Pages

Friday, December 15, 2023

Saturday 9: The Christmas Blues



Saturday 9: The Christmas Blues (1953)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Dean Martin sings that the streets are white with snow. Do you anticipate a White Christmas this year?  nope, the weather is in the 50's.  I am good with it.  I just want some snow in January and/or February.

2) He tells us he's done plenty of window shopping this season. Do you find you're influenced by a retailer's window dressing and store decor? Are you more motivated by price? Or do you do most of your shopping online, making holiday decorations irrelevant?  I mostly shop online.
 
3) Dean was born in Steubenville, OH. Though he rarely returned to his hometown, it was in his thoughts during the holidays. Every Christmas he made like Santa and sent toys to hospitalized children in the Steubenville area. Are there toys on your shopping list this year?  no, I got the kids at school bubbles and an activity book.  We bought our niece's clothes.  They are the only kids right now.

4) He had fast hands when it came to cards and before he was famous he worked as a dealer in Atlantic City. When you play cards, what's your favorite game?  I never play cards anymore.  I liked spades when I was in college.  I suppose now the likeliest game would be UNO.  I do enjoy that one.

5) Dean Martin was an avid reader ... of comic books. Especially in bed when he was on the road and couldn't sleep. Much as he enjoyed comic books, he was embarrassed by them. What do you do when you can't sleep?  I pray.  

Now let's have a few holiday-specific questions:
 
6) Every year, the United States Postal Service introduces special holiday stamps. Do you purchase them?  yes
 
7) Do you have a funny/ugly holiday sweater?  no, and I want one.
 
8) Do you wrap your presents or use gift bags?  mostly gift bags this year.  

9) We're doing Christmas karaoke! What holiday or winter-themed song will you perform? Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree.



10 comments:

  1. Bubbles and activity books is a great idea for the kids! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope you get a special Christmas sweater! If not in 23, then maybe you could buy yourself one in the after-Christmas sale. Breaking mine out always makes me happy, and I wish a little of that happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want an ugly sweater too, but I won't get one, I know. I wonder if they make ugly cardigans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #4 I play against the computer.
    #5 I used to have Christmas earrings… but now I only have one of each.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i played Spades in college, haven’t played since

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved playing Spades. You should get yourself an ugly sweater. They're fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I haven't thought of spades in years! Gift bags for me, too. Another fun Saturday 9. Happy weekend, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like a white Christmas and then I'd be okay with no more snow all winter, but PA is so gray and ugly in January and February whether we have snow or not. I enjoyed your answers today, Lori. Your kiddos are lucky to have you as as their teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No white Christmas for me, I window shop online by checking out sites just for the fun of it. Only a few toys as only a couple of small children to buy them for. Haven't played cards in years. No Christmas sweaters but I do wear Christmas Tee Shirts , I mostly use gift bags, wrapping only a few items if needed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.