Saturday 9: Broken-Hearted Girl (2009)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) In this song, Beyonce admits her feelings for a man she doesn't want to love. Do you believe we can choose who we love? Or does the heart go its own way? Maybe a little bit of both.
2) In the video for this song, Beyonce plays with a red rose. Florists report that the most popular colors of roses are: red, white or ivory, yellow, pink, peach or orange, and lavender or purple. Do you have a favorite? I love them all. Karl gets me red roses.
3) The video was filmed in Malibu. Southern California is a popular vacation destination. Have you ever visited there? Have you ever lived there? no and no
4) When Beyonce was just 12, she appeared on the show Star Search as part of a vocal group called Girls Tyme. The girls lost, but Beyonce said the experience taught her that she wanted to be a performer for the rest of her life. Share a memory from your own junior high years. I don't remember a lot from junior high, but I do remember singing in choir and loving that. I also think more sleepovers started for me at that time.
5) As a girl, she helped her hairstylist mom by sweeping hair at the salon. Do you have a hair appointment coming up? I have one over my Christmas Break. It is December 21st for a cut and color.
6) In 2009, when this song was popular, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg unsuccessfully tried to buy Twitter. Elon Musk acquired Twitter last month. What social media sites do you spend the most time on? Facebook
7) Also in 2009, Sony sold floppy disks at most retailers. But things change fast in the world of tech and by 2011, Sony quit producing floppy disks altogether. Floppies were replaced by flash drives, which have been replaced by cloud storage services ... Do you still have any floppy disks? no
8) In 2009, Michael Jackson died. Do you have a favorite Michael Jackson song? Several songs from the Thriller album...speaking of junior high memories...listening to Michael Jackson is in those memories and also AT40.
9) Random question -- We're having a Saturday 9 potluck lunch! What will you bring? I think I would make my lasagne or cheesy burritos.