Pages

Friday, November 3, 2023

Saturday 9: True



Saturday 9: True (1983)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, lead singer Gary Kemp tells us he's overwhelmed by his feelings as he and a girl dance "toe to toe." What song did you most recently dance to?  It was a song at school.  We do music and movement every morning when the kids come in.  We sing a good morning song and then sing some fun songs which includes dancing.

2) Falling in love makes him want to listen to "Marvin all night long," a reference to Motown great Marvin Gaye. What's your favorite love song, and who sings it?  Love songs are not my favorite, I like fast fun songs...but I will say "I Will Always Love You"...the Dolly Parton version.

3) This song was inspired by Kemp's feelings for singer Clare Grogan. When they first met, they discovered a shared love of literature and for his birthday, she gave him a book she thought he'd enjoy. Who received the most recent birthday gift you gave, and what was it?  My son Josh.  He asked for some books.

4) Despite the popularity of the song it inspired, the Kemp-Grogan romance never really took off. Gary was involved with another woman and Clare was seeing other men and reluctant to settle down. The timing just wasn't right for them. Do you believe luck plays a big part in romance?  Maybe... I haven't really thought about it.  It does depend on who you meet and run around with.  I suppose you are lucky if you meet a good person.  Some people do not.

5) The cover art was created by Kemp's friend, David Band. David sketched it after seeing a man startled when a bird flew too close to him as he entered a pub. To Kemp, it represented how surprised he was by the sudden intensity of his feelings for Grogan. Band went on to become a world-renowned artist, with his work exhibited in galleries and museums in Australia, New Zealand, England and the United States. What museum have you most recently visited?  The St. Louis Art Museum back in the summer.  We went to the History Museum the same day.

6) In 2020, Kemp and bassist Guy Pratt launched their podcast Rockonteurs about the stories behind popular songs. Do you regularly listen to podcasts?  no, I used to listen to a true crime podcast (Bailey Sarian), she also does a dark history podcast that I really enjoyed, but I haven't listened in a long time.

7) Super Mario Bros. debuted in 1983. Without looking it up, can you name gaming's most famous siblings?  I don't play video games, but isn't one of them Luigi?  The little kids dress up as them.
 
8) Also in 1983, for the first time, London's Abbey Road recording studio was open to the public. Visitors were treated to a multi-media presentation called The Beatles at Abbey Road. During the two months it was open, more than 22,000 tickets were sold. What's the most recent ticket you purchased?  Probably a movie ticket.  We haven't been to a ball game in a little while.

 9) Random question -- At your favorite restaurant, a genie will grant you one of these two wishes: 1) you can eat whatever you want without gaining weight or 2) you can order whatever you want for free. Which do you choose?  I think since it is just one meal, I will go with getting it for free.  

I can't wait to catch up with you all.  I posted about why I have been missing about two posts down if you are interested.  I got moved into my new classroom and my mom was sick again. 






11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed imagining your answer to #1.
    #4 -- Exactly! For example: what if you happened to be on vacation the night of the party when you were introduced to your true love and you two never met? Would you be just as happy with someone else? So much of life seems determined by chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people forget that Dolly Parton actually wrote that song. I like her version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 Good song and Dolly has a great version of it.
    #6 I’m looking for podcasts like the old time radio detective shows from the 30s and 40s.
    #8 The last ticket I bought was for a fund raiser banquet where you get a rubber chicken for $100!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lori, glad you are back! Music time with kids is so good for them. I remember when I taught Sunday School. The kids loved the songs that they could move with like Father Abraham and Deep and Wide. You mentioned art museum and it made me remember that we went to a wedding last Christmas at an art museum in San Diego. Glad to hear your mom is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music and books are important in life, well they are for me, I haven't danced in years and there are many songs that I like can't pick just one.
    I give my siblings 3 of which have their birthdays in October grog, the last being my brother Dave who's birthday is 31 October and he got a bottle of Jack Daniels,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read the last one as just one meal, I read it as a wish for forever! One meal makes me rethink my answer. It is great to see you back on Saturday 9!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good to see you back, Lori. I enjoyed your answers!! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're back, Lori. I've missed "seeing" you online. I hope all is well again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wouldnt it be nice if it was life long free meals? Glad you are around!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.