Pages

Friday, May 6, 2022

Saturday 9: Your Mother Should Know


Your Mother Should Know

Saturday 9: Your Mother Should Know (1967)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's featured artists, The Beatles, invite us to get up and dance to a song that was a hit before your mother was born. Do you enjoy the oldies? How old must a song be before you consider it "old?"  I have never really thought about it.  Maybe 20 years?  I really don't know.

2) Paul McCartney knew bandmate John Lennon's mom, Julia, and credits her with introducing him to the ukulele. Do you recall any of your childhood friends' mothers with fondness?  Not really.  I know that sounds bad.  I do however have a friend who their dad would take us to the symphony.  That was so cool.  I loved it.
 
3) Paul's own mother, Mary, tried to instill in her son a sense of pride in his appearance and saw to it he always left the house in a clean, ironed shirt. Paul says that, to this day, when he smells fresh laundry, he thinks of his mum. Is there a scent or sound that reminds you of someone you love who is no longer with us?  Fresh baked goods make me think of my Granie.

4) George Harrison was the only member of the band to have any formal musical training. His mother, Louise, supported her son's musical ambitions and made sure he got guitar lessons. Did you take music classes as a child?
nothing formal.  I had some voice lessons/training when I was in high school.  My choir teacher wanted me to take some music to contest as a solo.  It made me way too nervous.  I only did it that one year.  I was in several ensembles over the years though.

5) Ringo Starr was a sickly and often hospitalized little boy. His mother, Elsie, took a job as a barmaid so she could work at night, leaving her days free during visiting hours. When were you most recently in a hospital? Were you an admitted patient, there for an outpatient procedure, or visiting someone?  I had gall bladder removal surgery around 2017.  It was an outpatient procedure.  We have good medical insurance.  I wish they would have let me stay overnight.

6) Mother Winters always gave our own Crazy Sam peppermint tea to calm her stomach. Do you have any tried-and-true home remedies to share?  I don't think so.  I have rubbed peppermint essential oil on my tummy and that does work too.

7) Sam's mother always tips 15% in restaurants. Sam has worked in food service and is more judgmental, tipping between 10% and 25%, depending on the quality of the service. What's your tipping policy?  I like to tip between 10-15%, but it truly does depend on the service.  We have given much more to those that do an outstanding job.
 
8) Sam's mother still gets the Sunday paper because of the sales fliers. She makes separate lists for each store, picking up grocery and household items where she knows they are on sale. Sam thinks her mother's strategy is a waste of time and gas and prefers one-stop shopping (even better, online one-stop shopping). Are you more like mother or daughter?  I have done both.  When I would visit my Granie when she was living, we would take Josh around to different stores to buy his school supplies and I loved doing that.  She lived in the city though where lot of stores were close to one another.  I live in the country, so getting to any store takes a while.  I tend to pick one store and buy everything there.

9) Sam is celebrating Mother's Day with her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds?  all of them


 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Lori, did you have the "lap band" surgery and that is why they let you out? I agree, any chocolate is good! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I bet you felt so dressed up going to the symphony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly amazed (or maybe shocked) at the procedures they do as out-patient surgery these days that used to get you at least a few days if not a week in the hospital. My mom had her knee replaced last year and that was outpatient! It just seems crazy and risky in some cases to me. I spent 3 days in the hospital when I had my gall bladder out, but then I went to the ER with an attack that wouldn't subside and they kept me till the surgeon had an opening and then the surgery wasn't until 6:00 in the evening so I got to stay another day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having your gallbladder out is no joke. I was an OR nurse for a couple of years, and it's no wonder you feel like crap afterwards! Lot's going on in there. I had mine out in 2008, so I feel you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I with you liking all the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I said chocolate with almonds, but I like chocolate however it is given!! Fun questions and I liked your answers!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the chocolate! You win!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.