Pages

Friday, July 26, 2024

Saturday 9: Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)

 



Saturday 9: Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You) 1969

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Liza Minnelli acknowledges that she may be "taking a terrible chance." Have you done anything risky lately?  Not that I can think of.

2) In 1969, when Liza recorded this song, she was 23 and her career was really beginning to take off. She was a sought-after guest on TV talk and variety shows and received her first Oscar nomination. Give us a quick overview of your life at 23.  I had moved to the city (Kansas City).  I always wanted to live in the big city when I was a kid.  I did love it there, but it was too expensive for me to live alone (I was single), so I moved to Springfield, MO...medium city.   I am glad I was able to do that because now I am totally happy in the country and I do not have to think "what if".  I worked with the mentally handicapped in a group home setting.  I loved it.  I stopped working with the mentally handicapped when I got married...I wanted to work daytime hours.  That is how I started working in schools and later went back to school for my education hours.

3) Also in 1969, the first Gap store was opened in San Francisco. What have you recently added to your wardrobe? If yes, where did you buy it?  I ordered some clothes for school and home too from Bloom Chic.

4) Liza says she always has apple juice in her refrigerator. What's something you're certain to have in your frig?  Pepsi and water.

5) Liza's favorite card game is poker. What's yours? Poker, maybe I should say Uno..I haven't played Poker since college.

6) Though Liza recorded the song in 1969, "Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)" was written way back in 1931. It has been recorded more than 50 times by artists as diverse as Bing Crosby, Andy Gibb and Bob Dylan. Before today, had you heard it?  no, but I can guarantee you Josh has and it is probably a favorite.  Please say a little prayer or send good thoughts for him if you would.  He LOVES Sandy Posey and she passed away early this week from complications of Alzheimer's and he has taken it kind of hard.  He watched my dad go through that too, it is rough.  He didn't know Sandy was sick until last week...he is friends on facebook with her husband Wade and that is how he found out.  He shared his love for her music with Wade over the years and Wade shared with Sandy.  

7) "Nevertheless (I'm in Love with You)" is credited to Bert Kalmer and his partner, Harry Ruby. Another one of their hits was "Who's Sorry Now?" Do you owe anyone an apology?  I hope not.  I have been home a lot this week.

8) Together they also wrote "Hooray for Captain Spaulding," sung onscreen by Groucho Marx in the movie Animal Crackers. There were five Marx Brothers in all. How many can you name?  none

9) Random question: Do you believe talking to plants helps them grow?  I believe that!  



11 comments:

  1. #8: Oh, come on! I gave you one (Groucho) in the question! PS Your son sounds like such a kind, generous soul. I'll be thinking of him. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry Joshua is feeling sad. I will say a prayer for him. I lost my mom from Alzheimer's. Nice that you ordered clothes for work. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Josh weathers his grief ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers lifted for your Josh and for the Posey family. I enjoyed your answers, Lori. Wishing you a good weekend as you get ready to get back to school soon. Only two more weeks, here. Gosh, it goes fast. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll sure be sending positivity to Josh. When do you head back to school? I start on August 12 with workshops and August 15 with students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am mentoring this year, so I have 1st year meetings with my mentee Aug. 8th Then teacher meetings the week of the 12th like you and our kids start on the 20th. I thought you guys usually started way after us. It is almost here!

      Delete
  6. Great answers. I hope you have a lovely weekend. I hope you have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thoughts for Josh. I like Bloom Chic too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you a beautiful Sunday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I'll be saying a prayer for Josh. I'd never heard of Sandy Posey and had to go look her up. I forgot I had ordered a cute jumper from BloomChic. I have to get my mom to shorten the straps on it. They are way too long. Other than that I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed your answer regarding being 23. You certainly had an eventful year. I love how you poured your work into helping others. That was quite something moving around on your own as a young woman. I am proud of your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.