Pages

Friday, July 22, 2022

Saturday 9: Diamonds

 

Diamonds

Saturday 9: Diamonds (2012)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Rihanna sings that when she looks at her lover, she sees the light in his eyes. The internet is filled with makeup tips for making your eyes look brighter. Drugstores sell eye drops that promise to get the red out. Are you bright-eyed this morning? Yes, my eyes are great unless I am wearing the wrong eyeliner.  I do not wear make-up in the summer unless I am going to see the doctor or hairdresser.

2) She likens him to a shooting star. Astronomers tell us that shooting stars aren't that rare at all. They occur when dust, asteroids or comets enter the earth's atmosphere, and are often visible on clear, pollution-free nights. Have you ever seen a shooting star?  I have.  They are so pretty.
 
3) In ancient Rome, shooting stars were considered good luck, especially for those going into battle, while some tribes in East Africa believed shooting stars were a harbinger of doom. Are you superstitious?  no, not really.  Just when it comes to sports.  I might wear a certain shirt.  I do that more with football than baseball.

4) The singer of "Diamonds" hosted a lavish Diamond Ball to raise funds for education programs in Malawi, Senegal, and the country of her birth, Barbados. Rhianna named her charity initiative the Clara Lionel Foundation after her grandparents. If you were to name your foundation after your grandparents, what would it be called? What would you ideally like to do in their honor?  The Delores Burkett Foundation and Memorial.  It would be to fund research in Alzheimer's.  My Granie Burkett had Alzheimer's and so did my dad.
 
5) Rhianna recently had her first baby, a boy. According to the Social Security Administration, the top names for baby boys in 2021 were Liam and Noah. Is there a Liam or Noah in your life?  Not recently, but a few years ago we had some students with those names.
 
6) When she was still in her teens, Rhianna entered a beauty pageant on a dare, and won! Can you recall a time you acted on a dare?  I am sure I have, but I cannot think of anything.  Maybe I haven't. I do not act on a dare unless I want to.

7) While on tour, she likes to sneak out into the audience, just to get the vibe from out there. To disguise herself, Rhianna slips on a black oversized hoodie. Are hoodies a staple of your wardrobe?  no, the hood drives me crazy.  I like a regular sweatshirt no hood.
  
8) In 2012, the year this song topped the charts, London hosted the Olympic Games. If you won a trip to London, what would you like to see?  If I got to go to London, I would be a total tourist and see as much as I could.  I would be excited to try the food also and do some shopping.  
 
9) Random question: Did either or both your parents go to college?  My dad went to college to be a teacher and my mom went to business school.


8 comments:

  1. #7: You and me both! I'm finding plain old sweatshirts are getting harder to find. It's become a quest whenever I'm on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all for your foundation! You know Alzheimer's and dementia are near and dear to my heart. Such a cruel fate. I hope we can one day do away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great foundation to found! I am not a hoodie fan, either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll support your foundation too...if dementia hasn't taken me away by then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your foundation is wonderful. And I can go either way with hoodies, I rarely wear the hood so there's no real point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect foundation. Cool that you followed in your Dad's footsteps to become a teacher !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like hoods either. Loved your answers, Lori, and your foundation is wonderful. Enjoy your Sunday!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree on the "nix" on hoodies but, like you, I like sweats. And, a special shirt for the home team is perfect. Hope you've had a restful and refreshing weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.