Pages

Friday, November 12, 2021

Saturday 9- Without You

 



Without You

 Without You (1972)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.


1) Nilsson sings that he can't forget this evening. Did anything happen this evening (or last night, if you're answering during the day) that you expect you'll recall for a long time?  I did some teacher observations today of other grade levels, so I hope I remember some things.  I took notes, so I think I will.

2) In the 1960s, he worked in a very "un-rock-star" job: computer programmer in a bank. Looking over your career, have you more often worked in or out of an office setting?  I am going to say out.  I do not really feel like my classroom is an office and none of my other jobs involved an office.
 
3) He fibbed to get the job, telling the bank he'd graduated from high school when in reality, he was a drop out. Have you ever fudged a fact on your resume?  no, I just feel like that is dishonest.  I have some good skills to share on my resume that are actual skills.

4) The bank found out the truth but was so pleased with Nilsson's personality and performance they kept him on. Tell us about a friend or loved one's misbehavior that you have overlooked.  I am not sure.

5) Before finding success as a singer, Nilsson was a songwriter. He composed "Cuddly Toy," recorded by the Monkees. Do you have a favorite Monkees song? I'm A Believer.
   
 
6) In 1976 Nilsson married Una O'Keeffe. They met in a New York restaurant, where she was a waitress. He asked her about her accent -- she was from Dublin -- and a romance ensued. While the waitress and the rock star seemed like an unlikely couple, they remained together until his death in 1994 and had six children. Do you know how your parents (or grandparents) met?  My Papa had a milk route and met my Granie while delivering milk.  My mom and dad went to school together.
 
7) Nilsson was a night owl and found he felt most creative late at night, right before he fell asleep. When are you at your best: morning, noon or night?  When I am working, I am best in the morning.  When I can be at home...like in the summer...I do a lot late at night. 

8) In 1972, the year "Without You" was a hit, Alice Clark Browne made history as the first African American 
aerialist to perform with Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey Circus. Did you ever attend the circus?  Oh yes, I have been several times.
 
9) Random question -- Think about last week. Would you prefer this week to be more exciting, or more boring?  More boring.  We had some crazy weather and the kids were acting wild.  I have a really good class and even my kids were being wild.  Let me just say one event was one student de-pantsing another student right in the classroom.  I was out of the room, but there were other events too this past week.  



10 comments:

  1. I think boring is preferable to drama filled weeks. Sometimes there is just too much going on. I used to love the Monkees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #9 -- Wow! That sounds intense. I hope you have a calmer week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a real milkman meeting story! That is so cool. Hope you have a calmer week - I know when my husband was a firefighter/EMT he said there were phases that people all seemed to have at the same time. Maybe it's the moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the moon causes people to lose their minds.

      Delete
  4. Oh boy, those kids! I know how that can be. I think CountryDew's husband is on to something. The dementia residents at the nursing home definitely flipped their collective gourds for a few days surrounding the full moon. My thinking has always been that if the moon has enough tug to influence the ocean tides, then why wouldn't it affect us when we're made up of a huge percentage of water? I hope you're having a nice dull weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely believe that of the full moon, but it isn't full..with my job, I actually have an app for the moon. I think it was the weather this past week. We had fronts moving through. I am having a nice dull weekend.

      Delete
  5. My students were restless, too, this week. The change of time, of season and almost the end of the raking term. I hope we both have calm, boring weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had the kind of excitement we all could do without. I hope you have a better week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My other comment may show up and if not I’ll check back to see. #8 definitely sounds like a full moon thing but as everyone pointed out the moon isn’t full!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.