Pages

Friday, January 14, 2022

Saturday 9: Bobby's Girl

 



Bobby's Girl

Saturday 9: Bobby's Girl (1962)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Marcie Blane confesses she sits at home, hoping Bobby will call her. Do you owe anyone a phone call or email?  no, I get right back to people if I miss their calls or emails.

2) We know Marcie wants to be Bobby's Girl. Let's play the Google Game and find out what you want. Go to your favorite search engine, keystroke your name and "wants," and then search. (For example: "Samantha wants" led us to a math problem that begins: "Samantha wants to purchase a new dress ... " Crazy Sam was tempted to read on because her wardrobe could use sprucing up.) What does Google tell us you want?  Lori wants to distribute 35 peaches (also a math question).

3) This hit record was an accident. Marcie Blaine had just graduated from high school and had a few days before she had to take off for her summer job as a camp counselor. A friend asked her to record a couple songs he'd written, just so he could play them for record labels and song publishers. Her friend was hoping somehow an established star would hear the songs, record them and make one of them a hit. Instead, a producer at Seville Records said he wanted not just the songs but especially the unknown girl who was singing them, and Marcie became a recording artist. Tell us about a favor you're very glad you did for a friend.  I just wrote a letter of recommendation for a friend.  I really hope it helps her get a new job.

4) By the time summer was over, and Marcie's gig as a counselor was done, she was #3 on the charts. Her record stayed in the "Hot 100" for 19 weeks and, for the second half of 1962, she was the top-selling female singer in the US. What female singer do you listen to most often?  I don't listen to specific singers.  I usually just listen to what is on the radio.  My son would be able to answer this question.

5) After "Bobby's Girl" took off, she recorded it in German for the European market. Only she didn't speak German, so she sang it phonetically. Can you sing any songs in a language other than English?  I can sing a few Christmas carols in French, our French class in high school sang Christmas carols in French in high school in the halls.  I have also sung Latin in choir.  I have probably sung things in other languages also being in several choirs in my life.  I just can't remember.

6) Seville rushed Marcie into the studio to make more records. None of them charted higher than #68, and Marcie wasn't having fun. After a year of being a rock 'n roller, she enrolled at Queens College in New York City. What's the most recent class you took?  I am currently doing a professional development course for my job called Leters.  It is how to teach reading to kids, and it is the equivalent of a master's class.  I will be paid for having taken it once I am finished at the end of the school year.


7) In 1962, when this song was popular, the most popular baby names were Michael and Lisa. Are there any Michaels or Lisas in your life?  There is a Michael in the Kindergarten class next door to me.

8) Also in 1962, Marlene White, the first African American flight attendant for a major US airline, appeared on the cover of Jet magazine. What's the last magazine you flipped through? Was it in print or online?  I have magazines in my classroom I have on my bookshelf for kids to look at or even cut up at the art center.  It would be those that I have flipped through.

9) Random Question: After enjoying a long, relaxing weekend, do you find yourself more or less productive on Monday morning?  I work at a school that has a 4-day school week, so Monday I am not very productive, but on Tuesday, I am very productive, and I stay that way the rest of the week.  I have a lot to fit in in 4 days.



13 comments:

  1. Interesting that your school only has 4 days. but nice for you to have Fridays off! Wow! I know you are a great teacher and your kiddos must really love having you for their teacher. That course you are taking/just took sounds very interesting and challenging, and how nice you will be paid for taking it!! Does it count towards a Masters' Degree? I know teachers have to keep taking courses to maintain their certification, etc., but it's good to learn new methods and keep up with current ideas. Blessings to you today. Have a wonderful, peaceful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am off on some Mondays, Monday is used for professional development, so we are in meetings on Monday and sometimes we are off.
      It does count toward a master's degree.

      Delete
  2. #4 I agree, it is what's on the radio.
    #9 A Facebook "friend" who is a teacher said about doing a Zoom professional development class remotely made her aware of how her students feel about remote learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are back to in person everything...at least we are right now. Many schools are shutting down because of covid here...just for a week or so. We never had to shut down last year. Zoom meetings are awful.

      Delete
  3. #1 -- You're so much better than I am! I have a letter from my Cousin Rose in the center of my dining room table to remind me to respond to it (she began with HAPPY NEW YEAR in red ink). You inspire me and today will be the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet the kids love the art center! Very cool. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious about your 4-day week. What happens the 5th day--is everybody off or do teachers do PD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is used for PD, but we only do PD every other week. That way we can get better and more useful PD. My PD takes all day and it lasts all year. I also have to work on it at home on our days off on Monday's. Our daycare part is open for the littles and we have Boys and Girls club for the older kids so parents have someone to watch their kids on Monday. Many schools are doing that here. That way teachers aren't having to take off as much for doctor visits, kids have better attendance. Save money on bus transportation and the big thing was to lure the best teachers to the district. The kids give their all too. We are required to do so many hours instead of days, so we go maybe a week longer at the end of the school year, but it works out and is nice.

      Delete
  6. Four days of school? I would have loved that schedule

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. Last year we have a lot of snow days to make up and had to go 5 days a few weeks and that was hard. I got so tired. Funny how we got used to 4 days so quick. Last year was our first year for a four day school week.

      Delete
  7. Your school/job sounds so great, Lori! I am so glad you were able to get back to the school you love so much! How nice to be able to work on your Master's Degree, too! Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting about your 4-day school and the options for parents (I read your response to other comments). Sounds like something other school systems could take note of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please send me some peaches?
    Fingers crossed for your friend whom you have helped with a letter. We all need help in a world that seems too full of everything but employment, even if people are quitting and going trekking before their knees give out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.