Saturday 9: The Best (1991)
In memory of Tina Turner, who died on May 24.
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Tina Turner sings that she can think of no better place to be than her lover's arms. Since we're entering summer vacation season, let's switch it to: What's the best place you've ever traveled to? My favorite vacation was to Orange Beach, Alabama. We had an ocean view and would watch the dolphins jumping in the water every morning. We would hang out at the beach and relax. I was able to take Josh to a light house...which he loved light houses at the time. We also went on a dolphin tour, which was so cool. Just a very memorable vacation. This picture was top of the Pensacola lighthouse.
2) Songwriters Holly Knight and Desmond Child originally offered this song to English pop singer Paul Young. He declined it. Can you think of a time when you said "no" when "yes" might have been a better answer? Nothing is coming to mind. I say no a lot. I really do not have any regrets about that. I know myself. I will leave it at that.
3) Tina Turner was born in Nutbush, TN. In 1973 she recorded a song about it called "Nutbush City Limits." Is there a song about your hometown? no
4) It was at Nutbush's Spring Hill Baptist Church that very young Tina began singing with the choir. She credited those early performances with giving her confidence in front of a crowd. Are you comfortable with public speaking? not at all. I am comfortable with talking in front of my students, but not peers. I have to do it though.
5) When she was a teen, her mom relocated the family to St. Louis. It was here that Tina played on the high school basketball team. Can you make a free throw? probably not.
6) Tina met her second husband, Erwin Bach, at the airport. A record exec, Erwin went to Heathrow to meet her flight and help her prepare for her London appearances. The last time you were at the airport, were you a traveler or were you meeting or dropping someone off? dropping someone off.
7) In 1991, the year this record was released, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury died. What's your favorite Queen song? I LOVE Queen. I can't answer this. I love so many of their songs.
8) Also in 1991, Disney's Beauty and the Beast became the first animated movie to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. What's your favorite Disney movie? Beauty and the Beast. I just really love the story.
9) Random question: What's your perfect day, weatherwise? sunny and low 70's or 60's and low humidity.