Pages

Friday, April 28, 2023

Saturday 9: Promises, Promises


Promises, Promises

Saturday 9: Promises, Promises (1983)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this week's song, Naked Eyes lead singer Pete Byrne admits he believed his girl's promises, right from the start, but now he knows he should have been more careful with his heart. Do you consider yourself more trusting or skeptical?  Skeptical
 
2) He looks back on when he and his girl laughed like kids. When did you recently literally laugh out loud (opposed to keystroking LOL)?  I laugh out loud every day at school.  Yesterday at naptime a boy was making weird faces with his eyes closed like he was sleeping.  Today at naptime a girl was acting like she was a dog dreaming...you know how their little feet run...yep, she was doing that with her arms and legs.
 
3) He accuses her of not being able to finish what she starts. How about you? Do you finish what you start, or can you think of projects that you're unlikely to ever complete?  I mostly finish everything I start.

 
4) Naked Eyes was a British New Wave band who had four Top 40 singles, including "Promises, Promises." They never toured 40 years ago because it was difficult to recreate their synthesizer-driven sound onstage. Is there a band or singer you would have liked to have seen perform live, but never did?  Not really.  I am not a huge concert person.
 
5) While "Promises, Promises" is about an untrustworthy lover, Peter Byrne says he and bandmate/cowriter Rob Fisher worked well together because they knew they could trust one another professionally. By sharing honest assessments of creative ideas, they knew Naked Eyes would never put out "rubbish." If you want an honest opinion on something important, where do you turn?  I trust myself, but if I am really struggling with something at work, I will ask my Principal or our curriculum coach.  If it is something small my assistant will talk it out with me.

6) Madonna was a Naked Eyes fan. Are you a Madonna fan?  I was when she was popular.  I have groups that I will always love, I like Madonna, but not like a favorite.

7) In 1983, when this song was on the radio, the Lotus 1-2-3 program made it easier for PC users to build spreadsheets. Are you answering these questions on a PC or a Mac? Laptop or desktop? Android or iPhone? Laptop
 
8) Also in 1983, America West Airlines took off for the first time, taking passengers from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Where did you go on your first flight? What about your most recent flight?  I have never flown.

9) Random question -- Finish this statement: If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone to school to be a teacher when I was young.  I originally went for social work, but quickly decided that was not for me.

8 comments:

  1. #9: Discovering what isn't right for you brought you closer to what does work. I think that's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #9, yep...wishing you a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #6 Ditto! She is not a favorite.
    #8 I would have said you are missing so much by not flying but today… it is a nightmare.
    #9 I got my MSW when I was 63, but it wasn’t in micro but rather macro community organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last weekend my daughter had to fly from NYC to Washington DC for business. Her plane sat at La Guardia for five hours before it finally took off. She could hav3 taken Amtrak and gotten there faster. You’re not missing much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought about being a social worker but didn't go that route, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had similar answers, Lori. I enjoyed my visit here today!! Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I get older I appreciate Madonna. I didn't care for her in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kids are just so adorable except of course if they are misbehaving. lol Your job sounds like just plain fun, mostly. I'm glad you are out there teaching. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.