Pages

Friday, July 15, 2022

Saturday 9: Brandy

 



Brandy

Saturday 9: Brandy (1972)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) This song opens in a bar where lonely sailors reminisce about their homes. How long have you lived at your current residence? Does it feel like home?  Karl and I have lived at our house for 25 years.  It does feel like home...our house, but I wish it were in my hometown.  I would love to live closer to the lake.

2) Brandy is a waitress at the bar. Have you ever worked at a job where you received tips?  no
 
3) Brandy wears a locket on a braided chain. Are you wearing any jewelry as you answer these 9 questions?  no.  I only have jewelry on when I am going out of the house.

4) According to the lyrics, the sailors seem to prefer whisky or wine. What's your go-to adult beverage?  I don't drink, but if I were going to have a drink, I would probably choose wine or a fruity drink like a mai tai or a pina colada.  Here you go, have a drink.



5) This song was such a big hit that, after its release, Brandy became a popular name for newborn girls. Do you know anyone named Brandy?  I work with a teacher named Brandy.  Her classroom will be right next to mine this year as they are working on our building.

6) Barry Manilow scored a hit in 1974 with "Mandy." That song was initially called "Brandy," but it was changed to avoid confusion with this record. Do you have a favorite Barry Manilow song?  I am going to go with Mandy.  I had a dog named Mandy that I loved so much.  The song brings me to tears I miss her so much.  Here is a picture of Mandy.


 
7) In 1972, when this song was popularresidents of South Dakota endured a catastrophic flood when Rapid Creek overflowed. Give us a little geography lesson: what body of water is nearest you?  I talk a lot about Table Rock Lake that is in my hometown, but at my house now the closest body of water is the James River.


 
8) Also in 1972, the first women were permitted to run in the Boston marathon. Have you ever visited Boston?  no

9) Random summertime question: Would you prefer to swim in a pool, a lake/river, or the ocean?  Pool.  Even when we went to the ocean, I spent a day at the pool, but I could see the ocean.  I like to go boating on the lake and I enjoyed floating on the James River, but they have snakes and you have to be careful.  I pick pool.


15 comments:

  1. Gross old snakes. I had one swim by me once and grossed me out for good! Mandy was adorable! Is she a Corgi? I put my Sat 9 up early too. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pina coladas look delicious! I know what you mean about Mandy. My cat Reynaldo has been gone nearly a year, and I can still "see" him in all the spots around the house where he used to be naughty. As nutty as he made me, I'd do anything to have him back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wine and fuity drinks are my choices, too. Aw, Mandy...those eyes! Corgis are so darn cute! Snakes are one of the big reasons I don't like lake and river swimming. ((shudder)) It was fun to read your answers, Lori. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #4 I have been on a virgin strawberry daiquiri kick lately

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a James River too, huh. That's cool. When you said "fruity drink" I thought about that Shania Twain song where the girl takes a Louisville Slugger to both headlights of her cheating boyfriend's car! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, that's a Carrie Underwood song, "Before he cheats." Had to look it up!

      Delete
  6. Hi Lori! Your Mandy, so cute. HUGS I finally posted on my blog. Have a great weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do remember your Mandy. My parents doxie was Mandy and I think you remember my Reina.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on the pool!! Another fun Sat9 and I enjoyed your answers, Lori. Enjoy your Sunday and week ahead!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Doggie is adorable. Corgy's just have that built in "puppy magic" in their look, no matter how old they are. And, yes, they really get into your heart, don't they? If the only place to swim was a river, I would want a pool, too. I just don't trust rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boston is such a fun city to visit. I'm glad my daughter lives there (well, except I hate that she's 3000 miles away!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.