Pages

Friday, January 12, 2024

Saturday 9: Hotel California (1977)

 



Hotel California

Saturday 9: Hotel California (1977)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Don Henley called the hotel's front desk and asked, "Please bring me my wine." He was told they haven't had wine since 1969. When did you last have a glass of wine?  

I am not sure if you will remember this story, but about 4 years ago my teacher friend had a baby shower.  The girl that threw her party had it at a winery.  I never drink, but that day I was really stressed out because I was running late and I got lost, so I had a glass of wine, but just one.  It was delicious.  I do not drink.  I could drink wine though.  Fun fact, I have her baby...now 4 years old in my pre-K classroom.

2) The lyrics refer to wine as a "spirit." That is incorrect. Wines are fermented, not distilled, and have a lower alcohol content than spirits. When "Hotel California" was popular, listeners who were into wine called radio stations to let them know about the mistake. Are you a wine aficionado? Are any of your friends or family knowledgeable about wine?  

I am clueless.  The Principal at our school loves wine.  I bet she knows some things.  My teacher friend Tania probably does too.

3) In the song, Henley sings about looking for the door that will take him "back to the place I was before." Don says that refers to a loss of innocence and a longing for a simpler time. When you think about "the good old days," where does your mind wander to?  

It always goes to high school and being at the lake, but I really loved college and my life then too.
 
4) With five #1 singles, six #1 albums, and six Grammy awards, it's generally agreed that the Eagles were one of the most popular groups of the 1970s. Which decade produced most of your favorite songs? 

70's, 80's and 90's.  I stopped listening to popular music when I turned 50.  I started hating it.  Funny how that happened.
 
5) The Eagles were formed in 1971 when four of them happened to find themselves hired to play back up for Linda Ronstadt. The men found they really hit off and wanted to keep working together when the gig with Linda was up. Tell us about how you met someone important in your life.  

I feel like I should just stick with my teacher friend Tania who had the baby shower.  My first year at the Primary school, she was a teacher in ECSE (early childhood special education)...she still is, but I met her then.  Just at school.  We do things together sometimes, but mostly teacher friends at school.  She is great.  We share ideas for lessons, etc.
 
6) The Eagles are still on the road, filling big arenas for their Long Goodbye tour. One explanation for their enduring popularity is that their music spans genres. They scored hits on the rock, pop and country charts. Other popular categories of music include classical, gospel, jazz, Latin, reggae, New Age, and rap. Which do you listen to most often? Which did you listen to most recently?  

I listen to classical, gospel, latin.  I don't listen to any of those real often.  I would say gospel is the last I listened to.
 
7) In 1976, when "Hotel California" was topping the charts, the trend in home decor was vibrant. Intense copper, bright pink and vivid avocado were among the popular colors for bath towels, mats and shower curtains that year. If we were to peek into your 2024 bathroom(s), what colors would we find?  

I need to redecorate my bathrooms, but one is gray and blue and the other is crimson and cream.  I know they sound crazy, but they are pretty.
 
8) Handbags were big in 1976. Not just in popularity but in size. Purses routinely had compartments on the inside and pockets on the outside. When you leave the house, do you travel light? Or do you prefer to carry a lot with you?  

We are talking a purse right?  I like to carry my wallet and phone.  Then I add some gum, keys.  Not a ton.  I will say light.  I think a lot of teachers carry a lot though.

9) Random question -- How different is your life today than it was a year ago: (a) a lot; (b) a little); (c) not at all? 

It is a little different this year because we are taking care of my mom more.  Not a huge difference though.  She is fine now, but the weather is so crazy, we just have kept her at our house.


8 comments:

  1. Your answer to #3, about high school and The Lake, sounds just like my niece. It was during those annual vacations that she met her lifelong best friend and really came into her own. It was a joy to watch her blossom, and your words brought it all back

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 I love all genres of music … but I just can’t seem to enjoy the current pop/hiphop/rap stuff. Doesn’t have the same feel for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always prided myself on keeping current with music and liking all kinds of music, but like you, since turning 50 I find I have less interest in the new stuff...though now and then a song will catch my attention. Good for you keeping your mom close this winter. I hope she is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every now and then a new song hits me, but not often. I think streaming services make it harder to keep up with stuff, myself. It's not like it used to be when everyone was listening to the same music station on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't recall how old I was when 'popular music' became a turn-off. Nowadays I/we don't even recognize half of what's being played; even who's singing it.
    Crimson and cream sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the song, like the band, I don't drink wine and it isn't a spirit just saying silly song.

    I still have a large handbag that I can toss stuff into when I go out.

    Today I can hand write stuff and it is readable unlike a year ago when it wasn't either readable or possible to write,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your answers, Lori. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Sirius in my car so every now and then I listen to a hits channel, but I don't usually listen too long.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.