Pages

Friday, December 16, 2022

Saturday 9: The Christmas Song

 



The Christmas Song

Saturday 9: The Christmas Song (1964)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) While this song was published as "The Christmas Song," many people refer to it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire." Have you ever roasted chestnuts (in an open fire or in the oven)?  No, I am not sure I have ever eaten them at all.

2) Ricky Nelson sings that turkey helps make the season bright. Many of us just had turkey last month for Thanksgiving. Do you enjoy turkey all year around? Or do you consider it a seasonal dish?  We have eaten turkey during the year, but it isn't quite the same as at Thanksgiving.  I do eat turkey sandwiches though during the year.  We usually have ham at Christmas.  I think we are doing something different this year, still not sure what.

3) He wishes "Merry Christmas" to kids from 1 to 92. Who is the youngest person you will celebrate the holidays with? Who is the oldest?  My Great Niece, she is about 6 years old and my mom is oldest at 79.
 
4) "The Christmas Song" is a perennial favorite and gets lots of play this time of year. Is there a holiday song that you think is overplayed, and that you hope to not hear again (at least not until December 2023)?  I am over All I Want for Christmas is you.

5) This version of the song is from The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, the sitcom that ran from 1952 to 1966. There were 435 episodes in all. Is there a series whose every episode you've seen?  Friends and ER and probably a few on now...only because it doesn't seem like many shows stay on very long anymore.
 
6) Life magazine coined the phrase "teen idol" to describe Ricky's popularity. In your younger days, did you have a crush on a teen idol?  Michael J. Fox and Keifer Sutherland...I don't know if they were teen idols or not, but they were my teen crushes.
 
7) Do you have a funny/ugly holiday sweater?  no, I need to get one though.
 
8) Have you received many holiday cards this year? Did you send many?  not very many, just from people at work.  I actually did not send any out this year.  I thought I had bought some last year and it was two years ago, so by the time I went to get them and saw I was almost out, it was a little late.  I will try again next year.  I will go order some soon.

9) If you were Santa, what cookie would you like kids to leave for you on Christmas Eve?  Sugar cookies with frosting


9 comments:

  1. I like ham, but hubby can't eat pork. I love turkey sandwiches. I need to take out the leftover turkey that is frozen and make some turkey noodle soup. My family love soups. Cute siggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael J. Fox certainly was a teen idol! I remember seeing an interview where he talked about seeing his face on those magazine covers and even a lunch box. He felt like a star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved both Michael J. Fox and Keifer Sutherland--Keifer was such a bad boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar cookies with frosting! Yum. I think Michael J. Fox qualifies for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lot of people are tired of that song. Frosted Sugar Cookies...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all seem to be over that song. I wonder why of all the songs they seem to think everyone wants to hear that one every five minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually have ham for Christmas but since I still have my Thanksgiving turkey in the freezer (thanks to covid) we will be having turkey this year. I enjoyed your post, Lori!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. #2 After Thanksgiving and Christmas I like to make turkey sandwiches.
    #6 I knew the person who took care of all of Michael J. Fox properties in Sharon CT

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.