? Traded in? Still in your garage?)  It broke down when I was in college and we traded it for a different car for me.  My dad traded it.  I had no clue.


9 comments:

  1. While I can't WATCH the Cards -- the rivalry runs deep -- I have such admiration for Yadi, and I'm sentimental enough to be happy Pujols is back where he belongs. Someone has to win the division, right? And clearly it's not going to be my guys so why can't it be your guys? It's funny: here in Chicago, White Sox fans OBSESS about the Cubs, while we Cub fans are too busy concentrating on the Cards to give the Sox a second thought. Anyway, go get those Brewers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I am going to a Cub/Cardinal game. They sell out tickets so fast for that series. :( It is my favorite.

      Delete
  2. I hope your graduation went well. I'm sure it was fine. I am not a Travolta fan, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope graduation went smoothly. My seniors are getting jittery about thier upcoming graduation (June 5).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one of THOSE people, the ones I can't get a recipe from for something yummy they'd made because...no recipe! Just a pinch of this and a dash of that. Tim's aunt was a great cook, but I never got any of her recipes for that reason. How did the graduation turn out? I hope it went well. I may get to attend my grandson's pre-school ceremony this coming Thursday. It depends on whether his daddy is up to going (it's at 11:00 in the morning and Daddy works midnight shift). It's always fun to learn some more about everyone and I enjoyed your answers. Have a great weekend, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lori, hope you are having a nice weekend. I am giving my blog, Splashes of Joy another try. Lots of updating to do! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hard time with "Grease." I love the music and hate the story. It was always difficult when I had to review it in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that. The story is not a great one, but the music is so good. I am with you on the message though.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes Grease! Yes, it is Stress Away. I love that smell! Joy was too strong for me. I don't use a recipe when I cook either unless I am trying something new. I am sure the graduation will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.