Pages

Friday, April 7, 2023

Saturday 9: Easter Parade



Saturday 9: Easter Parade

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is best known from the 1948 movie of the same name, but it was originally written for a 1933 Broadway play called As Thousands Cheer. In the play, a young man reads about the parade in a New York  newspaper and decides to go and show his lady love off to parade goers. What's the most recent parade you attended?  It was the Christmas parade at the town I live in.  It goes right by my house.

2) On Broadway, the song was performed by Clifton Webb. He'd had a busy stage career, appearing in musicals as well as plays by Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward, but when he was in his mid-50s, he was considered too old to be a leading man. Broadway offers stopped coming. He was unexpectedly cast by Otto Preminger for the film noir Laura and a new career was born. He worked steadily in Hollywood for 20 years and earned three Oscar nominations. Tell us about a time you were grateful your life took an unanticipated turn.  I have told this story, but the time my old job wanted me to travel to a different school to teach at.  I ended up quitting.  I was not expecting that at the end of the year.  The best thing was that I changed jobs and I am so much happier.

3) Today he's fondly remembered by the students at UCLA who have benefited from The Clifton Webb Scholarship of the Arts. If you could give an endowment to a school or charity, what would you like it to be used for?  Ok, so we are currently under construction at work updating our school and adding new classrooms.  If I were to give an endowment, it would be to fund some pre-K classrooms so parents would not have to pay for preschool.  That way more kids would able to attend preschool and be ready for kindergarten.  I would also add some funding for half day options so parents could have the option to send their kids full or half day.
 

4) According to Forbes magazine, the average American household will spend upwards of $150 on Easter dinner, candy, and decorations this weekend. Do holidays strain your budget?  not really.  We do not go crazy.

5) The biggest chocolate Easter egg was made in Italy, measured 34 feet tall and weighed a staggering 15,000 lbs. Do you think it's possible to have too much chocolate?  Oh yes!  I love chocolate and have to be careful, or I will make myself sick.
  
6) After chocolate, the top-selling Easter candy is Peeps Marshmallow Chicks. They're so popular that they were once the subject of a Jeopardy clue. Do you often watch Jeopardy no

7) Jelly beans are also popular this time of year. In a 2020 poll, jelly bean fans responded that cinnamon is their favorite flavor. Do you have a favorite?  I do not think I have a favorite.  I love Jelly Bellies and I enjoy most of the flavors including cinnamon.
 
8) We've been talking a lot about sweets this morning. The only holiday that generates more candy sales is Halloween. When do you eat more candy: Easter or Halloween?  Halloween

 9) Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What makes you feel refreshed or rejuvenated?  a nice long shower and a good night's sleep.


10 comments:

  1. I avoid chewy gummy candies because I'm in the midst of dental work, but if I could have them, I'd go with cinnamon. I imagine cinnamon jelly beans would be like Hot Tamales or Red Hots, and I love how those candies smell.

    I love showers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same answer as you for #9. Hard to beat those two for making you feel better. A parade right by your house! That is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around here we’ve started to offer pre k in the public schools. It’s not available to everyone yet, but it’s a start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1 If we had a Christmas parade it probably be with dog sleds.
    #3 In our town we have a town school pre-K class program at one of the elementary schools.
    #9 It seems like a lot Saturday 9ers love hot showers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have Christmas parades in town too, and t here are usually more people IN them than watch them. We haven't gone to any since our kids grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to a good night's sleep!! I included that in my answer, too! Wishing you and your family a blessed Easter!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pre-school funding would be such a great thing, Lori! I don't know if you have Head Start there, but my granddaughter is in it this year and it has become such a joke. They haven't even had teachers in their classroom this year, only aides. They are cancelled quite often because an aide is off and they don't have the staff. I guess the state or whoever funds it has made deep cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your answer for #3--what an important opportunity for kids and parents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a parade right by your house? And it's always good to find that when you change jobs, you like it better! I'm a fan of pre-school because it is a terrific head start for ALL the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.