Pages

Friday, December 1, 2023

Saturday 9: Rollin' Stone

 



Rollin' Stone

Saturday 9: Rollin' Stone (1958)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) The title comes from the proverb, "a rolling stone gathers no moss." What do you suppose that proverb is trying to teach us?  That if we move all of the time we will not have lasting relationships with friends/family or jobs.  We would have less responsibilities or duties because we are always moving on.  I feel like I was a bit like this for a short time after college.  I moved a lot and lived a carefree life.  It was a good experience for me as a young person, but I would not want to live like that now.
 
2) The lyrics warn us not to be lazy stay-at-homes but to go out and learn about the world around us. Tell us about a place you haven't visited yet but would like to.  I would love to go to Hawaii, London, France.  So many places.  I haven't been hardly anywhere.
 
3) Karen and Cubby were Mouseketeers on the original Mickey Mouse Club, a TV show which ran from 1955 to 1959. Then, from 1962 to 1967, local TV stations reran it in syndication. In 1989, there was a Mickey Mouse Club reboot, which launched the careers of Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilara. So The Mickey Mouse Club has entertained generations of kids. What shows did you enjoy as a child?  The Smurfs, Looney Toons, The Wonderful World of Disney.  Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers.
 
4) Karen was Karen Pendleton, among the youngest of the original Mousketeers. Producers discovered her at a local dancing school. Have you ever taken dance lessons?  Unfortunately, no.

5) When The Mickey Mouse Club ended, Karen left show business. She went to public school, graduated, got married, and had a daughter. When she was in her 30s, she was involved in a car accident that left her paralyzed from the waist down. Still, she went back to college, earning first her bachelor's and then Master's degrees in psychology. Have you considered continuing your education? What subject would you pursue?  I have considered that, but I am close to retirement.  I would just get my master's in education.
 
6) Cubby is Cubby O'Brien, a drum prodigy who began playing professionally when he was just 8 years old. After the Mickey Mouse Club he went on to The Lawerence Welk Show. As he entered his teens, he prioritized school over TV. He later returned to television as musician on The Carol Burnett Show. He also performed in concert behind The Carpenters. Do you have a favorite Carpenters song?  I like Rainy Days and Mondays, but I sang "We've Only Just Begun" as a duet with a friend in high school.  It was a goodbye to high school.
 
7) In 1958, when kids were watching the original Mickey Mouse Club during the day, adults were watching Westerns. The most popular TV shows of that year included Gunsmoke, Wagon Train and The Rifleman. Have you ever fantasized about life as a cowboy/cowgirl?  not really
 
8) Also in 1958, Dwight Eisenhower became the first President to appear on color TV. Not many Americans saw him in color, though. It wasn't until 1972 that color TVs outsold black-and-white sets. Did you ever own a black-and-white TV?  I have never personally owned a b&w tv, but my parents were given a 2nd tv that they kept in a spare bedroom when I was young.  I would watch it sometimes on the weekend.  I was always wondering what color things were though.  We had a color tv as our main tv.
 
9) Random question -- Did you pass your driver's license test on the first try?  Yes, I did.


13 comments:

  1. "We've Only Just Begun" as a farewell to high school -- what a lovely sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori, I love your background set. Try to get to Hawaii. It is beautiful there. We hope to go back in the spring. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smurfs was cute but I loved Looney Tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wonderful World of Disney! I remember that. So much to recall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had quite a collection of Smurf figures. People kept giving them to me as gifts and I didn't have the heart to tell them I didn't want them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #3 I’m happy seeing North America.
    #8 I remember the old color TV that if you moved it the color was all off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our first TV, which my parents bought in 1953, was b/w and I remember we were always watching things and saying "I'll bet that's beautiful in color" I didn't get a color TV until the 1970s. The things you watched as a kid, I watched too, but only because my KIDS watched them! Always loved MisterRogers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The generations show up in our answers to #3!! I enjoyed your Saturday 9, Lori!! Hope you are having a good weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your answers, Lori, and you have me wondering how on earth I forgot about The Wonderful World of Disney...and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom just before it! Both of those were MUST see TV when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy reading your answers...and I agree with #1. Smiles

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.