Pages

Friday, December 9, 2022

Saturday 9: Just Because


 

Just Because

 
Saturday 9: Just Because (1956)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, Elvis complains that his girl has confused him with Santa Claus. This time of year, Santa is prominent. Did you more recently hear Santa referred to in a song, see him in a holiday decoration or ad, watch him in a film or TV show, or maybe even met him in person, ringing a bell or asking kids if they have been naughty or nice?  I played a Santa song for the kids at school today (filling this out on Thursday).  We have Santa and Mrs. Calus coming to visit next week too.

2) Finally Elvis just can't take it anymore and breaks up with her, just because. Is there anyone in your life who has a way of pressing your buttons and getting on your nerves?  Sometimes...not all of the time anymore...Karl's family can get on my nerves.

3) "Just Because" is one of the last songs Elvis recorded at Sun Studio in Memphis. TripAdvisor recommends a Sun Studio tour as one of the top things to do in Memphis. Have you ever been to Memphis? If yes, what did you do?  I have only driven through Memphis on our way to Orange Beach, AL.  Josh wants to go to Memphis though and do that Sun Studio tour.

4) Elvis left Sun for RCA, a much bigger record label. As part of the deal, RCA negotiated for the rights to all his unreleased Sun songs. "Just Because" is one of them, and it was included on Elvis' first RCA album. Have you gotten a good deal on anything lately?  We are doing Secret Santa at school and I was able to get my co-workers some fuzzy socks for less than $2 a pair from Kohl's.  I also bought some Yoga pants from Kohl's for myself and some new shoes for half off.  I got all of these things during Black Friday.  I got more than fuzzy socks for my co-workers, they are also getting Bath and Body goodies and candles.

5) In 1956, when "Just Because" was released, non-stick cookware was first introduced. Do you have any Teflon in your kitchen right now?  We are trying to replace all of the teflon.  We had heard it was really bad for you and it gets in your food and then into your body.  They say it is safe now...but who knows.  We probably do have some in the kitchen somewhere though.

6) Elvis thought peacocks were beautiful and commissioned stained glass peacock panels for his living room. Do you have any stained glass in your home?  no, but I wish I did.  I love stained glass.

7) He tried to keep peacocks at Graceland. One of the birds saw its reflection in Elvis' gold Cadillac and started pecking, ruining the car's expensive paint job. Elvis donated the peacocks to the Memphis Zoo. Have you ever had a bird as a pet?  I have!  I had a parakeet when I was in middle and high school.  He was blue and gray and talked.  His name was Pretty Boy (my mom named him).

8) Elvis decorated the long Graceland driveway for the holidays with blue lights. His father teased that with the airport nearby, pilots might confuse their driveway with a runway. What airport is nearest your home?  We have Springfield Regional Airport and Springfield/Branson airport near us.  They are both small, so not noisy here.  They are both about 30 minutes away.

9) When Elvis was alive, he kept the holiday lights up until January 9, the day after his birthday. That tradition continues at Graceland today. Conventional etiquette tells us Christmas decorations should go up the day after Thanksgiving and come down before January 6 (the 12th day of Christmas). Do you think it's ever too early, or too late, for Christmas decorations?  We always did the day after Thanksgiving and down on January 1st when I was a kid.  Now, Karl and I do decorations outside on Veteran's Day because he is off that day.  We do the inside the day after Thanksgiving usually, but this year we were able to decorate on Thanksgiving Day.  I love Christmas decorations, so I do not think it is ever too early.



10 comments:

  1. I'm very glad that Walt's family never gets on my nerves. I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husbands family gets on my nerves, LOLOL. Sorry, but that makes me laugh (or laughed when I read yours, grin). ANYWAYS, the Ocala airport is not from here and we have small local airport named Shady Road down the road from us, it's a grass runway, pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Josh would LOVE Graceland, too. They have many of Elvis' movie scripts and props on display. PS Be good to my catcher, will ya? You guys are so lucky to have Willie! He's truly terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband's family doesn't get on my nerves so much any more, but I have to admit it's more because none of them live nearby than anything else. Another talking parakeet! I never could get any of ours to say a word. I hope Josh gets to Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 My father was Santa Claus for the Kiwanis Christmas tree lot in town every year.
    #7 I also had a parakeet, it ended sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I misread Mrs. Claus for Mrs. Calculus and was wondering what was up! LOL. My husband's family used to make Christmas for me, as mine is just troublesome, but that is not the case any longer. Families are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gonna have to look into the Teflon thing. I had never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. and Mrs. Claus sounds like a fun event. the kids are going to love it!
    Only a few of my relatives could do that at first, get on my nerves, I mean. I just learned to ignore that part of the family's antics and attitudes, and keep my "buddha-mind" close.. lol
    As a very young girl, I had a little blue parakeet named, of course, Tweety. I think parakeets have all the charm in the parrot family. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe's family is my family and I am so blessed that they love me and stay in touch. I like birds as pets but couldn't have one here with cats in the house! Lori, I enjoyed reading your answers!! Have a blessed week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be fun to see the kids reactions to Santa! My late father in law drove me crazy. But I tolerated it for the sake of peace. I got some good deals today at Kohls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.