Pages

Friday, November 24, 2023

Saturday 9: Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress) 1972

 



Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)

Saturday 9: Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress) 1972

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song begins with Hollies' lead singer Allan Clarke telling us of a Saturday night trip downtown, taken at the behest of the FBI. What are your plans for Saturday night? (No, we don't expect you to tell us you'll be working undercover for a government agency.) Probably watching Hallmark Christmas movies and drinking hot chocolate.

2) At a bar, he meets a woman in a black dress. The LBD, or little black dress, is a wardrobe staple for many women because it's appropriate for almost any occasion. Let's say you get a last-minute invitation for a "dressy" dinner this weekend and you don't have the time or money to buy something new. What's your go-to outfit from your closet?  I do not have any dresses anymore.  I really need to buy one just to have, but if we were going out, I would wear some nice slacks and one of my kimono caridgans.  

3) Everyone at the bar starts to run when they hear sirens. Do you often hear sirens in your neighborhood?  not often, but sometimes.  I live in a small town, so not a lot of people.

4) In 1972, the year this week's song was on the charts, Popeye's opened their first fast-food chicken restaurant in Louisiana. Now that the Thanksgiving feast is over, will you be eating any carry-out this weekend?  Probably, we are usually either out of leftovers by then or sick of them.  I sent a lot of food home with my mom, so hopefully we are finished with the leftovers by the weekend.

5) Black is this week's signature color because November 24 was Black Friday, when retailers historically have slashed their prices and the holiday shopping season begins. Have you begun your gift shopping?  Yes, I have gifts for my co-workers and I am Secret Santa to a person at work also.  I am working on her gifts also.  I also started my mom's gift shopping.  I am still waiting for Josh's list.

6) Walmart, Best Buy and Target all advertise heavily on Black Friday. If you could have a $100 gift card from one of those stores, which would you choose? What would you buy?  Walmart for groceries.  I do not mind buying gifts, but the price of food annoys me.

7) This Monday is sometimes known as Cyber Monday because shoppers can find big savings online. Do you shop confidently online, or do you worry about security breaches and identity theft?  I shop confidently. 

8) What are you thankful for this year?  I am thankful that my mom is doing ok.  Today is her birthday and she is turning 80.  

9) Random question: Who was the last person you spoke to on the phone (texting doesn't count)?  Karl (my husband).



9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your mom! I am enjoying the Hallmark movies and a few Christmas ones I found on YouTube. I prefer to wear pants too, but once in a while I like to wear a dress. I would wear boots if it was really cold. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your mom! I know Josh is a classic movie fan, so here's a website for you: https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/landing-page/turner-classic-movies/
    It's TCM's book store. You might find something ideal for him there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your Mom! 80 is the new 60, I think. I am headed into that direction and it looks younger all the time! LOL. I hope you have a blessed weekend and enjoy the upcoming Advent season. We still have leftovers in the fridge, but I am thinking I can't eat another bite of them. I wish I knew someone who would like to have them before I have to dump them. some things just can't be saved...and my tummy is saying "No MOre!" We are having hamburgers tonight for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok first I like that song, next I don't own a long black dress or a short black dress but my daughter does. I don't wear dresses very often.

    We hear sirens often as we live near a busy road, haven't had leftovers in years as a child they were common place at least once or twice a week.

    The last person I spoke to on the phone was my daughter Kathy, we speak on the phone every second day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your mom! We did go see the Christmas lights, but now I'm sitting here watching Hallmark movies, too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1 Many of the Hallmark movies are made her ein Connecticut.
    #5 We are doing a Yankee Swap.
    #8 My brother just turned 80.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your mom! Food prices are annoying, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Food prices are definitely annoying lately!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.