Pages

Friday, January 19, 2024

Saturday 9: Young Girl (1968)

 




Saturday 9: Young Girl (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The song is about a girl who is too young for romance. How old were you when your parents allowed you to date?  16

2) Lead singer Gary Puckett mentions the girl's perfume. What scent do you wear most often?  I do not wear perfume, but I put on Victoria's Secret Bare Vanilla or Pure Seduction lotion.

3) "Young Girl" reached #2 on the charts and stayed there for three weeks, but it never hit #1. It was stuck behind Otis Redding's "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay." Are you competitive by nature? Or would you be satisfied doing well, but not being #1?   I am really not competitive.  I am happy doing well.

4) The Union Gap got together in San Diego, California's second most populated city. Have you ever visited California? If yes, where did you go?  no

5) The Union Gap performed at a White House state dinner for special guests Prince Charles and Princess Anne. Some in attendance that night maintain that President Nixon seemed to be playing matchmaker that night between the Prince and his daughter, Tricia. Have you ever tried to fix people up? If yes, did romance result?  I don't think I have ever fixed anyone up.

6) After six Top 20 hits in three years, the Union Gap disbanded. Today Gary Puckett tours as a solo artist on the "oldies circuit" with Peter Noone of the Herman's Hermits. Without looking it up, can you name any of the Herman's Hermits hits?  no...so I did look them up because they sounded familiar.  I know the songs I'm Into Something Good and I'm Henry VIII I Am.

7) In 1968, when "Young Girl" was a hit, Jacqueline Kennedy married Aristotle Onassis. Think about the last wedding you attended. Were you closer to the bride or groom?  groom, my nephew's wedding.

8) Also in 1968, the most popular movie in theaters was Funny Girl, starring Barbra Streisand. What's the last movie you watched?  Killers of the Flower Moon...such a sad story.  It took place in Oklahoma and my family is from there.

9) Random question -- Come clean: Right now are there more dishes in your sink or clothes in your hamper?  Not much in either.  I just did laundry, but when this posts, my laundry basket will be more full than my sink.



11 comments:

  1. I have heard very good things about Killers of the Flower Moon, but I'm waiting to stream it. The running time -- I believe it's more than three hours -- made me avoid it at the theater. I admit that during a movie that long, I'm going to need a bathroom break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I streamed it on Apple TV. It is available now. Yes, it is long.

      Delete
    2. Glad to know it's on Apple TV. It's a movie I want to watch.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lori! I remember Henry the 8th. Killer of the Flower Moon will hav to wait for streaming too. We wanted to see Oppenheimer on the big screen, but it is not showing near us, and it is too long. So, we are going to order it and watch it on Saturday while it rains. I love your siggie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a beautiful day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m also looking forward to Killers of the Flower Moon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued now. I'm going to have to check out Killers of the Flower Moon. Stay warm and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Killers of the Flower Moon, now I want to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. I read it over the summer in anticipation of the movie. It is on Apple TV

      Delete
  7. Laundry does have a way of filling the hamper... and there is just me living here! I liked your 9 today, Lori. Hope you had a good Saturday and wish you a blessed week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet 16 and never been kissed. Isn't that what they used to say?

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for visiting my blog! You are always welcome here. I love Comments, so let me know you were here.